Helpful ReplyDoes Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support?

Author
jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
2017/08/24 19:09:04 (permalink)

Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support?

I wrote to Cakewalk several weeks ago about a problem I am having recording audio.    I didn't get a response.  I wrote again last week, no response. 

In contrast, when I contact VSL or MOTU, I get a reply the next day.  I cannot even find a phone number for Cakewalk!  

Is this an anomaly, or is CW support really going downhill?

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/08/24 22:20:35 (permalink)
+1 (1)
I wouldn't say it's going downhill, I mean it's already at the bottom, there is no further down .
As I'm sure you are aware, it has been like this for year and a half 2 years, some would say much longer, much longer. There was a thread on the main SONAR page recently which some disgruntled user resurrected, it goes back to 2006 , and I don't think things have changed much. John boy decided to lock the thread to get rid of it, guess it's better to hide the truth and stick your head in the sand, seems to be the way it is.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

SB3LL
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/08/25 14:49:03 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Submitted a fault report from within Sonar - Waited and no response. Created Support request #355180 on 8/18 referencing the previous fault report and got a Robot Generated acknowledgement with the case number.  Wed 8/23 sent another E-mail asking for response and got nothing.

I have another Digital Music Software company trying to work with me on my problem. I have supplied all the details and crash dump info to them but they need to get with Cakewalk Support to move forward. I have supplied all of this info and the typical info to Cakewalk in my User Profile and E-mails mentioned above.

Please reply to my Cries for Help before I jump off the ledge !

BTW - Sent a copy of this Post to cakewalk support, but I expect it will promptly be ignored.........

Thanks ( I think ? ) 
Cakewalk User ID: SB3LL
midori4000
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/08/28 17:57:11 (permalink)
Gibson is their parent company. I tried calling them, but got no traction. Perhaps if many folks call?

@Cakewalk: I've used your products for 15 years, but this lack of support is ridiculous and may cause me to leave Sonar behind.

Software: Sonar Pro

Controller: Yamaha S80
Main VSTs: Kontakt5
Audio & MIDI Interface: Presonus AudioBox USB
Computer: Dell Precision 3620, Intel Core i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30Ghz, 16GB RAM, running Windows 10 64bit
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 814
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/09/01 18:22:40 (permalink)
jsg
I wrote to Cakewalk several weeks ago about a problem I am having recording audio.    I didn't get a response.  I wrote again last week, no response. 

In contrast, when I contact VSL or MOTU, I get a reply the next day.  I cannot even find a phone number for Cakewalk!  

What's your support ticket number? I'm not seeing anything in the system that's open. The last case we have from you was responded to on: Date:Wed, 12 Jul 2017 18:13:07 -04:00
post edited by Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk] - 2017/09/06 15:54:54

Best Regards,
Seth
oudsies
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/09/02 07:11:00 (permalink)
I recently bought Sonar Professional.
I'm very disappointed with the product.
Is there any way i can get out of my contract?
ljb500
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/09/02 08:24:38 (permalink)
I contacted cakewalk with a question prior to purchasing sonar and got a response back within a couple of hours , seems they are pretty keen to respond when they think they are going to take your money. The Question I sent to support after purchasing however never got a response. Shame, cos the quick response prior to purchasing helped sway my decision to buy.
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/09/07 17:42:28 (permalink)
I've mentioned this before, and hopefully it was well-received by CW, but the issue I have experienced (not here, but in general), when you have a product as complex as this, and user community much more complex in how they use the product or where the lines of actual issues vs. show me how issues are super-gray, your support staff become inundated with RTM (Read The Manual) calls. 

More, Tech Support is free with purchase, and there's no available priority support option.

There's three ways of looking at this problem. 1) Simplify the product (ala Dave Thomas' strategy for KFC (Google him)), which we can't do, 2) Restrict support, or 3) Expand Support (new-hires).

It's tough to do this, but the alternative is to leave things alone, which many would argue has not been very successful.

