Helpful ReplyFeature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018]

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 21 of 26
Author
RexRed
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/08/19 13:15:08 (permalink)
The ability to undo when you accidentally select audio transients on a track. :)
Mad_Musicologist
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/08/19 17:13:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jimfogle 2018/08/25 17:32:42
1) Nice would be an overhaul of the good old TTS-1. There are some nice sounds in it, but when it comes to twaek them, and use automation, that seems impossible. I tried out to edit some selected instruments presets, change for example filter, reso: Can't create an automation lane for them in the 4 audio outs, and what I change manually will be discraded when I start playback.
Please. And: There are quite some audio banks which have a lot of empty spaces. There could be modifications of instrument presets that are in the first bank.
2) Another fine thing would be then the import of .scl files for microtuning.
3) Another feature I really miss is on the note editors side.  XML import and export. More graphical possibilities concerning writing notes instead of editing in the piano roll.
4) Quantising, grid: Would be nice to have more options than straight quaver, semiquaver... and so on, and the triplet variety. Quintuplets, and septuplets would be great (the latter will of course be approx, but with 240 ticks for one quaver that's ok).

JoeBaermann
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/08/20 21:34:42 (permalink)
Zoom's R24 ASIO driver didn't want to work with the Sonar version from Bandlab on a fresh Windows 10 installation, the Bandlab installation broke ASIO completely for all applications, installing and uninstalling ASIO4ALL fixed that though...
Using the Zoom R24 as controller interface made SONAR crash when hardware sliders/buttons are used, even uninstalling and installing the original Sonar did not help.

Reinstalled Windows 10 and using SONAR Professional 23.10.0.14 now, no issues with the R24 what so ever.
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/08/22 12:24:43 (permalink)
JoeBaermann
Zoom's R24 ASIO driver didn't want to work with the Sonar version from Bandlab on a fresh Windows 10 installation, the Bandlab installation broke ASIO completely for all applications, installing and uninstalling ASIO4ALL fixed that though...
Using the Zoom R24 as controller interface made SONAR crash when hardware sliders/buttons are used, even uninstalling and installing the original Sonar did not help.

Reinstalled Windows 10 and using SONAR Professional 23.10.0.14 now, no issues with the R24 what so ever.

Hi. Just wanted to let you know that ASIO4ALL is NOT an ASIO driver.
It is a WDM wrapper (if I'm not mistaken) to let you use devices without ASIO driver at low latency.
Some people have had success using it though, but I haven't had the need as my devices have its own drivers.
If your Zoom has its own drivers, I'd uninstall and leave ASIO4ALL uninstalled.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/08/22 13:21:55 (permalink)
sonar/cbb historically seems to have more issues than most with the asio4all driver, must be something to do with how it uses drivers, maybe something to do with the deep windows integration of sonar/cbb?

but like zargg said, always use the manufacturer's own asio drivers, if available, to utilise the full functionality of your device... if you have to use asio4all, make sure you have the latest version from http://www.asio4all.org/

good luck!

just a sec

Enzstudios
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/08/23 04:38:25 (permalink)
Hi All,
      I must say it's great to see a lot of work go into CBL, I use Cake for both in the studio and with the band for live performance. Yes, I know a lot of people tell me that I should be using another program but I have used Cakewalk for many many years and set it up so that it just works, and it's far easier to go from one PC to another on the same program.
        Some of the problems since changing from SonarX3 or SPLAT for live performance to CBL has been when you set up a playlist of say 20 songs, once you get to the 5th song you start noticing that the previous songs are still loaded and not closing down, which take valuable CPU and RAM resources, and have caused some issues.
          I do remember with SonarX3 you could either install a lite version for Live performance or install the full DAW for Studio use. This would be a great feature to have back.
          I do all of the processors for the extra backing, whether it be MIDI to VST Synths or prerecorded instruments on the Studio PC and convert everything to wave file into separate tracks, the lighting is done via MIDI note for these tracks as well if needed and because the tracks are then outputted to separate tracks to the mixer there is really no extra processing required by Cakewalk except to output the MIDI notes to the lighting rig, which is done via Ethernet. In other words, as people have said "Just a Player with extra outputs".

