Author
rscain
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
2018/09/02 18:48:32 (permalink)

"Trip For Biscuits" - Newest song

Here's my newest;

https://soundcloud.com/rscain/trip-for-biscuits

A "Trip For Biscuits" is a term con men use for wasted effort; a con that doesn't pay off. I find this stuff fascinating. This song is full of terms that are strange and colorful to me, actually it almost wrote itself! The reference at the very end is to Victor Lustig who apparently is the father of the con game as it is today.
Also, in case I failed miserably, I'm a big Boz Scaggs fan...

Hope you like it!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 

11 Replies Related Threads

Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: "Trip For Biscuits" - Newest song 2018/09/03 14:02:06 (permalink)
    That was great!!! Unfortunately you put way too much work into it and embarrassed the rest of us lazy, old codgers, so we've hired a hit-man. (I thought somebody ought to warn you.)

Bill
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: "Trip For Biscuits" - Newest song 2018/09/03 14:51:20 (permalink)
    Worth the time just listening to that excellent clavinet playing / mixing. Which clav did you use, and how did you get it that sheeny! Love it!!!

I like the idea and your theme here, great song choice.

Boz Skaggs all the way!!! Except for that little 8 bar horn break to break it up, that's Steely Dannish I think. 

Your combo of lead and background vocals is really smoooooth.

Love this one.

-Tom

p.s. obviously, very far from a trip for biscuits.

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    rscain
    Re: "Trip For Biscuits" - Newest song 2018/09/03 17:15:02 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    That was great!!! Unfortunately you put way too much work into it and embarrassed the rest of us lazy, old codgers, so we've hired a hit-man. (I thought somebody ought to warn you.)

Bill

LOL, Thanks very much Bill! Both for the kind words and the warning!
    Really, I appreciate it, thanks.

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
    rscain
    Re: "Trip For Biscuits" - Newest song 2018/09/03 17:54:30 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul
    Worth the time just listening to that excellent clavinet playing / mixing. Which clav did you use, and how did you get it that sheeny! Love it!!!

Boz Skaggs all the way!!! Except for that little 8 bar horn break to break it up, that's Steely Dannish I think. 

Love this one.

-Tom

Thank you Tom, I really appreciate that. The whole con man/woman thing is morbidly fascinating to me. The terminology I used in the lyrics is supposedly legitimate according to the research I did, but when you're talking about cons and flim-flam artists, who really knows?

The clavinet is the standard Factory Selection Clavinet in Komplete. There's a low cut below 86 Hz., and a couple of db dip around 500 Hz. with a wide Q. Then through a VC_2A at about 50% peak reduction.

There are four keyboard tracks and three of them (clav, organ, and grand piano) were done with Komplete. The other keyboard track is the WAVES Electric 88.
    The brass is Session Horns Pro from Komplete.
    Drums and percussion are AD2.
    Guitars and bass were recorded direct. Guitar is run through Amplitube 4.
    I usually record my own backing vocals and process them into whatever I need but for this song I couldn't get them as smooth as they needed to be so on this tune the BG vox are samples.
    Again Tom, thanks very much for the listen and the kind words!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

SupaReels Music
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 370
    Re: "Trip For Biscuits" - Newest song 2018/09/03 17:57:39 (permalink)
    SO GOOD ! ( Anyone wanna buy my gear ... time to give up ! )

Home-built 64 bit pc running Win7 Pro, 2nd system Laptop running Win10

DAW' s :-  Sonar Platinum , Cubase Pro 10. , CyberLink Audio Director 7, Power Director 15
    Other Stuff :- Impulse61, VX7, DX7, Behringer X-Touch , Tascam MidiStudio688,Orbit v2, Roland U220, SPL Vitalizer, TC Helicon, Alesis M1s, Rode NT1 & NT2, Shure SM58, Red5 RV6 Mics, Various Guitars Ibanez S770, revamped Les Paul Copy, Yamaha Pacifica 112, SGR C-1, Yamaha Acoustic 12 string, Gibson 6 String Acoustic, Fender Squire Bass, Yamaha 800 Active Fretless  
    rscain
    Re: "Trip For Biscuits" - Newest song 2018/09/03 18:17:36 (permalink)
    SupaReels Music
    SO GOOD ! ( Anyone wanna buy my gear ... time to give up ! )

Thanks very much, glad you liked it! The cool thing about recording these days is that we can take our time and experiment and get things the way we want them. And man, this one took a while. It doesn't sound much like it did after the first idea went down. For every good sound and idea in this tune I tried and discarded a bunch that were.....not so good .

My Tunes On SoundClick  

DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: "Trip For Biscuits" - Newest song 2018/09/04 12:16:13 (permalink)
    Well done indeed.
    Reminds me of the time I got "taken" at the cash register (I was on the phone at the time).
    The one where the customer hands you back his "change" and gets a $20 for his $10.
    Man I ran out in the lot, I was gonna kick his a$$! Hit his car with a big stone! He stopped!
    Then thought better of it, I had another stone in my hand, and beat a hasty retreat.
    Probably a good thing for both of us...
    I was a trifle "volatile" in my 30's.

T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    rscain
    Re: "Trip For Biscuits" - Newest song 2018/09/04 16:59:16 (permalink)
    DeeringAmps
    I was a trifle "volatile" in my 30's.

T

LOL, I can relate! (that is, what I can remember from waaaaay back then)
    Thanks Tom!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: "Trip For Biscuits" - Newest song 2018/09/04 19:08:33 (permalink)
    Great subject, lyrics, and overall excellent composition, arrangement and recording.
    After reading some of the comments above, I feel a wee bit better in knowing that I am not the only one who has gotten conned.
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: "Trip For Biscuits" - Newest song 2018/09/18 19:54:47 (permalink)
    Freakin' awesome... 

I liked every single funky thing about it.     Could be my favoritist tune you've ever posted. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: "Trip For Biscuits" - Newest song 2018/09/18 22:19:36 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul

Love this one.

-Tom

A hint of Steely Dan. A bit of Chicago. A whiff of Bootsy Collins.

And a whole lotta great writing and performing!

I hope you don't think this off-topic, but the song title reminded me of a PC game developed for Wilkinson Sword in France. Fight For Kisses.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1