My advice:
1) All call-in Free Support is Callback only. You open a ticket with a ticket-taking team, and when a Support Engineer is open, you can get a callback.
2) Priority (paid) Support will allow you to queue and be connected to an Engineer. Premium paid support (future) will give you an on-call duty Engineer, which would be to support late-night users--I doubt anyone would need this on any regular basis for now.
3) Support Engineers have specific areas of skill/training, which makes them experts in things like MIDI, General Sonar, Editor, Plug-in Support, etc.
4) Publish internal wait-times/resolution to upper management. This is a very important step. What improvements can you make without knowing your current metrics? I'm assuming they do this now.
5) Online/emailed support is handled with the same Engineers, but they rotate between calls (1 online case per 4 calls taken). Or, rotate Engineers between calls and online cases. All cases must be acknowledged with a ticket # and expected tech response time-frame. Confidence in SLA's must be built.
6) Get Zoom or GoToMeeting screen-sharing. Support Engineers can help much more efficiently if they can see your screen.
7) Draw some lines between Tech Support and consultation. If it's a training issue that will last longer than 10-15 minutes, it needs to be a consultation at extra cost. Enough of these types of calls will pay for the trainers. Look at it the way Smart-Phone games are today. You get the game cheap. The add-on help/power costs extra, because the expert players may not need the extra help (self-help, like me). It will also encourage forum use and downloading videos. 

Anyway, there's a lot of things to consider here. I do sincerely hope CW is actively seeking to invest some TLC here.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/09/07 17:54:30 (permalink)
I've worked in software technical support for 20 years and can certainly vouch for the ideas you've outlined. They can work, provided you have the right personnel in the right system.  For example, we have multiple levels of support with channels available for some levels and not others, training per discipline, internally monitored SLAs, remote support (Team Viewer, Webex, GoToMeeting, etc.), and definite lines between support, training and consulting.  Granted, things may be still missed on occasion but that tends to be the exception.

I'd imagine the most difficult part would be getting this type system set up in the first place; time, resources and $$.  And of course, you'd have to be confident that the expense will pay for itself in the future. 

Anyhow...  whether this could work in practice for DAW software I suppose is a bit of an unknown, but I certainly like the way you've presented your case!  

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/09/07 22:09:18 (permalink)
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
jsg

What's your support ticket number? I'm not seeing anything in the system that's open. The last case we have from you was responded to on: Date:Wed, 12 Jul 2017 18:13:07 -04:00

Yes, this is true, you have the date and time correct of my last response from your company.  Here is the email:

Hi again,

Unfortunately, I believe the Problem Reporter feature in customer accounts is no longer available. We apologize for any inconvenience. Our development team is now checking for customer reported issues in the Problem Reports section of the forum instead.

Best regards,

Sean Buckley
Product Support
Cakewalk, Inc.

Seems like it's merry-go-round "support"; no phone number, no problem reporter, so I send emails describing my issue and I got the above email back.   This is not technical support.   About 80% of the issues I have used the Problem Reporter to report do not ever get fixed, some of the issues are several years old.  

And why would this post suddenly get moved to "Cakewalk Store"?   What do bug reports have to do with the store?
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
Administrator
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/09/07 23:08:22 (permalink)
jsg
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
jsg

Yes, this is true, you have the date and time correct of my last response from your company.  Here is the email:

Hi again,

Unfortunately, I believe the Problem Reporter feature in customer accounts is no longer available. We apologize for any inconvenience. Our development team is now checking for customer reported issues in the Problem Reports section of the forum instead.

Best regards,

Sean Buckley
Product Support
Cakewalk, Inc.

Seems like it's merry-go-round "support"; no phone number, no problem reporter, so I send emails describing my issue and I got the above email back.   This is not technical support.   About 80% of the issues I have used the Problem Reporter to report do not ever get fixed, some of the issues are several years old.  

The Problem Reporter Form was removed from the site months back. The form always contained the disclaimer that it would not put a customer in touch with a support representative, but was continually being used as an avenue to try and request support directly. Understandably, that was problematic. 

