Helpful ReplyAsking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model

Author
a13xhp
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
2018/08/18 15:34:02 (permalink)

Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model

Hey people!
I was wondering if the current "Rolling Release" model of Cakewalk is really the best way to improve the program. I usually agree with "Rolling Release" models because, in a more traditional business model, you have to wait for the release of a new major version to see some serious changes. However, Cakewalk comes with changes every month in form of "Monthly Updates" to keep us perpetually expectant but, in my opinion, this changes are a little meaningless lately.
In summary, I think It would be better to implement a "Rolling Release" model in which the updates really count and respond to the community petitions. Maybe this could be accomplished with an "insiders" program to test the changes and a "pre-release" discussion thread in the new upcoming Cakewalk Forum. Do not get me wrong please, I really want Cakewalk constantly evolving, but in a more democratic, logic and "to the point" way that avoid obligatory Montly additions. 
What are your thoughts on this?
P.D.: Sorry for my English. I promise that I have tried .
fitzj
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1487
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/18 16:02:32 (permalink)
I would suspect they are working on a  new version as we talk.  
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/18 16:30:24 (permalink)
I tend to stay with a version for about 2 or 3 months, so I'm likely to encounter any bugs and odd behavior that may affect my setup. Of course if a monthly update has a feature that intrigues me, I may install it earlier.

The monthly updates do offer those who love to try out the new version each month that opportunity and lets others wait until they're ready to update. 

Also recently I found that we can have several versions of CbB on our computer. each version only takes up about 156 megs. This is really good for testing and also enables us to use a tried and proven version on serious no nonsense sessions where we want things to go smoothly (I have a post outlining this).

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
a13xhp
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/18 17:05:03 (permalink)
gmp
I tend to stay with a version for about 2 or 3 months, so I'm likely to encounter any bugs and odd behavior that may affect my setup. Of course if a monthly update has a feature that intrigues me, I may install it earlier.

The monthly updates do offer those who love to try out the new version each month that opportunity and lets others wait until they're ready to update. 

Also recently I found that we can have several versions of CbB on our computer. each version only takes up about 156 megs. This is really good for testing and also enables us to use a tried and proven version on serious no nonsense sessions where we want things to go smoothly (I have a post outlining this).

This is exactly why I am asking for an "Insiders" program and a "Pre-release" discussion thread. This way, the users who want the latest features will be able to obtain them and discuss the changes while the rest of community will have an "stable" version avaliable (It's like the Libre Office "stable" and "new" channels). Today, there isn't and official way to roll back the changes caused by a Monthly update and you have to look for a workaround like the one you have described. 
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/18 17:11:52 (permalink)
a13xhp
Hey people!
I was wondering if the current "Rolling Release" model of Cakewalk is really the best way to improve the program. I usually agree with "Rolling Release" models because, in a more traditional business model, you have to wait for the release of a new major version to see some serious changes. However, Cakewalk comes with changes every month in form of "Monthly Updates" to keep us perpetually expectant but, in my opinion, this changes are a little meaningless lately.
In summary, I think It would be better to implement a "Rolling Release" model in which the updates really count and respond to the community petitions. Maybe this could be accomplished with an "insiders" program to test the changes and a "pre-release" discussion thread in the new upcoming Cakewalk Forum. Do not get me wrong please, I really want Cakewalk constantly evolving, but in a more democratic, logic and "to the point" way that avoid obligatory Montly additions. 

There's nothing obligatory about the updates. You do not have to install them

When you're talking about a free product, I fail to see how democracy enters into the picture. We are NOT paying customers.

BTW, your English is fine.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/18 17:26:54 (permalink)
a13xhp
Today, there isn't and official way to roll back the changes caused by a Monthly update... 

It may not be official, but it's easy enough. After you download the program, don't use BL Assistant to install Cakewalk after the file has been downloaded. You'll find the .exe in your downloads folder. You can save it off to a folder of different versions or whatever. When you want to install the program, just double-click on it.

To me, the updates are far from meaningless because they've been mostly about getting rid of bugs and increasing stability, as well as accommodating changes in Windows (which is a moving target anyway). That may not be particularly sexy, but it sure makes a difference in my day-to-day work. It's also something that a lot of the community asked for in the past - "don't give us flashy new features, just make it stable."

