Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
2018/09/05 17:14:15 (permalink)

New Glennbo/Polymod Song - MetroGnome

This is our latest creation. All my tracks, which are the Bass, Drums,
Guitars, and Piano were recorded in the Linux version of REAPER. Poly's
tracks which are the cool guitars and keys were recorded in the Windows
version of REAPER, and then brought into the Linux version. The final mix
and master were done in the Linux version of REAPER.

The concept for this one was that I had gotten EZ-Drummer working in Linux,
and used it to be my metronome for getting some initial tracks recorded,
plus I kept needing to use the Gnome Alsa mixer, so that became the theme.

The song is titled "MetroGnome" at:

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13777999

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

9 Replies Related Threads

Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: New Glennbo/Polymod Song - MetroGnome 2018/09/07 00:25:16 (permalink)
    Really excellent Glen! The guitar was great, but the drums stole the show. (Could maybe use a little more lower mids in the guitar.)

Not sure I'd call it fusion. More like instrumental rock from my viewpoint. Well, it was very good whatever it was. 

Bill
    MarkusClinus
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 710
    Re: New Glennbo/Polymod Song - MetroGnome 2018/09/07 00:28:37 (permalink)
    Nice tune man - love the guitar work.

Mark
    (formerly CLEAN)
    THE PUGTONES

MarkusClinus
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 710
    Re: New Glennbo/Polymod Song - MetroGnome 2018/09/07 00:28:37 (permalink)

Mark
    (formerly CLEAN)
    THE PUGTONES

the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
    Re: New Glennbo/Polymod Song - MetroGnome 2018/09/08 00:20:25 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    Really excellent Glen! The guitar was great, but the drums stole the show. (Could maybe use a little more lower mids in the guitar.)

Not sure I'd call it fusion. More like instrumental rock from my viewpoint. Well, it was very good whatever it was. 

Bill

Thanks Bill!  It probably should be under instrumental rock. I didn't even check that part when I uploaded it, so it defaulted to what the page thinks is my normal.  This was my first real attempt to do a project in Linux, but I can already tell from the experience that I need Windows much less than I thought. I set my DAW up to dual boot Xubuntu and Windows 7, thinking that when January 2020 arrives, I would do everything but music in Linux, and boot Windows 7 to record music. Then I noticed a REAPER build for Linux and installed it. Initially it worked, but at pretty high latency, but then one of the Linux gurus started picking through my install of Xubuntu and I'm now getting round trip latency around 9.0ms. Plenty quick enough to play through with input monitoring and FX.

Glennbo

Re: New Glennbo/Polymod Song - MetroGnome 2018/09/08 00:23:03 (permalink)
    MarkusClinus

Thanks Mark! All the really cool guitars are my buddy Polymod. I'm playing the guitar that tracks along with the bass, and the rhythm guitar that happens during the quiet part of the song.

Glennbo

Wayfarer
    Re: New Glennbo/Polymod Song - MetroGnome 2018/09/09 04:40:24 (permalink)
    I used Linux years ago in a dual boot system. It's a good, quick OS. It's biggest problem has always been finding programs for it, especially video NLE's and effects packages that are worth a darn. Same with things like office programs. For instance, LibreOffice (same as OpenOffice for the most part) is fine for real simple things but it lacks the sophistication of MS Office. I have a business formatting books (it's like digital typesetting), and Writer can't even produce proper headers and footers. Normally when you format a book you would have the books title in the header of the odd numbered pages and the author's name on the even numbered ones. Sometimes you might even want to have different headers for different sections in something like a medical book. It can't do fine kerning and that sort of thing either. InDesign and even Word are just miles beyond it. I do like Linux, but I have close to 50 programs that I use on a regular or semi-regular basis and many of them won't run on it and there is no good substitute, so I fear I'll be stuck with Windows for a very long time to come.

Bill
    Re: New Glennbo/Polymod Song - MetroGnome 2018/09/12 04:36:24 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    I used Linux years ago in a dual boot system. It's a good, quick OS. It's biggest problem has always been finding programs for it, especially video NLE's and effects packages that are worth a darn.

I haven't messed with video production using it, but with the native Linux version of REAPER, I'm getting 9.0ms roundtrip latency, and with a plugin bridge between WINE and Linux called LinVST, I'm running most of my Windows plugins, and getting good performance out of them.  With Microsoft becoming one of the biggest data miners on the planet, I'm gravitating more and more to Linux.