Problems I have encountered are-
    1: Songs not closing down after being played
    2: Even when going thru the normal process of hiding and taking away the "Inspector" and "Browser" Tabs they still show up else were on the screen in the playlist view. These can take up Valuable room on a 12' Monitor.
    3: Since the last update I am constantly getting a "Groove play"  or "Google Groove player" error message Not sure what this is.
    4:  When I updated to CBL I am unable to do a lot of MIDI mapping or I have to use external programs to do it for me.

In conclusion, CBL is a fantastic DAW which when used properly and within the constraints of the program works none stop. I have like many other people, spent a lot of money, time and effort into an accomplished art form and don't wish to convert over, to a practice of having to change too much. The old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix, does apply but if you can improve it also applies.

Keep up the great work.
Thanks, Meng :)
Eventhorizon73
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/08/23 15:51:04 (permalink)
I would love better control surface support, I just ordered an icon qcon pro x with extender and I already know it's gonna be a nightmare to integrate it into tdfkas. And the master fader not working on the controller, what's up with that? There has to be a way to fix that. If I can't make it play well I might have to move away from tdfkas. :-(

I would also like it if we could make the faders longer for more precision. Other than that I love Cakewalk, it always does what I need
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/08/23 16:12:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2018/08/23 16:59:26
Eventhorizon73
I would love better control surface support, I just ordered an icon qcon pro x with extender and I already know it's gonna be a nightmare to integrate it into tdfkas. And the master fader not working on the controller, what's up with that? There has to be a way to fix that. If I can't make it play well I might have to move away from tdfkas. :-(

I would also like it if we could make the faders longer for more precision. Other than that I love Cakewalk, it always does what I need

The Icon qcon prox should work fine in Mackie Mode.

There's three things you have to do:
1. Add Mackie Control, and Mackie Control XT within Preferences->Control Surfaces.

2. To get the extender & main controller working with 16 tracks, go to Utilities->Mackie Control, and on the dialog box:
  • Click the configure layout button
  • turn the v-pot on track 1 of the icon qcon one click clockwise
  • then click the layout button again.
This configures the extender to control tracks 1-8, and the main qcon pro to control tracks 9-16. If you want it the other way around, use the v-pot on the extender.

3. To control the master bus, you need to set the Master fader to "Bus", and then select the number of the master bus (usually 1).

While you're on that dialog, I'd enable "Select Highlights Track" as well.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
martins guit
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 241
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/08/25 11:38:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jeremy@cominginsecond.com 2018/08/27 20:01:13
buss template

apologize for my english

martin

CAKEWALK BY BANDLAB
windows 10 x64bit,i7-6700,12G-ram-DDR-4
roland-quad capture,tascam us122l,
NTK Rode mic,Apex 160 mic,JBL & JVC speakers
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/08/25 17:58:09 (permalink)
martins guit
buss template

Well you can set up the busses the way you like in a blank project and save that as a project template.  So when you then start a new project with that templete, all of your busses are there from the start.  Then insert your track templates, and off you go.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
ch.huey
  • Total Posts : 33
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/08/27 13:44:08 (permalink)
Staff view. Please, staff view. I don't expect Sibelius level quality, but as much as I can appreciate PRV, it's not always the easiest if I'm trying to go fast on stuff I can't physically play in. Being able to enter the notes in staff, then go into PRV and humanize them is really important.

Even more important is being able to VIEW what I've programmed in accurately. Last time I checked, tuplets still don't go up past a triplet, no quintuplet, sextuplet, and certainly no way to specify, for instance, in 5/4 meter, that the last 3 beats are to be played as a tuplet of 4:3 (4 quarter notes in the space of a 3 quarter notes). Having to resort to 2/4 and 12/16 alternating to get this effect without bedlam in the staff view is annoying, as is manually programming it in through PRV. No real way to check if you screwed it up either if it won't display properly short of exporting it and loading the midi into something that will display it musically, even if not 4:3 but simply 4 over the notes would be a life saver. 

