Author
RexRed
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
2018/06/22 12:08:27 (permalink)

Whenever I'm With You

New song Cakewalk peeps!

Whenever I'm With You
https://www.reverbnation.com/rexredmusicartist/song/29721100-whenever-im-with-you

Enjoy!

http://rexred.com
RexRed
Re: Whenever I'm With You 2018/06/23 06:43:23 (permalink)
Your comments are are welcome, any suggestions?

You dislike the brass at the end or the bell tinkles are too loud and irritating. I don't mind negative feedback, It is perhaps not your style of music. 

Please let me know your thoughts so I can improve, maybe my next song will be your all-time favorite! :)
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: Whenever I'm With You 2018/06/23 12:37:13 (permalink)
Not really my thing, it sounds reasonably well captured, nice instrument definition and sense of space.  The brass coming in like it did felt a little weird perhaps if it appeared earlier it might not have felt out of place.

Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
RexRed
Re: Whenever I'm With You 2018/06/23 16:02:15 (permalink)
Yes Wookiee, the brass does have a weird feel but I can appreciate the added dimension. I was going to use a harmonica but I did not have a E flat one.

I tried a solo with a D harmonica and raised it up a half step with Melodyne and it was atrocious. (you know what I mean if you have ever tried to use melodyne with a harmonica.)

I did not think the brass would work in any other place. You are right in saying it needed to be used earlier but I did not really see a place it would work unless I cut out the guitar solo because it would distract too much from that or be too busy.

It seemed like it would be too strong at the beginning of the song. As a rule I usually always introduce something like that earlier so it is established the second time.

For some reason I broke that rule I just did not want to use the lead guitar twice and I am not sure why I just wanted a change from the basic form I normally use.

I think the brass does provide a weird kind of imagery that somehow does work.

I seem to have drawn a blank with this song when it came to the instrumentation and it shows a little in the odd choices I made. :) 
SupaReels Music
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 370
Re: Whenever I'm With You 2018/06/24 18:38:32 (permalink)
You my friend have a fantastic vocal edge ... I listened to you stuff and for my little bit all I would say about this is it feels rushed and a bit rhyme'y blimey.
That said you have a real talent (IMO) and somewhere in all of your work is a key to peoples hearts ... You have a GREAT voice so I wish you luck with your songs, thankyou for sharing
Regards
Steve   
montezuma
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2520
Re: Whenever I'm With You 2018/06/25 09:16:00 (permalink)
That sounds like a nice clean and pro recording. The only thing I'd say is look to maybe introduce parts a bit more selectively so that all the bits aren't playing all the time right from start to end. I like the sound of the vocal, though it could blend in with the song more...maybe a tad different reverb on it to gel it. I just say these things as minor obs only. I think it sounds nice. 
RexRed
Re: Whenever I'm With You 2018/06/25 12:00:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SupaReels Music 2018/06/28 08:21:27
SupaReels Music
You my friend have a fantastic vocal edge ... I listened to you stuff and for my little bit all I would say about this is it feels rushed and a bit rhyme'y blimey.
That said you have a real talent (IMO) and somewhere in all of your work is a key to peoples hearts ... You have a GREAT voice so I wish you luck with your songs, thankyou for sharing
Regards
Steve   

Thanks for the nice compliment on my voice and music Steve, :)

You nailed it on this song it is, rhyme'y blimey, as I mention the word "Valentine" in the lyrics, it is like a Valentines day Hallmark card. lol  Perhaps that is what I was looking for. Sometimes "RexRed" is just a big giant red Valentines Day heart. I often try and portray that idea so as to distract people from inferring the name RexRed in a darker way. I feel like my stage name sometimes terrifies people and I try and mellow that out a bit by showing another side of it. I do love my fans and want to give them something permanent that may stand the test of time.

I do have songs with darker imagery but I use that sparingly so as to keep things on the lighter side.

When I do write a dark song somehow I just cannot picture myself making them and singing them and being represented by them.

I guess I am not looking to push the envelope, I once thought I had to be outrageous to make it, I thought that everything had been done...

The Beatles were rhyme'y blimey when they first started out. There is (IMO) more rhyme'y blimey music that even the Beatles did not discover, I want to try and find that. Maybe I will come off too bubblegum but I am willing to try.   

There will possibly be darker music to come, maybe, a (Rex) Red album. :) 

The song does have a rushed feel at the beginning I should definitely try and fix that in Melodyne.

RexRed
Re: Whenever I'm With You 2018/06/25 12:20:00 (permalink)
montezuma
That sounds like a nice clean and pro recording. The only thing I'd say is look to maybe introduce parts a bit more selectively so that all the bits aren't playing all the time right from start to end. I like the sound of the vocal, though it could blend in with the song more...maybe a tad different reverb on it to gel it. I just say these things as minor obs only. I think it sounds nice. 

