Match up audio

Author
LanceJ
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 331
2015/01/20 21:56:59 (permalink)

Match up audio

I have imported Elton John's Rocket Man.

For fun I imported Rocket Man minus the piano, in essence, the backing tracks.

Both are audio tracks but the timing is a hair out of sync.  Is there a way to determine the tempo of each or match the beats?

Thanks,
Lance

Keeping it simple

www.sonusproject.com
Sonar X3d 64 bit , Exclusively using software synths & FX, D-Pro, Rapture, zt3a+2
Komplete 9 Ultimate, GPO3, Garritan Jazz & Big Band, EastWest, Chris Hein Horns, Presonus FireStudio Project Audio Interface, Roland A80 Midi Controller, Tannoy 501A Monitors  

Win 7 Pro 64, I7-2600, 8GB DDR3, w/Firewire

3 Replies Related Threads

Rick O Shay
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 115
    Re: Match up audio 2015/01/21 01:47:00 (permalink)
    Since this song was multitracked and mixed using analong equipment, my guess is that the track-minus-keyboard version was mixed using a different tape machine than the complete song was originally mixed on; and the speed of each machine was slightly different.  With a bunch of trial and error, you can probably use time compression or expansion (Cakewalk has this as well as 3rd party plug-ins) to match the length of the two tracks.  Best case though is that even if you match the timing, the tracks will sound like they're flanging all over the place because of the natural wow and flutter of analog playback equipment.

Ah yes.  The good ol' analog days.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re: Match up audio 2015/01/21 02:48:40 (permalink)
    Audiosnap will detect the tempo for you. For lining up the timing it might be as simple as stretching one of the clips. Hold the ctrl key down while slip editing.

If the timing issues are a little more complex then you can use audiosnap. Quantize to pool is helpful for that. Basically extract the timing from one clip to the "pool", and then apply that to the other.

For much more info on using Audiosnap and how to do it, see the video here. Audiosnap coverage starts at chapter 37. (Select that from the playlist) and there are several chapters. Audiosnap is a fairly big tool with lots of options on adjusting audio timing.
    cpkoch
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 345
    Re: Match up audio 2018/07/04 20:54:37 (permalink)
    I have several parts played on a piano that I am trying to sync up and there may be 4 of 8 beats out of sync.  Can audio snap take care of this dilemma? If yes .... how?

Sonar Platinum, HP Z210 Desktop PC,  Windows 10  64 Bit, 12  GB RAM,  Steinberg UR22 Interface Unit,  M-Audio Keyboard Studio USB MIDI Keyboard, APEX-TK -Condenser Unidirectional MIC, Audio Technica AT2020 USB MIC

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1