PLEASE put this high up on the list. I know not that many people use it but for those who do, it is a practical frustration when sketching something out as a demo, which is when staff view is very useful. Cakewalk has amazing MIDI abilities under the hood but they tend to remain under the hood in staff view, and even entering the notes is a pain sometimes, though I've seen improvement on that in new updates (!!!!).  

If I enter a quintuplet, or anything other than a triplet, it won't display in staff view, and I end up going into PRV, doing arithmetic about the number of ticks and aligning them, then switch to staff and it's gibberish. I end up using other programs to enter this kind of MIDI data at this point, which have their own frustrating limitations (I love that in Sonar I can have spaces autofilled and that CbB moved the note values seen in PRV to the staff view - this only makes me want some of the advanced features more!)

Making it easier so what you see in PRV looks like music in staff view is what I desperately want... Doing a simple quintuplet (just a /5\ instead of the normal /3\ for a whole note doesn't look good in staff, and is a little better but still inducing a migraine in PRV by trying to see the edges.

When it could look as nice and neat as this triplet:

The above triplet is nice, neat, and easily recognizable. I don't see why that can't be done with a 5, 7, or more complicated rhythms since it can be programmed in. I love that the notes have been put right next to view/tracks, so I'm very optimistic but still not having the ability for the program to recognize that a series of 5 notes consisting of 768 ticks in a bar with 3840 ticks is shown in a weird way, not the same as while a triplet, a series of notes consisting of 3 1280 ticks in a 3840 tick bar, is recognized so easily is frustrating since there are 4 over 3 substitutions, 2 over 5, etc, that can be played back perfectly but not displayed right. 

I'm not expecting this level of implemention: https://imgv2-2-f.scribda...25bb82/1534795873?v=1, but getting simple tuplets down of 5, 7 and 9 and other small changes so that what I enter in PRV that are exact lengths reflected back as something I recognize in staff view would make a big difference. Cakewalk's MIDI engine is powerful, which is why it's so crippling to have to run to another program to visually enter anything past a triplet quickly and see it displayed as intended. 

Cakewalk is not software for creating scores. I don't expect it to be, and I don't expect dynamics and techniques that live in the MIDI to be expressed via the staff view fully, but basic problems like not displaying what I showed above are less about music printing and more about the inability to view the same data in the program while working and see it displayed in a musical way, which interrupts workflow. If I had a request, it would be for these kind of improvements since I still use staff view quite often, especially while programming drums on demos or scratch tracks.

Other notation programs insist you fill in the rests before you move on which is time consuming, and I'd do much more work in Cakewalk that will eventually end up in Cakewalk because while I have more freedom to move notes without worrying about filling in the rests, I can't be sure what I entered is correct due to the staff view issues. 

And thank you again Meng for the outreach, I truly appreciate the invitation for requests and could not be happier with what has happened since Bandlab released Cakewalk by Bandlab!
LittleStudios
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/08/30 01:27:40 (permalink)
From the Console View, it would be super convenient when it comes to deleting a send from a track if the option to delete the send wasn't at the very bottom of the list of available sends.  My list of available sends can be quite long and it can really feel like a chore to scroll to the bottom of the list just to click "Delete Send".  Maybe next to the Enable/Disable button on the send, add a "Delete" button (big red X). 

Chris
LittleStudios
Klaus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 320
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/08/30 10:53:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jackson white 2018/09/01 14:02:50
LittleStudios
From the Console View, it would be super convenient when it comes to deleting a send from a track if the option to delete the send wasn't at the very bottom of the list of available sends.  My list of available sends can be quite long and it can really feel like a chore to scroll to the bottom of the list just to click "Delete Send".  Maybe next to the Enable/Disable button on the send, add a "Delete" button (big red X). 

