Electronics... my findings

Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
2018/08/12 16:40:18 (permalink)

Electronics... my findings

//Hopefully it's fine to post this here and not in CH//
So for the first time ever, I decided I'd do some real messing around with electronics - primarily a set of passive speakers and some signal amps. I dismantled an old battery powered iPhone dock with speakers that I probably got for $10 and took out the tweeters and amp. I've also got an old stereo system with speakers wire outputs that I'm testing with.
I'm mostly looking to see if someone with experience can corroborate what I found after about and hour and a half gumming around with this stuff:

1) A decent amplifier can push cheaper speakers REALLY far; I hooked the old tweeters from the phone dock to the stereo and could get them WAY louder than I've ever heard them, without ANY distortion (although being so small, shallow and cheap quality, they're super bright and tinny-sounding)
2) A crappy amplifier sounds bad even on GOOD speakers; I managed to run a signal directly from my audio interface THROUGH the amp from the phone dock and then into the speakers from the stereo. Audio quality was horrendous (although I think with proper, solid connections set up and soldered it could actually be made to sound a bit better, so this could be slightly biased by the fact that I only touched the wires to the different contact points. In addition, some part of the circuit introduces a high pass filter so no lows came through at all.)
3) All speakers need either internal or external amplification/power?; I hooked one of the stereo speakers to a 1/4" cable running directly into an output of on audio interface, but can't really get a particularly high level of volume, nothing close to my powered monitors or what I can get when the speakers are attached to the stereo.

This is all super-interesting! It makes me want to get into doing some real electrical stuff for fun. I'm wide open to tips and thoughts, esp. stuff regarding amplifiers and tweeters/woofers and whatnot. I can definitely see why building speaker boxes and stuff is a real hobby for some people.

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3

1 Reply Related Threads

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Electronics... my findings 2018/08/15 15:17:14 (permalink)
    On the first point. Yes and no. Yes a decent amplifier can really drive cheap speakers. No it probably won't last. Depending on the impedance and power handling ability of the speaker it might only play loud for 30 seconds before the amp blows it. Kinda like the time I seen a friend plug a 115 volt circular saw that was accidentally wired into 220 volt power. Ran like heck for about 10 seconds. Could have sawed through a 10ft redwood. It was all downhill from there. Smoke happened.

On the second point. A crappy amplifier is.................... well..................a crappy amplifier. Ain't no speaker in the world going to change that.

Point three- You were attempting to get audio out of a low impedance output. That's actually designed to go into another stage of amplification. Hence the reason they call it a preamp. When you get into gain staging you will see the stages. The stage you tested was roughly stage three after the 1st stage-mic or audio input to  pre amp 1 with probably an additional stage inside the interface. Each stage is a small amount of gain until you get to the large output of the speaker amp.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1