That said, I think there will be new features in the future. But I think the current emphasis is good. I download the update as soon as it's available, but have a backup if I need it. I'm just glad the program still exists

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/18 17:29:16 (permalink)
with agile development methodology you're always in a beta phase so forget the "major minor version" thing of yesteryear and get with the program!

just a sec

msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/18 18:12:22 (permalink)
Anderton
a13xhp
Today, there isn't and official way to roll back the changes caused by a Monthly update... 

It may not be official, but it's easy enough. After you download the program, don't use BL Assistant to install Cakewalk after the file has been downloaded. You'll find the .exe in your downloads folder. You can save it off to a folder of different versions or whatever. When you want to install the program, just double-click on it.

To me, the updates are far from meaningless because they've been mostly about getting rid of bugs and increasing stability, as well as accommodating changes in Windows (which is a moving target anyway). That may not be particularly sexy, but it sure makes a difference in my day-to-day work. It's also something that a lot of the community asked for in the past - "don't give us flashy new features, just make it stable."

That said, I think there will be new features in the future. But I think the current emphasis is good. I download the update as soon as it's available, but have a backup if I need it. I'm just glad the program still exists

I guess the OP's concern is that focusing on regular monthly updates (which give us mainly small features and bug fixes) is preventing the bakers working on bigger features.

Whilst working on minor features/bug fixes could slow down the development of bigger features (there's only a small team of devs), it doesn't stop it.  Modern source control software is pretty good at allowing you to work on parallel features at once.

IMHO the regular updates are vital to show that CbB is indeed alive and well, as well as all the reasons Craig has given.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/18 18:38:59 (permalink)
I'm quite happy with regular and even small updates, cause it shows, they are working on it. Since it's free, there's nothing to bother at all. 

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/20 14:35:41 (permalink)
Some of it's just semantics, largely thanks to Microsoft-led doublespeak. "Insider" used to be "beta tester".

(Today, "Fix releases" have become "service packs". Somewhere on the Microsoft campus there is a group dedicated to terminology enforcement, making sure no words slip out that might have a negative connotation. "Bugs"? No, you mean "issues".)

Rolling updates allow bug fixes to be addressed sooner. So-called "agile programming" was a response to the limitations of the old marketing-driven major/minor scheduled release model, which forced users to live with known bugs for months or even years. 

Those bugs were often actually fixed even before the official release, but those fixes couldn't be included because the revision had already been frozen in preparation for being sent to manufacturing. But in the era of electronically-distributed software, there is no longer any need to freeze code weeks in advance while disks are being duplicated, packaged and shipped. When a bug is discovered and fixed, we can and should make the fix available as soon as it's been tested and verified.

Yes, we've all been conditioned to be wary of "new and improved". With software, that implies "old bugs you knew about have been replaced by new ones you don't know about yet". Software development is by nature a moving target.

However, believe it or not, code does become more stable over time as the underlying foundational nuts 'n bolts code becomes thoroughly debugged and optimized. It's actually been quite a long time since we've had a showstopper bug in SONAR or Cakewalk. No, "AudioSnap 'follow project tempo' and 'Enable Stretch by percentage' are not mutually exclusive" - not a showstopper.

To address the OP, if you want a heads-up on new changes, ask to sign up for the beta program. You can install the newest test build separately from the last official release. But don't do that if your main concern is stability. Instead, hold off on installing each new release for a week or two. Read the change logs and decide if any of the fixes or new features are crucial to you. If not, wait another cycle.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/20 14:44:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2018/08/20 16:54:51
BTW, it is not necessary to apologize if English is not your first language. Many native speakers here do not have that excuse.

ya but the concept behind the studi inst stings with the 3 vilos and bass, is great the sound are not bad better able to mix the strings via pian view andwith the visual abillity of 3 string inst in front of me

(A native English speaker from Massachusetts)

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/20 17:02:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby a13xhp 2018/08/20 17:48:34
Bristol_Jonesey
a13xhp
Hey people!

There's nothing obligatory about the updates. You do not have to install them

When you're talking about a free product, I fail to see how democracy enters into the picture. We are NOT paying customers.

