switched on mute guitar patches

Author
LENovik
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
2018/07/18 01:48:04 (permalink)

switched on mute guitar patches

Hi,
I'm doing a cover of Soul Sacrifice, by Santana. There is a part near the end of the first half of the song where Carlos plays the same note multiple  times, but then 2nd and third of each triplet are muted guitar sounds--whereas the 1st of each triplet is a regular (distorted/sustained) guitar sound. Thus, I would think I need a Santana like guitar sound that plays a muted sound when  not pressed with as much velocity. I've looked at my several hardware synths, but can't find a suitable sound. I'm not at all familiar with the internal synth sounds of Sonar. Does anyone know of one that might come close to this?
Thanks.
LNovik

6 Replies Related Threads

frragnarsson
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: switched on mute guitar patches 2018/07/20 11:18:03 (permalink)
    If you have Dimension Pro or Rapture Pro, they have muted guitars.
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: switched on mute guitar patches 2018/07/20 14:34:01 (permalink)
    Bright Electric Guitar, by Sonivox
    https://www.pluginboutiqu...Bright-Electric-Guitar

Includes multi-velocity mutes and tones plus a great collection of nice, bright chords that will really cut through your mix

Has a few layered Strat samples that velocity switch from mutes to sustained.  There is a trial version available.  Probably not the best guitar sample library, but it is cheap! 

I have Dimension Pro that came with Sonar, and I am not aware of any velocity switching guitar mutes.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    LENovik
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re: switched on mute guitar patches 2018/07/21 09:36:38 (permalink)
    Thanks. I'll look into both of these. However, after 1st asking this question, I have been continuing to think of other solutions to this problem. As I had said, I don't have a satisfactory switch on mute sound in any of my synths. However, I now realize I could create a combination sound, which I don't usually attempt to get into. One sound, the wet, sustained lead guitar that I am using could be programmed to only come on with a certain higher velocity. I could then enter a separate muted guitar sound that would only play with softer velocities. I'm going to try this first, since I'm generally more familiar with my hardware synths.
    Thanks again for your input.
    LNovik
    abacab
    Re: switched on mute guitar patches 2018/07/21 14:22:18 (permalink)
    I think your idea should work, especially if you are already familiar with your hardware synths.  Any synth capable of creating a multi-timbral patch should be capable.

I just created a two part layered multi patch in SampleTank without much fuss, using a mute guitar sample on the first part, and a sustain guitar on the second part.  By editing the "Velocity Lo/Hi" ranges for each part, I was able to create a velocity cross-fade between the two sounds. By setting the mute to trigger only for low velocity, and the sustain to trigger only for higher velocity. You can provide some overlap with the velocity ranges if you desire some more cross-fade between the sounds.

It would probably take some experimentation to get the exact sound you are looking for, but the approach should work.

Good luck!

Of course you could probably do the same thing by editing an SFZ file with velocity layers and using the resulting instrument in an SFZ based synth like Dimension Pro, or the free sforzando.  But using what you already know would probably be the fastest solution. 

For future reference, here is a quick visual SFZ editor tool and a free SFZ player:

http://mildon.me/sfzdesigner
    https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html

frragnarsson
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: switched on mute guitar patches 2018/07/24 12:11:21 (permalink)
    I was only pointing to muted guitar sounds that are in Dimensio Pro to mimic the effect. In my mind the solution was to have two hand edited tracks to get the effect.

But I second that to create such a track is not hard, neither in Sampletank or in an SFZ file.
    Wouldn't surprise me if something usable is already in Sampletank.
    abacab
    Re: switched on mute guitar patches 2018/07/24 18:58:09 (permalink)
    frragnarsson

But I second that to create such a track is not hard, neither in Sampletank or in an SFZ file.
    Wouldn't surprise me if something usable is already in Sampletank.

I agree, SampleTank is good to go with the basic elements.  Except for having a guitar preset that already crossfades from muted to full sustain.  Was just using an example of a DIY sound, rather than looking for an already designed preset for that velocity layered sound.  The advantage with a multitimbral instrument like ST3 is that you can assign both sounds to a multi, like you would do in a hardware synth.  Then use velocity ranges to trigger a layered sound.

But since the OP was asking about a sound in Sonar, it wasn't clear what version or what synths he had available.  The tip about SFZ is that you can create an instrument from wave samples that is playable in either Cakewalk Dimension Pro, or any SFZ based synth.  If the OP has Dimension Pro, some samples are already there that could be put to use with a bit of SFZ editing.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1