Unfortunately with this song I used a song loop that I got on a website called audioblocks.com. Then I added things to make it more my own.

I get inspired by some of their song ideas so I go with them. Not always but sometimes.

I wish I had the separate tracks so I could simplify and diversify the background. Often the songs on Audioblocks have separate parts and sometimes I am stuck with what they offer. I usually make my songs from scratch but I get tired of my own same old ideas. This song is in D#, I don't think I would have ever written a song in D# :)

I can try and blend the vocal into the music better. I agree, they do not feel like one cohesive unit, they seem to be fighting each other for the same space and that is something I should be able to fix with EQing and maybe a better reverb. The music feels like a mash of frequencies and I should be able to make it more transparent.

I sensed that problem but could not quite step back and put my finger on it, Thanks for bringing it to light.

Also, maybe my pad is too loud.

Could be a few things I can check and try and resolve. I will let you know when I edit it and replace the current version with a new version. 

Thanks for listening and giving your valuable input Montezuma! :)
Wayfarer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 831
Re: Whenever I'm With You 2018/06/25 14:05:41 (permalink)
As usual Rex, your singing is so good it makes me want to quit trying. 

I know you usually write your own songs, but if you ever want to try some cover tunes with songs where you can download each track individually and mix to taste, you might want to look at JamKazam sometime. Most of their recordings are quite well done.

Bill
RexRed
Re: Whenever I'm With You 2018/06/27 06:20:47 (permalink)
Never quit trying, you have great taste in your own music, I have enjoyed it very much and I especially love your guitar playing, it is much better than what I could do! Thanks for the compliment and for listening Bill! 
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: Whenever I'm With You 2018/06/28 00:18:58 (permalink)
Lovely tune.  I think the brass works OK where it is.  If you've ever heard "Wishing You Were Here" by Chicago, the brass closes the song.

My only nit is the vocals seem a bit on the bright side.  Maybe either cut them back in volume a bit or cut just a tad off of the high end or mid range EQ. (I am listening on ear buds though).

John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
RexRed
Re: Whenever I'm With You 2018/06/28 05:51:52 (permalink)
Johnbee58
Lovely tune.  I think the brass works OK where it is.  If you've ever heard "Wishing You Were Here" by Chicago, the brass closes the song.

My only nit is the vocals seem a bit on the bright side.  Maybe either cut them back in volume a bit or cut just a tad off of the high end or mid range EQ. (I am listening on ear buds though).

John B.

Yours and the other comments have inspired me to go back to the song and work on the vocals a bit more. Tonight I will fix the rushed sounding lyrics and see if I can improve the vocal blend in the music and use better EQing. :)

Thanks for the valuable input Cakewalk peeps! 
RexRed
Re: Whenever I'm With You 2018/07/01 21:20:22 (permalink)
Okay, I went back into the song and did a major overhaul.

I listened to all of your helpful suggestions here and tried to implement them.

I worked on the main music loops and cut some of the bass out and that makes it more transparent and less muddy.

I smoothed out the volumes on the lead vocals, dubs and harmonies so they fit better into the music.

I used the LP EQ on the vocals and took out some of the screechy textures in my voice.

I took out the drums I added in the beginning and now they are only in the chorus part this also made the song less cluttered so it has more breathing room.

I have a section after the first few lines I sing where an oboe in one ear and a tuba in the other come in, I took out the oohs and ahhs during that part and they come after and I took the oboe and tuba out where the oohs and ahhs come in. I did the same thing in last verse too. This also made it less busy and cluttered and gave it more transparency and detracts less from the vocals.

I aligned the dub vocal a bit tighter with the lead vocal and did a slighty less amount of overall compression in the final mastering.

It seems I am never happy with my songs, there is always something more I feel they need.

I am starting to work more with reference tracks to see if I can better match what the pros are doing in mixing and mastering.  

I have never used reference tracks before and I figured it is time to look more closely at the mixes that are already hits and see if I can approach that level of skill.

I hope you like the changes, please let me know if anything stands out and could use some fixing.

Click the link at the top of the page, I replaced the song that was there with the new version.

or click here 

Thanks for listening Cakewalk peeps!

RR
dougk1824
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 272
Re: Whenever I'm With You 2018/07/04 15:01:36 (permalink)
Excellent vocal - the mix sounds professional to me - well done.  I don't know about the brass - not sure it fits with this genre of song, but that's a minor critique.
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Whenever I'm With You 2018/07/10 22:15:55 (permalink)
Overall... sounds good!   Your voice is certainly the centerpiece, and that is really well done.

I'm not a big fan of the brass either...  For me the song has a folk/country vibe and the brass section seems a bit out of place.   Harmonica probably would have blended well, or maybe violin?  Or maybe even something like a dobro.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1