BTW, your English is fine.

I had the same opinion when I first read this thread.
then it dawned on me, what if I am using a version I like but decide I want to try the latest update.
If I update, there's no way to get back to my previous version unless I make a system back up (which can be gigs and gigs)
There's no previous installers downloaded, they disappear (unless you know the trick to back them up before install). Bandlab isn't offering previous versions.

So while I share your sentiments about not punching a gift horse in the mouth ("its free").
Bandlab should offer a way to roll back like Command center did.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/20 17:52:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2018/08/21 11:55:16
Yeah I hope that's something in the pipeline. It's all too easy to forget to make a coy of the download before you hit the install button.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/20 19:18:04 (permalink)
I find it concerning that the mindset is to throw unnecessary computer maintenance back onto the user. I own no other programs (DAW or otherwise) that my first reaction to an update is, "Oh crap, better back this up." I am very confused as to why this is okay as the status quo for CbB. That "Gibson paradigm" should have been kicked to the curb as soon as Gibson abandoned SONAR. Monthly updates fueled a failed membership plan - learn from it and move on to better.

It is a very hard sell (and future) to force folks to understand IT (backtrack installs, hack registries, etc.) well beyond any other program in order to use it (properly).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Audioicon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 349
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/20 20:02:31 (permalink)
mettelus
I find it concerning that the mindset is to throw unnecessary computer maintenance back onto the user. I own no other programs (DAW or otherwise) that my first reaction to an update is, "Oh crap, better back this up." I am very confused as to why this is okay as the status quo for CbB. That "Gibson paradigm" should have been kicked to the curb as soon as Gibson abandoned SONAR. Monthly updates fueled a failed membership plan - learn from it and move on to better.

It is a very hard sell (and future) to force folks to understand IT (backtrack installs, hack registries, etc.) well beyond any other program in order to use it (properly).

Unfortunately, when something is Free, you cannot complain about it.

Checkout my new song: Playing on YouTube: EUPHORIA.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/21 05:42:25 (permalink)
It is ironic when people will lump sum a situation into one bucket, then dismiss it. "Free" implies that BandLab is carrying it (potentially only until 2019), meaning more funding or traction via "not-free" is established. Bottom line is the "future" via reputation and proof-of-use (both of which are suffering political damage at this time) is the real stake here. Dismissing acknowledged issues because something is "free," puts projects created going forward (the future) in serious jeopardy. Seeing people tailspin on work flows, and comments in other various threads (the deployed memory leak shocked me a bit), makes it difficult to even give away something that's free (personally, I am 0-3 on this). When a new user (again, the future) has a cool idea but is faced with the hurdles and glitches these forums identify in order to track/mix it, things go down hill fast.

"Free" is not a value proposition, core competency, or anything of the sort. As a loss leader, it can be, but requires attracting customers.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
eve_ripper
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/21 08:00:59 (permalink)
I really like to see something new. I really like to see it fast enough, because new features must make music creating process faster, more intuitive and inspiring.
BTW, Cockos (Reaper) are making updates too often. And it’s great to see bug fixes.
chuckebaby
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/21 12:02:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby a13xhp 2018/08/21 12:34:45
Audioicon
mettelus

There is a fine line between complaining and constructive criticism.
I'd like to believe we all want a better product and we all want to see Cakewalk succeed and prosper.
So while I agree with you about not complaining because its free, it is nice to hear the voice of users giving their opinions on a way to better the product.

Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB

tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/21 14:10:08 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey

Audioicon

This sentiment, however true,  is the reason many pro users have jump ship to other DAW,s as their first choice despite the resurrection of Cakewalk.

chuckebaby
So while I share your sentiments about not punching a gift horse in the mouth ("its free")…...
…... it is nice to hear the voice of users giving their opinions on a way to better the product.

Definitely uncool to punch any horse in the mouth Chuck! I think the phrase is 'look a gift horse in the mouth', but your version certainly has more impact mate. I totally agree that informed user opinions lead to a better product.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Audioicon
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/21 16:00:46 (permalink)
chuckebaby

I'd like to believe we all want a better product and we all want to see Cakewalk succeed and prosper.
So while I agree with you about not complaining because its free, it is nice to hear the voice of users giving their opinions on a way to better the product.

