Exporting Issues (New to Sonar)

Author
ejpoulin
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2018/08/20 16:45:21 (permalink)

Exporting Issues (New to Sonar)

Hey all,

So I've just started experimenting with Sonar and home recording in general. So my knowledge base is extremely limited. Here's the situation.

I've completed my project and ready to export it (ideally to end up as an mp3 that I can listen to in iTunes, for example). When I go to File > Export > Audio, I leave all the presets selected in the dialog box, select mp3 from the Files of Type dropdown, add a name to the file ending with .mp3, and click Export, it gives me the following message: "The MP3 encoder must be unlocked before use. Please visit to upgrade a previous encoder, or to purchase a new encoder."
I'm not sure where to go on the site to find the mp3 encoder, or if there's a better (simple, cheap) way to do this.

I've also read on forums that in order to avoid unwanted compression and loss of quality on the project, I may want to export as a Wave file and then convert to mp3 afterward (is iTunes able to do this part of it? I do have Audacity, which a friend said could convert it to mp3 afterward...anyone able to explain how to do that would be appreciated too...). But when I try to export as a Wave file, I get the following message: "An internal error occurred while processing the mixdown. The operation was unsuccessful. Catastrophic failure."

Now when I visit the support page on Cakewalk's website and attempt to email a support person, that part of the site is apparently "under construction," and I don't actually see any way to contact anyone.

So I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out with this issue. Bear in mind, this is my first time using anything like this, so I might need steps spelled out pretty explicitly.

Thanks so much.

Eric.

3 Replies Related Threads

Jon Sasor [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 284
    Re: Exporting Issues (New to Sonar) 2018/08/20 17:34:07 (permalink)
    ejpoulin
    Hey all,

So I've just started experimenting with Sonar and home recording in general. So my knowledge base is extremely limited. Here's the situation.

I've completed my project and ready to export it (ideally to end up as an mp3 that I can listen to in iTunes, for example). When I go to File > Export > Audio, I leave all the presets selected in the dialog box, select mp3 from the Files of Type dropdown, add a name to the file ending with .mp3, and click Export, it gives me the following message: "The MP3 encoder must be unlocked before use. Please visit to upgrade a previous encoder, or to purchase a new encoder."
    I'm not sure where to go on the site to find the mp3 encoder, or if there's a better (simple, cheap) way to do this.

I've also read on forums that in order to avoid unwanted compression and loss of quality on the project, I may want to export as a Wave file and then convert to mp3 afterward (is iTunes able to do this part of it? I do have Audacity, which a friend said could convert it to mp3 afterward...anyone able to explain how to do that would be appreciated too...). But when I try to export as a Wave file, I get the following message: "An internal error occurred while processing the mixdown. The operation was unsuccessful. Catastrophic failure."

Now when I visit the support page on Cakewalk's website and attempt to email a support person, that part of the site is apparently "under construction," and I don't actually see any way to contact anyone.

So I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out with this issue. Bear in mind, this is my first time using anything like this, so I might need steps spelled out pretty explicitly.

Thanks so much.

Eric.

It sounds like you're using an older version of Cakewalk/SONAR. Previously, due to a licensing cost, you had to purchase an MP3 encoder/unlock separately. Once the patent for MP3 expired, this restriction was lifted and subsequent updates/versions did not have this message. Now, you can download Cakewalk by BandLab which will open your project and allow you to export as MP3 with the desired bit rate.

Jonathan Sasor
    Quality Assurance Engineer 
    BandLab
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Exporting Issues (New to Sonar) 2018/08/20 17:50:40 (permalink)
    Also Eric, I have found it is usually best if you start by exporting as a 16 bit 44.1KJz .wav file

Verify that this is ok (by importing it back into your project, solo it and make sure it bypasses your master bus)

If it's ok, use that for doing your MP3 conversion

Welcome to the forum. There is not a lot about the programme that someone on here doesn't know

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    GregGraves
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 282
    Re: Exporting Issues (New to Sonar) 2018/08/25 10:15:16 (permalink)
    Here's a little troublesome issue:

Freq spectrum of 320 bit CBR mp3
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rexiZszoV4Fci3O01YDuKZDA8dV0ThOL\

Freq spectrum of "Highest Quality" VBR mp3 - exact same section of exact same song
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YAEOpjcMfXki6tsrO89p29Lm1jx2-5BM

Hmmmmmmmm.......

I am "Five Foot Wall" on Spotify, Deezer, etc.  Platinum, Windows 7 64bit, AMD FX-6100 hex-core @3.8ghz, 8 gig ram (never use more than 5 gigs), Delta 44, UM-2
    [Note: join date reflects inability to migrate old account to new forum]

https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/whatcha-gonna-do
    https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/true-believer-man

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1