The system backend was designed to be automated and to parse reports from the Automatic Fault reporter built into SONAR. All data that was manually input into the Problem Report form is still in the system, but we are no longer allowing additional manual submissions. It is only for automatic reports moving forward.

We're now requesting that users post bugs in the Problem Reports subforum, as support mentioned in their e-mail. QA/Development will help verify and log the case internally on a customer's behalf with proper supporting information. If you have existing CWBRN numbers, mentioning them in the forum post will help prevent duplicates in our system.

jsg 
And why would this post suddenly get moved to "Cakewalk Store"?   What do bug reports have to do with the store?

The Problem Report subforum is for posting and verifying product issues. This thread and the replies are about Cakewalk's support policy. This is a more appropriate subforum for the discussion.

Best Regards,
Seth
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/09/13 21:29:35 (permalink)
What a load of BS. Could we have a definitive statement of Cakewalks support policy along with the required steps to access and follow-up until resolved? That doesn't sound unreasonable. What Cake is doing is unreasonable and sounds more like a shell game that anything else.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
Administrator
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/09/14 17:28:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ampfixer 2017/09/20 17:22:32
ampfixer
What a load of BS. Could we have a definitive statement of Cakewalks support policy along with the required steps to access and follow-up until resolved? That doesn't sound unreasonable. What Cake is doing is unreasonable and sounds more like a shell game that anything else.

• We ask that if users find issues they report them here: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Problem-Reports-f77.aspx
    • Quality Assurance will help verify and post responses here when able. This may involve forum and/or e-mail exchanges between the user and QA.
    • If it's determined to be a coding bug, we will log the case internally and tag it as customer reported. 
    • If you have legacy Problem Reporter CWBRN numbers, please include them in your post.
    • We can not make promises or provide timetables for individually reported issues, this is always subject to Developmental needs, concerns, impact, and current or future feature development. 
  • The Automatic Fault Reporter built into SONAR sends reports into our automated system.
    • We encourage users to Contact Support and/or place a note in their Problem Reports post(s), if you have uploaded a crash that would be of relevant interest for QA\Development. 

Best Regards,
Seth
alovell
Apparently not. 2017/09/14 19:56:54 (permalink)
The answer appears to be no.  I go back all the way to the Turtle Beach/CWPA days with Cakewalk, which had excellent phone support, but I'm going to have to bail at this point.  A product as infernally complex as this needs tech support, period, end of story.  I'd gladly pay a few bucks more, why the hell wouldn't I?  Adobe does it all day long with Photoshop, I'm sure there are any number of examples.
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/09/15 17:56:29 (permalink)
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
ampfixer

• We ask that if users find issues they report them here: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Problem-Reports-f77.aspx
    • Quality Assurance will help verify and post responses here when able. This may involve forum and/or e-mail exchanges between the user and QA.
    • If it's determined to be a coding bug, we will log the case internally and tag it as customer reported. 
    • If you have legacy Problem Reporter CWBRN numbers, please include them in your post.
    • We can not make promises or provide timetables for individually reported issues, this is always subject to Developmental needs, concerns, impact, and current or future feature development. 
  • The Automatic Fault Reporter built into SONAR sends reports into our automated system.
    • We encourage users to Contact Support and/or place a note in their Problem Reports post(s), if you have uploaded a crash that would be of relevant interest for QA\Development. 

Thank you for the guidelines. This is what we all need to know. If this system is working why do I keep reading about people that claim they're not getting a response when following these directions?

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Chuck Wettish
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/11/28 20:30:07 (permalink)
Hello Cakewalk???

I have submitted a simple question, via your support email about future activation of your products after your activation servers have stopped.  It's been 2 business days and no response from a human.  I'm sorry to be impatient but I'm trying to plan my DAW future and I need to know what my options are.

case number is 360730

Here is the body of my email.

I just purchased Sonar Professional. I will not be installing it for a few weeks, while I wait for my new computer. I've heard that Gibson is dropping Sonar and I do not want to stuck with a program I cannot activate , on another computer, in the future, once the servers have gone down. I understand the offline activation process but my question is this: Once I receive the .dat file after uploading the .crq file, will I be able to re-use that .dat file on another machine, in the future, once the Cakewalk servers close.

