Building a wooden case for my U-bass

Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
2018/07/24 03:47:45 (permalink)

Building a wooden case for my U-bass

TL;DR - I bought a Kala U-bass and am building a wooden case using math, intuition, and a few decent tools in a cruddy "workshop". Photos below.

-----

Looks like my previous attempt at posting this thread got corrupted when I tried to edit directly after posting  If it ends up back up tomorrow or something, mods feel free to remove this (not that I have to tell you guys that, haha)

Well in any case, I bought a fretless Kala U-bass a few months ago for a few reasons... one being it's  extremely lightweight and very small and portable, so it's very much a grab-and-go instrument if the place has a good bass amp... another being that I wanted something to emulate that upright/fretless sound, and I think the fretless ukuele bass does a good job of that. Probably some other reasons including that I had disposable income and have been interested in buying one for probably 6 or 7 years now 

In any case, enough jibber jabber; I'm building a case for it! Photos below..

Preliminary CAD drawing in Anim8or to get an idea of the case

I'm using MDF which is very strong but insanely heavy, and I needed to reduce the weight as you'll see below. This is the plot for essentially the "negatives" of the supports.

Support holes cut, wood attached on top and bottom.

There she is in her current state. Tomorrow I'll be cutting a few more of the support holes to reduce the weight even further, and trying to get the overall weight to no more than ~10lbs (as it sits at a whopping 15lbs, AFTER reducing the weight a bit already). Once I've done that, I'll add more of the thin wood to the sides that have been cut, fill the holes with foam, and then start cutting foam for the actual interior.

This is my first BIG project like this, and I'm loving every part of it (EXCEPT for in cases where my tools are garbage, like where my table saw that is incredibly dangerous hacing no fence or GUARD, and is extremely loud). Any tips are appreciated - especially on keeping my workspace organized, getting my cuts and general work to look nice and neat, and any cosmetic ideas are welcome.

More photos tomorrow.

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3

1 Reply Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Building a wooden case for my U-bass 2018/07/26 14:26:00 (permalink)
    I bought a ready made case for mine.

Simples.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1