As a workaround you can do it a bit faster:

1. Open "Sends Menu"

2. Hover your mouse over the first entry at the top ("--- None ---") so it's highlighted

3. Press the "Up Arrow" on your keyboard (this highligths the last entry "Delete Send" even if it's not visible)

4. Press "Enter" to delete the Send

Best,
Klaus

SONAR Platinum 
RME HDSPe AIO - Windows 10 64bit - Intel i7 2600K - 16 GB RAM

LittleStudios
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/08/30 16:05:54 (permalink)
Klaus
As a workaround you can do it a bit faster:

1. Open "Sends Menu"

2. Hover your mouse over the first entry at the top ("--- None ---") so it's highlighted

3. Press the "Up Arrow" on your keyboard (this highligths the last entry "Delete Send" even if it's not visible)

4. Press "Enter" to delete the Send

Best,
Klaus

Thanks, that's a great work around! I knew someone would know a quicker way. I still think this action could be made more efficient with fewer keystrokes or clicks.

Chris
LittleStudios
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/02 23:33:01 (permalink)
MIDI Sends, please.

I'd like to be able to drive two VST (or hardware instruments) from a single MIDI track, preferably while playing my controller (i.e. input echo)
jbagge
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/03 15:06:20 (permalink)

I like to save my projects as bundles, adding a way to set that as the default save option would be nice.

richsorensen
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/03 16:28:31 (permalink)
Cakewalk would rule the world if it had a feature similar to this competitor

It is a way to control the interface from any remote device on the network.
Thank you for your time
Rich
EddieLotter
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 98
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/03 22:19:12 (permalink)
stickman393
MIDI Sends, please.
I'd like to be able to drive two VST (or hardware instruments) from a single MIDI track, preferably while playing my controller (i.e. input echo)

Would you be interested in an interim solution?
I could write a plug-in that would allow you to do this now.

Cheers
Eddie
stickman393
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/03 22:23:47 (permalink)
EddieLotter
stickman393

Would you be interested in an interim solution?
I could write a plug-in that would allow you to do this now.

Really? Cool!

It isn't an urgent request or anything, I just wanted to add my vote to what is surely an existing feature request. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person interested in such a plugin. I didn't think of looking for existing plug-ins, as I assumed it wouldn't be possible without some plumbing changes on the DAW side, kind of like AUX tracks.

seanmichaelrobinson
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/06 16:20:59 (permalink)
Okay, I don't know how much use V-Vocal gets with other people...but there's at least one fairly big functionality problem that seems like it could be easily solved. V-Vocal oftentimes fails to detect notes for data that is recorded at a low volume, that is, recorded at a level that you might record in a 24-bit session on a vocalist without any compression coming in. And yet I can "fool" V-Vocal into detecting notes for the same passage by "goosing" up the volume of the previously-undetectable passage by a few Db using a gain change and rendering it down. So it seems like it's an issue of some kind of detection threshold being applied under the hood of V-Vocal.

In fact, the problem is so bad that sometimes it'll stop recognizing a note at the end of a phrase. I.e. the singer is getting softer, and the note release/last pitched part of the note/tail of the note is undetectable, even though the previous section registers as a pitch. Very frustrating, and presumably would be an easy fix? Especially given that the rest of the V-Vocal functionality essentially works as advertised (besides some bizarre note detection misfires on some instruments).

Thanks!
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/06 18:24:01 (permalink)
seanmichaelrobinson
 presumably would be an easy fix?