I have the serial number, is it possible to just use the serial number in the future?  Is this different from “activation”?

Thank you.
Chuck

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/11/28 21:31:25 (permalink)
As long as the servers are functional use the current activation methods. After that read this from http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3687511
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]

FAQ:
Q. What if the cakewalk site goes down - will we be able to reinstall and activate our software that is paid for and owned?
A. If and when Cakewalk's servers are taken down, we will issue a mechanism to activate software you own, without needing access to the internet. We're working on the mechanics of this and we'll provide more details as available. At present online activation is fully functional.

gordonmilton
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/12/28 13:59:11 (permalink)
My god..How frustrating. I use to use Sonar for years till I got a Mac and went to Logic. Then I bought Dimension Pro as it was suppose to work on some Mac operations systems. I wrote to them as the installer would not work. NO REPLY ..Ticket number 361921. This is not the first time I have had no response. Appalling service. They were also suppose to be working on a Mac version of Sonar. That has gone quiet too. URGHHHH.
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2017/12/29 03:24:16 (permalink)
gordonmilton
My god..How frustrating. I use to use Sonar for years till I got a Mac and went to Logic. Then I bought Dimension Pro as it was suppose to work on some Mac operations systems. I wrote to them as the installer would not work. NO REPLY ..Ticket number 361921. This is not the first time I have had no response. Appalling service. They were also suppose to be working on a Mac version of Sonar. That has gone quiet too. URGHHHH.

Hey gordonmilton . . . perhaps you're late to the wake party for Cakewalk, they have gone out of business about a month ago. So redirect your frustration towards Gibson who closed it all down, with no paddles or lifeboats issued as of yet. It now appears the "appalling service" was due to lack of resources.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Edwin Pink
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2018/01/17 20:47:20 (permalink)
I have been trying to get in touch with Cakewalk for over a month and have three ticket numbers and have had no response. They just pain suck when it comes to customer service. I will have to drop them as they are ruining my business.
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2018/01/18 00:12:36 (permalink)
Edwin Pink
I have been trying to get in touch with Cakewalk for over a month and have three ticket numbers and have had no response. They just pain suck when it comes to customer service. I will have to drop them as they are ruining my business.

Since Cakewalk were shut down by Gibson, who own Cakewalk, several weeks ago I doubt customer service exists any more.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
2:43AM
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1147
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2018/01/18 12:59:00 (permalink)
Edwin Pink

Horrible place to post your first post!   Cakewalk is dead.  However, we're still here to help.
Tepperman
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2018/07/26 03:15:56 (permalink)
No support- no support number- nothing.  I also have been trying to get in touch with cakewalk support and when I click on the send an email it brings me back to their lame support online help. guys give me a friggin number to call? A human? please
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2018/07/26 08:55:39 (permalink)
This thread refers to a company that no longer exists. Gibson shut down Cakewalk operations in Nov 2017.

Support for Cakewalk by BandLab is available here, Their support request forum is in the upper right of the page. Depending on the question, they may be able to help with old Gibson/Cakewalk issues.
ry65
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2018/08/01 21:31:14 (permalink)
I have had cakewalk for about 9 years,,, but now I have Presonus Studio One 4, had it about 5 years with the upgrades... Sonar Platinum for about 4 years,,, but now they want you to pay 250.00 for Upgrades,, wtf, just paid for the upgrades, and then they sell the Program.,,, I just don't get it any more...  I wish that someone would just start answering our Questions.. I have a Masters Degree in Business, and I am not getting wtf has happened......  Rocket 
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Does Cakewalk Still Have Tech Support? 2018/08/03 22:33:46 (permalink)
Cakewalk no longer wants you to pay for anything. If you are trying to reclaim funds spent while Cakewalk was owned by Gibson you are beating a dead horse. Since the program is now free everything has changed.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1