It appears, well for now that Bandlab is not getting any monetary returns on this software and for this reason I like to believe things are strongly priority based when it comes to what features are released.

Personally, I tend to stay away from so called free things because there is a certain lack of accountability and in most cases you are at the mercy of the person giving you stuff.

Yes, you can complain or make simple request but the key is, you are and will always be at the mercy of Bandlab. 

Which is why the whole free thing stinks!

post edited by Audioicon - 2018/08/21 17:10:13

gmp
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/21 16:41:37 (permalink)
The last few years of Splat almost all of us paid about $150-200 for free lifetime updates. So after that it was free.  I think the idea was Cakewalk was going to make their money from the Cakewalk store with FX, soft synths, books, videos, etc. I assume Bandlab will do the same.

Free is fine, I see no evidence that CbB is behaving any differently as during the Splat days. With Noel and others on board, we're in great hands. I like the idea of Bandlab owning Cakewalk far more than Gibson or Roland. 

During the paid days of Splat there were plenty of bugs that weren't fixed. It has nothing to do with free, it's all about using resources wisely to fix the important bugs first and the smaller ones after that. 

Considering everything that's going on I give Bandlab an A for this point in time. I have no doubt they'll keep trying to improve CbB.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
chuckebaby
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/21 23:33:28 (permalink)
Audioicon
chuckebaby

It appears, well for now that Bandlab is not getting any monetary returns on this software and for this reason I like to believe things are strongly priority based when it comes to what features are released.

Personally, I tend to stay away from so called free things because there is a certain lack of accountability and in most cases you are at the mercy of the person giving you stuff.

Yes, you can complain or make simple request but the key is, you are and will always be at the mercy of Bandlab. 

Which is why the whole free thing stinks!

I can agree with most of that.
I do however think (personally anyway) something is going to change in the future.
weather it be a highly upgraded model of Sonar or something totally different like a newly built DAW from scratch, who knows.

I just don't see this free DAW thing going on forever. Im happy while it lasts though.
And even though its free, I think its still one of the best tools out there for what im using it for.

Audioicon
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/22 15:49:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2018/08/22 18:46:49
chuckebaby
I just don't see this free DAW thing going on forever. Im happy while it lasts though.
And even though its free, I think its still one of the best tools out there for what im using it for.

I am sure most people using CBB will agree with the above statement.
It is too good to be true, which makes me nervous because I hate surprises, and while I appreciate what Meng and crew are doing, the idea that we do not know what lies ahead creates an uncomfortable feeling.

Conceptually, I have moved on from Sonar but about 200 projects are Sonar based and I have no desire to do these projects in another DAW.

Maybe Sonar will be free forever, who knows. 

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/23 03:31:21 (permalink)
Unfortunately the reality is that intellectual property has been devalued. Apple of course contributed greatly to this (just ask MOTU), but to be fair, so did the previous Cakewalk management to some degree.

So, we have free Windows 10, free Mac OS, free FL Studio, free Grammarly, free Audacity, free LibreOffice, free GIMP, free GarageBand, nearly free Reaper, free apps, etc. Those companies that need to make money do so by selling add-ons. That model that is not likely to go away, so I hope we start seeing Cakewalk sell add-ons soon.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
gmp
Re: Asking for a revision of the "Rolling Release" model 2018/08/23 03:33:37 (permalink)
Audioicon
chuckebaby

I am sure most people using CBB will agree with the above statement.
It is too good to be true, which makes me nervous because I hate surprises, and while I appreciate what Meng and crew are doing, the idea that we do not know what lies ahead creates an uncomfortable feeling.

Conceptually, I have moved on from Sonar but about 200 projects are Sonar based and I have no desire to do these projects in another DAW.

Maybe Sonar will be free forever, who knows. 

I'd expect them to make new users pay eventually, but I imagine this won't happen until they have enough stuff to bundle it with - FX and softsynths. Right now users who don't have Splat installed have a stripped down version.

I wouldn't be surprised if they let the long time users stay free, since that's what was done for the last year or so of Splat after we paid for lifetime updates. And they'll open another Cakewalk store to sell plugins and make money from us that way.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1