Helpful ReplyInteresting feature I stumbled upon

Author
Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
2018/06/24 12:21:05 (permalink)

Interesting feature I stumbled upon

I can't find it listed in any of the "What's new" updates and it's a bit rough around the edges, but along with the BandLab MP3 option now built into the Export dialog, it points to work being done on integration between Cakewalk and BandLab's existing products.

To try it out, open a new project with at least one audio track. Start BandLab Assistant, and click on Sounds.

From Sounds, choose any of the Loop Packs, and audition a loop by clicking on the waveform icon to the left of the name of the loop. Let the loop finish (important). After it has finished, click and hold on the space to the right of the name of the loop you just auditioned and drag it into the audio track.

It should drop right in to the track. If you don't wait until the loop has finished auditioning, you'll get an error message, and I've found that I have to be pretty picky about exactly where I click and drag in BLA to get it to work, but work it does. It works with cells in the Matrix view, too.

And it demonstrates that the sometimes-maligned BLA is on its way to being a pipeline for transferring tracks from BandLab to Cakewalk. Bandmate records a track, uploads it to BandLab, you drag and drop it right into a project. A web-based content management system for multitrack recording!

(Or, for the tinfoil hat crowd, BandLab is that much closer to being able to slurp your just-recorded tracks from your hard drive on to their server, for drug-addled youth to rap over with depraved rhymes about weed and booty.)

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
royarn
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 427
Re: Interesting feature I stumbled upon 2018/06/24 13:55:42 (permalink)
Have been doing this, but found some o their loops need editing as there a fraction to long or short and don't loop properly,
Roy

INTEL HASWELL Core i5 4670K Z87-K MB, 16 gig DDR3 ram, 250 gig ssd 1 x 250 gig 1 x 1TB sata 2 drives,Faderport 1, Motif ES 6, Focusrite 8i6. Windows 10 64 bit. Sonar Platinum Lifetime Updates.CbB .
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Interesting feature I stumbled upon 2018/06/24 15:30:59 (permalink)
I'm pretty sure drag'n drop audio from BLA has worked like this from the outset. You can drag'n drop a file from anywhere into Sonar/Cake and so long as it's recognised as a compatible audio/midi file it will work.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
Euthymia
Re: Interesting feature I stumbled upon 2018/06/24 19:15:44 (permalink)
35mm
I'm pretty sure drag'n drop audio from BLA has worked like this from the outset. You can drag'n drop a file from anywhere into Sonar/Cake and so long as it's recognised as a compatible audio/midi file it will work.

Has it been announced as a feature or did people just discover it? I started this thread because I couldn't find it anywhere.

Do you find it as tricky as I do to grab the "handle" of the loops?

I would love for it to have the functionality that I speculated about, to be able to send tracks up and down.

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
poetnprophet
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: Interesting feature I stumbled upon 2018/06/25 16:50:32 (permalink)
Very nice little feature and I can definitely see how this will open things up for content creation and sharing/collaboration.  I was hoping something like this would develop.  

Does the loop amend itself to the project tempo, or does it have to be vice versa?

Cakewalk by Bandlab
i7 8700k, 32GB, Win 10pro
MOTU 828es, VS700(idle)
Hulk 990, NT1A
Slate Digital, Izotope, Waves
www.kdubbproductions.com
https://www.bandlab.com/kdubbproductions 
35mm
Re: Interesting feature I stumbled upon 2018/06/25 18:10:29 (permalink)
Euthymia
35mm

Has it been announced as a feature or did people just discover it? I started this thread because I couldn't find it anywhere.

Do you find it as tricky as I do to grab the "handle" of the loops?

I would love for it to have the functionality that I speculated about, to be able to send tracks up and down.

What I meant in my last reply is that I think the feature was in Sonar long before Band Lab took over Cakewalk. That is, dragging and dropping audio and midi files into Sonar is nothing new. So I think it just works with audio in BLA in the same way without any changes having to be made in Sonar/Cakewalk. I think that's why there has been no announcement specifically about that - it's not a new feature.

I just tried drag and dropping audio and midi loops from BLA in both Samplitude and FL Studio and it worked just the same. So it's not a special feature for Cakewalk.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Interesting feature I stumbled upon 2018/06/26 20:40:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Vatche 2018/06/28 04:46:10
BandLab assistant was intentionally designed to support dragging and dropping to Cakewalk so that part is a "new" feature. Glad you found some good use for it.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
Euthymia
Re: Interesting feature I stumbled upon 2018/06/26 22:38:56 (permalink)
35mm
I just tried drag and dropping audio and midi loops from BLA in both Samplitude and FL Studio and it worked just the same. So it's not a special feature for Cakewalk.

Oh, I see. I get what you mean. BandLab are just using the same API or whatever that allows you to drag and drop audio from Windows Explorer into Cakewalk or any other DAW.

I messed around with it some more and it is bi-directional, clips that you drag and drop into BLA go right to your BandLab profile. I haven't tried Exporting tracks in the dialog to see what happens, if they upload to my BandLab profile automatically.

-Erik
35mm
Re: Interesting feature I stumbled upon 2018/06/27 00:03:01 (permalink)
Euthymia
35mm

I messed around with it some more and it is bi-directional, clips that you drag and drop into BLA go right to your BandLab profile.

That's cool too. I didn't know about that one!

35mm
Re: Interesting feature I stumbled upon 2018/06/27 00:04:40 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
BandLab assistant was intentionally designed to support dragging and dropping to Cakewalk so that part is a "new" feature. Glad you found some good use for it.

Thanks for clarifying that Noel. Indeed, it's a good feature and dragging and dropping to upload to BL is very useful too.

KPerry
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3120
Re: Interesting feature I stumbled upon 2018/06/27 22:09:37 (permalink)
There's also a profile for exporting mixdowns to Bandlab that gets installed (which I haven't seen mentioned).

Windows 7 x64 SP1
SONAR x86/x64

Intel Q6600/8GB
MOTU UltraliteMk3 (USB/ASIO)
Edirol PCR300
Vatche
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: Interesting feature I stumbled upon 2018/06/28 04:48:43 (permalink)
I would love top see Bandlab cloud based audio projects seamlessly integrate with Cakewalk. A way to not only save the files on your HDD, but also click "Update to Cloud" and all selected tracks get uploaded/downloaded from your Bandlab project.
A complete online music collaboration built in Cakewalk.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1