Using CBB w/Ozone 8 and Neutron 2

Author
RexRed
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
2018/08/07 03:57:27 (permalink)

Using CBB w/Ozone 8 and Neutron 2

Anyone been to splice.com and got the subscription for the Ozone 8 Advanced and Neutron 2?

They have a subscription for both of the mixing and mastering plugins by Izotope that work seamlessly within CBB.

I have learned how to use some of the new tools that come within these plugin programs and I am starting this thread to give updates on what I encounter so that I can bounce new techniques off the knowledgeable techies here in this forum and possibly gain greater insight into the various features within Ozone and Neutron and how they interface with CBB.

For instance, even though I am putting Neutron in the effects bin on each channel I still find myself using Pro Channel's compressor and EQ just to initially round out the sounds in each track.

Someone once told me that EQing can be undone, unlike reverb which once added it is hard or near impossible to remove. I wonder if undoing EQing later down the chain can introduce noise though.

Please use this thread to share any insight you encounter in your use of these Izotope product as they relate to mixing and mastering in CBB. Let's open these programs up and have a discussion on the fine and minute details.

I am currently mixing and mastering 6 new albums I have created. Last night I released one of them on Imusiciandigital it will take a month or so for it to be released to all of the major online music stores. 

By using Ozone for mastering it suggested (through its music algorithms) that I master my songs hotter than I usually do with much more high end (and bass). Maybe I have been mastering my songs too dull sounding (these old ears)...
Also this is the first time I have ever encountered a "dynamic EQ" and learned how to set up dynamic cuts and boosts.

They make a lot of difference in the transparency and dynamics with the overall landscape of the song.

I have also learned that I can make so many edits in these plugins that the song can run itself aground and I need to take all of the plugins out and start over. 

What are your experiences with these programs and what can you share with us to help learn them better?

I am spending a lot of time watching YouTube videos to catch up on the features. I have used Ozone 5 but a lot has changed.

I wish they still had the meter bridge in Ozone 8, I think that has been removed or I am not sure how to access "spectragrams" if they are still there in 8. 

Best to you all in Cakewalk land!
RR

Please use this thread for even remotely related comments! :)

6 Replies Related Threads

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Using CBB w/Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 2018/08/07 11:33:36 (permalink)
    Insight (Meter Bridge) keeps popping up in iZotope surveys regarding paying for it. IIRC, it was last deployed with Ozone 5 (advanced?) and has carried forward. It may also have been included in bundles, but seems their intent was to spin it off all along. If you own anything it was deployed with, it will install the newest version for you.

Regarding chains, be very conscious of what you are passing to the next plugin (plugins are stupid and won't care). You can EQ multiple times, but reduction is more effective than increases. Early on in the chain, you very much want to shelf EQ highs/lows that do not contribute to the instrument before passing it along. An audio microscope (parametric EQ, high gain, high Q, swept through frequency) is a good indicator of what contributes or not.

Delay based FX "smear" audio, so is easy to go from crisp to dull if get carried away. Before using such, ensure the signal you feed it is what contributes. Compounding unnecessary audio can mask another track, so a second shelving after other FX can mitigate this depending on usage. For reverb particularly, just barely audible, and then backing off a smidge is more common.

That said, there is no cookbook, and artist interpretation applies; so if the end result is desired, how you use FX is up to you.
    post edited by mettelus - 2018/08/07 16:02:08

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    RexRed
    Re: Using CBB w/Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 2018/08/08 08:06:37 (permalink)
    mettelus
    Regarding chains, be very conscious of what you are passing to the next plugin (plugins are stupid and won't care). You can EQ multiple times, but reduction is more effective than increases. Early on in the chain, you very much want to shelf EQ highs/lows that do not contribute to the instrument before passing it along. An audio microscope (parametric EQ, high gain, high Q, swept through frequency) is a good indicator of what contributes or not.

I like what you have said here,
    I don't use shelf boosts and cuts enough to balance out tracks. It is such a simple but much overlooked concept.

The sweep "audio microscope" never heard that description before, I love it! It is a vital way of finding where the power lies in a track to get the most out of a boost or cut.

Thanks for your input here!
    RexRed
    Re: Using CBB w/Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 2018/08/18 01:29:06 (permalink)
    I am trying to learn how to sidechain with Neutron 2 and Cakewalk but unfortunately all of the tutorials on youtube are with other DAWS...

Cakewalk has tracks, sends and buses and I can't seem to transpose the learning with another DAW to Cakewalk's interface.

Does anyone have a webpage that explains this very process?

Thanks!
    RexRed
    Re: Using CBB w/Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 2018/08/18 02:27:24 (permalink)
    If someone could make a checklist of how to sidechain with Neutron 2 and CBB

that would be very helpful

i.e.
    for instance

1. have a bass and bass drum track 
    2. create send on x track or create new bus or track etc.
    3. select ext in Neutron 2 dropdown
    4. link x band to ext
    5. drop Neutron 2 into effects bin of x track

If you can give directions for both types EQ and compressor that would also be helpful.

If i can learn how to do this I will make a 4k tutorial for youtube to help other artists learn this easier.

:)
    RexRed
    Re: Using CBB w/Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 2018/08/18 11:04:33 (permalink)
    I figured out how to sidechain using Neutron 2 in CBB.

I made a 4k 60p video showing how it is done.

I think I am doing it right but I am hoping if anyone can add comments and possibly give me some pointers you will check it out and leave a response.

I will post a link to the video here once it is rendered, uploaded and processed by YouTube. 

It was easier to do than I thought and it is easier to do in Cakewalk than some of the other videos of other DAWs show. Perhaps it is the newer version that I am using that makes it easier.

I have used sidechaining in Cakewalk before with the PC4K S-Type Bus Compressor but this method is much more surgical and precise.

Check back here for the video in about an hour or so, it should be ready.

I will be making a lot of Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 Videos with CBB in hopes to drum up more support and users of the world's best DAW! :)  
    RexRed
    Re: Using CBB w/Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 2018/08/18 20:36:15 (permalink)
    Cakewalk by Bandlab and Neutron 2 side-chaining tracks.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNs5obaTA-0&feature=youtu.be

In this tutorial I side-chain a bass and drum track and also a pad and a vocal track demonstrating how to have two instances of side-chains using Neutron 2 in Cakewalk by Bandlab.

Please subscribe and click the bell for new video updates.

Comment just to say hi or if there are better ways to do this, I am new to this so any tips are welcome!

RR

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1