For Roland maybe. The V-Vocal plug-in was made and maintained in Japan by Roland and bundled with SONAR 5 through X2. AFAIK Cakewalk never had the source code, it would have to be purchased from Roland. Moreover, Cakewalk invested in implementing ARA in order to provide a similar feature set using Melodyne.
seanmichaelrobinson
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/06 19:06:13 (permalink)
Thank you skook. I have both Sonar Producer and CCBL installed so I have access to all the tools from both and I didn't realize V-Vocal isn't included! I appreciate the insight.
stickman393
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/06 19:49:28 (permalink)
V-Vocal rocks and will never, ever, have any more bugs put in it. At least we have a work-around for the low volume thing (not ideal, but mostly works)
richardskeltmusic
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/07 07:15:05 (permalink)
It would be good to know how much %CPU each plug in is using - that would tell us which tracks to freeze when we want to preserve cpu overhead.  Studio One has a window with this feature and its really useful for reducing the risk of dropouts.
petemus
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/07 07:22:56 (permalink)
richardskeltmusic
It would be good to know how much %CPU each plug in is using - that would tell us which tracks to freeze when we want to preserve cpu overhead.  Studio One has a window with this feature and its really useful for reducing the risk of dropouts.

It would also be nice to be able to see how much latency each current active plugin introduces in the project.
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/07 07:34:14 (permalink)

petemus
richardskeltmusic

It would also be nice to be able to see how much latency each current active plugin introduces in the project.

Studio One also does that

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

bz2838
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 366
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/07 14:56:12 (permalink)
Chord track!

Purrrfect Audio:  Intel i7 7700k (Kabylake), 32Gig DDR4/2133, Windows 10x64 Pro, USB RME Babyface, Sonar Platinum Current
aidanodr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/15 00:45:46 (permalink)
Why doesnt the MATRIX VIEW get more love from Sonar Users and devs ? :D

I wonder if it was developed more could it become very much like the Sonar version of SESSION VIEW in Ableton Live?

The MATRIX VIEW might be very useful for those in the bandlab ecosystem using samples etc to build tracks. I think it is a very hidden Sonar feature that needs a bit more upfront exposure TBH .. via tutes etc

post edited by aidanodr - 2018/09/15 01:21:23
abacab
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/16 00:32:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby aidanodr 2018/09/16 22:45:58
aidanodr
Why doesnt the MATRIX VIEW get more love from Sonar Users and devs ? :D

I wonder if it was developed more could it become very much like the Sonar version of SESSION VIEW in Ableton Live?

The MATRIX VIEW might be very useful for those in the bandlab ecosystem using samples etc to build tracks. I think it is a very hidden Sonar feature that needs a bit more upfront exposure TBH .. via tutes etc

Cakewalk first released that feature as the "Groove Matrix" part of the Project5 v2 synth workstation in 2005, but P5 was eventually discontinued, and parts of it were later incorporated into the Sonar feature set.

Unfortunately, the Matrix view was slapped on to Sonar, and never fully integrated into Sonar with the workflow that P5 once had.  In my opinion, that was a lost opportunity. 

It seems there was a lot of competition at that time for groove and loop workstations, with the likes of Live, Reason, and Acid.  So I understand the Cakewalk product managers wanting to focus on the Sonar product exclusively.

But it is ironic when you look at the success in that area that Ableton Live has had, and also the spinoff of Bitwig Studio. 

Bitwig actually has a layout very similar the Groove Matrix in Project5, with the Bitwig Clip Launcher in line with their track arranger view.  https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/bitwig-studio This setup actually has an advantage over Ableton in that you do not have to switch between two different views, exclusively either arrangement or session.  You can work on one screen with a session style matrix, or scenes view, alongside the track arrangement.  Workflow enhancement!

Even Mixcraft has adopted this style of workflow in their "Performance Panel".  https://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/

So yes, I would vote +10,000 for any enhancement to the Matrix View, especially considering Cakewalk seems to have had the first use of this approach, so since BandLab is the current owner of the legacy Cakewalk intellectual property they should exploit this feature to its fullest potential! 

abacab
Re: Feature Requests + Improvements [New 29/3/2018] 2018/09/16 00:46:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby aidanodr 2018/09/16 22:46:04
Cakewalk Project 5 v2 review at Sound on Sound:  https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cakewalk-project-5-v2

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 21 of 26
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1