Helpful ReplyBlack rats anyone?

Author
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
2018/08/16 03:20:08 (permalink)

Black rats anyone?

Friends,

Thought I'd ask here since so many talents and knowledge under the radar in our personal lives outside our dedication to the Reaper DAW. Someone may have experience and thought of a solution. Words of wisdom, advice.

The plague has descended in our small island of Paradise on the Oregon coast.

Black rats, attic rats or whatever they are called. Wonder of Creation in their adaptation and skill. In the current state of the battle, the rats are smarter than I are. Neighbor to the north is also infested.

They can bend their bones to squeeze into a crack less than a half inch thick so on the mission to seal up everything where they can come in. Several days of hell trying to keep one step ahead. Did the urban legend of hanging mothball (napthalene) bags to repel them. They love it. Sonic repellents claimed to be worthless as well.

Must have trapped one of the critters inside because there was a pile of sawdust where they chewed their way through the garage door to get out.

What I know is that they are nocturnal feeders. Crap load of noise between the walls as they organize for the nightly raid outside. They only go about 30 meters max from where they find a place since they will be killed by other populations if they wander onto the other rat's turf.

Tried snap traps with peanut butter and then cheese. No takers. Set up glue traps. No takers either, but they will chew their arm off to get free.

The "warfarin" type poison pellets and the like not a good idea inside because the rat will definitely ingest the pellets and die inside a wall resulting in a major excavation to find where the smell in coming from.

Any advice?

John
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Black rats anyone? 2018/08/16 03:29:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2018/08/17 18:23:14
See if you can teach them to bounce/jump on a bed, then stick some Velcro on the ceiling?

On a related note, have you heard Lionel Richie's retake of 'Dancing on the ceiling'?

Oh, what a feeling

When there's Velcro on the ceiling

Oh, what a feeling

When there's Velcro on the ceiling

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Black rats anyone? 2018/08/16 10:10:41 (permalink)
.22 air rifle firing hollow points. Preferably with a scope and moderator.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Black rats anyone? 2018/08/16 12:09:46 (permalink)
JohnKenn

Any advice?

Move.

No, just kidding.

Buy a big snake.

Seriously, call a professional.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
rcklln
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: Black rats anyone? 2018/08/16 12:53:25 (permalink)
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Black rats anyone? 2018/08/16 14:51:10 (permalink)
Did you put a dab of something rat-tasty in the center of the glue trap? Did you use the big glue traps, I think they are 5x8 inches or similar? I've had the best success with those.

Cheese I think they laugh at. I don't know how the mice-rat-cheese connection began. Peanut butter only slightly better. You might try a lot of sunflower seeds at the center of a big glue trap.

And then you've got only one.

Poisons will kill the neighbor's dog if he eats a poisoned dead rat. Which, of course, he will. Wouldn't you???

Random thought - find their hidey hole where they nest. Buy a few cans of really sweet, nasty room deodorizing spray. Something heavy on the fake lavender / rose / just disgustingly artificially sweet. Blast those cans up in there. It might drive them out. Worst case scenario, the rats smell better.

good luck!

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
JohnKenn
Re: Black rats anyone? 2018/08/16 17:03:20 (permalink)
Some good tips to run with. Patching every place they got in and there were many. If the wife weren't allergic to dogs, would rent several rat terriers and put them in the attic for a few days.

The idea of sunflower seeds on the glue traps may work. Cheese and peanut butter not on their menu.

A sign that I might be getting on top of the problem. No rat noise for 4 days now. They have moved next door and my neighbor is waking up at night to an increased circus between her walls. The pros coming in next week.
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Black rats anyone? 2018/08/17 18:09:45 (permalink)
JohnKenn

The "warfarin" type poison pellets and the like not a good idea inside because the rat will definitely ingest the pellets and die inside a wall resulting in a major excavation to find where the smell in coming from.

Any advice?

John

There are several rodenticides on the market that cause dehydration in the target, causing them to leave your house to go find water (presumably you haven't given them a source of water) or die before they leave, which leaves no odor since they're all dried out.  Sounds kind of cruel and creepy to me, but that's what they get for coming into your house undocumented.  

Also, rats do eventually figure out bait traps.  I did not realize this until reading about it.  They even suggest leaving bait out before you bait a trap, so they'll get used to the free meal before you set the trap and poison them.  

I like the velcro idea too.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
JohnKenn
Re: Black rats anyone? 2018/08/18 00:05:01 (permalink)
Was looking at the dehydration stuff but may not have to do anything since I sent them all to my neighbor who says the festivities in the walls start just after sunset.

Tried the velcro as per Matron's advice and it worked great. Just didn't get any rats among the catch.

The critters are smart and do figure out the traps. We had one snap a few days ago but didn't nail the taker. Since then, they have completely avoided the snap traps.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1