Same with things like office programs. For instance, LibreOffice (same as OpenOffice for the most part) is fine for real simple things but it lacks the sophistication of MS Office. I have a business formatting books (it's like digital typesetting), and Writer can't even produce proper headers and footers. Normally when you format a book you would have the books title in the header of the odd numbered pages and the author's name on the even numbered ones. Sometimes you might even want to have different headers for different sections in something like a medical book. It can't do fine kerning and that sort of thing either. InDesign and even Word are just miles beyond it. I do like Linux, but I have close to 50 programs that I use on a regular or semi-regular basis and many of them won't run on it and there is no good substitute, so I fear I'll be stuck with Windows for a very long time to come.

I know exactly what you are talking about with sophisticated word processing applications. I wrote an entire 300+ page technical manual for the software company I used to work for, and needed things like for it to generate my table of contents, and if I changed some pages around, be smart enough to be able to regenerate it to match the changes I made. Same thing with the appendix, and headers, or "this page intentionally left blank" always on the left side, chapters, page numbers and all that stuff.

I don't really need that kind of power now that I'm an early retiree, but if I did I'd prolly get Code Weavers CrossOver 17 that lets you run the full version of Microsoft Office in WINE. 

https://www.omgubuntu.co..../12/crossover-17-linux

Not trying to talk you into Linux, but I've talked myself into it, and have three of my seven machines in the house running it now. Before January 2020 hits, they will all be running Linux and I will be free of Microsoft for good.  :-)

Glennbo

Wayfarer
    Re: New Glennbo/Polymod Song - MetroGnome 2018/09/12 16:43:28 (permalink)
    ...and needed things like for it to generate my table of contents, and if I changed some pages around, be smart enough to be able to regenerate it to match the changes I made. Same thing with the appendix, and headers, or "this page intentionally left blank" always on the left side, chapters, page numbers and all that stuff.

I use Jutoh quite a bit to clean up (as in "rip out") all the junk MS coding in a manuscript when I first get it (I usually get .doc or .docx files) and to do all the basic formatting for the eBook versions (Mobi & ePub) of books first. I sometimes have to tweak the HTML / CSS a little afterwards (Sigil, MS Expression, and Notepad++ are all good for that in various ways), but Jutoh does what I need it to do 99% of the time without having to hand code everything, and it generates code that's darn near as good as I could write myself, even some of the media queries. Big time saver. It can't export to .doc or .docx, but it can export to .odt, so I do that and then use LibreOffice Writer to convert that to a .doc file and then do the headers & footers in Word 2003 (the last really good version of Word in my opinion) along with chasing down widows & orphans and do some final tweaking of fonts. Sometimes I bring the finished .doc file into LO Writer to make the PDF, but lately I've been using a good online converter for that: https://smallpdf.com/word-to-pdf

I've had the business for a few years now, but I'm getting to where I really hate it. The frustration factor of having to work with so many self-published author wannabees, half of whom seem to have never even read a book and have no clue of what goes into writing one, is a bit overwhelming at times.

Bill
    Re: New Glennbo/Polymod Song - MetroGnome 2018/09/16 14:08:10 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    ...and needed things like for it to generate my table of contents, and if I changed some pages around, be smart enough to be able to regenerate it to match the changes I made. Same thing with the appendix, and headers, or "this page intentionally left blank" always on the left side, chapters, page numbers and all that stuff.

I use Jutoh quite a bit to clean up (as in "rip out") all the junk MS coding in a manuscript when I first get it (I usually get .doc or .docx files) and to do all the basic formatting for the eBook versions (Mobi & ePub) of books first. I sometimes have to tweak the HTML / CSS a little afterwards (Sigil, MS Expression, and Notepad++ are all good for that in various ways), but Jutoh does what I need it to do 99% of the time without having to hand code everything, and it generates code that's darn near as good as I could write myself, even some of the media queries. Big time saver. It can't export to .doc or .docx, but it can export to .odt, so I do that and then use LibreOffice Writer to convert that to a .doc file and then do the headers & footers in Word 2003 (the last really good version of Word in my opinion) along with chasing down widows & orphans and do some final tweaking of fonts. Sometimes I bring the finished .doc file into LO Writer to make the PDF, but lately I've been using a good online converter for that: https://smallpdf.com/word-to-pdf

I've had the business for a few years now, but I'm getting to where I really hate it. The frustration factor of having to work with so many self-published author wannabees, half of whom seem to have never even read a book and have no clue of what goes into writing one, is a bit overwhelming at times.

Bill

That's way more involved than what I did. I just used a combination of Word Perfect, Word, and Open Office to create docs for the software I programmed, and took it to Kinkos printing to make shrink wrapped hard copies.

Glennbo

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1