Bandlab, when did they do this???

Author
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
2018/09/06 00:43:37 (permalink)

Bandlab, when did they do this???

Under my radar as is most of life, but just discovered something late to the party and don't know when or where it happened.

My biggest gripe about Sonar was the lack of being able to chain vsti synths. I needed that function for the fat sounds to mask lack of content as a mediocre keyboard player. Hoping Sonar would evolve like Reaper in this function.
I was one of the most vocal irritants and pissed many of you off over the years demanding a fix to bring Sonar out of the stone age.

Request fell on deaf ears from the devs. They obviously didn't give a fork. Apologists fired back at me saying it's easy. Quit griping, just create a template with many tracks to cover the shortfall.
Cool but too many steps to replicate what is possible otherwise on a single track. Look at what Studio One has achieved at the cutting edge.

To the point, fired up an old version of Bandlab, and the damned thing now chains vsti synths. Still not as elegant as Reaper in terms of individual volume controls of a synth, but has the forced midi thru function (in case a synth blocks data downstream).
Not Studio One level which currently I consider the Holy Grail of the native modular environment. However a major advancement I missed in the change log. Levels the playing field between Reaper, and Bandlab with now only a slight disadvantage under Reaper.

Have no idea when Bandlab added this, and hate to thing I had been blubbering about not having a basic function that was already put in Sonar before Bandlab took over. Happy camper even if a bit late in the game.

John

18 Replies Related Threads

Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/06 04:33:19 (permalink)
    Not sure when that was added John. I don't use it so it passed under my radar too!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Magic Russ
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 412
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/06 04:37:40 (permalink)
    I had no idea either.  How exactly does this work?

Check Out my presets for Rapture Classic
    http://patcharena.com/dow...5c3a1a706c5f940397d297
    JohnKenn
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/06 15:32:12 (permalink)
    This function allows you to add multiple keyboard synths in a chain on a single track. At least as of awhile back, you could have a professional DAW with a midi track but could only put one synthesizer in the chain. This was the norm. Sonar let you put one synth and could add series effects, but if you tried to add a second synth, the first one was deleted. Reaper came to the front with chains, series only, that let you play a piano synth followed by a string section, followed by an organ, etc. The wet dry effects knob for each synth in Reaper acted as the volume for each synth. The volume control for each channel is missing in Bandlab, but you can insert one soft synth on top of another in the same track and they will all play.

What is still missing in both Reaper and Bandlab is an individual synth pan control and a parallel routing. Studio One came out with this in ver 3 and took the lead. With a series only routing you can insert effects in the series chain but everything on one side of the effect is processed. In Studio one you can route a synth parallel with effects that will not color the other synths.

I stopped at Sonar X2 and am sure you could not chain synths. Maybe they put it in X3, but it is definitely an option in Bandlab making it quite an attractive option for a keyboard player.

John

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/06 19:32:03 (permalink)
    I wonder if the downside to doing that in a single chain might be that it would be limited to one CPU thread/core.

Plus the accumulated latency as your PC processed the signal chain in serial fashion from input to output, compared to running parallel tracks, synths, and effects on parallel threads/cores.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/06 19:34:51 (permalink)
    Hm... I am puzzled how you have managed to make it work.
    It is long time possible to technically insert several Synths as "effects" into single track FX bin. The feature was added to simplify MIDI routing to audio effects like guitar amps, since only "synth" has MIDI input routing ability.
    But the problems are with routing MIDI input and getting the sound from everything except the last synth in the chain. At least for me, the situation is still the same (not working) in Bandlab.

REAPER supports arbitrary routing, so one MIDI track can be routed to several synths. Here I do not understand where you see any limitation. In case someone wants several synths inside one track with separate processing for each (f.e. to use the track as a "modular synth" template), there are up to 64 channels in each track and so up to 32 stereo pairs for absolutely independent processing. For independent MIDI processing there are 16 MIDI buses (16 channels each) and configurable MIDI behavior for each FX/Synth in the chain.
    I am not sure about Studio One, but Bandlab with its single MIDI bus and fixed (1-2) channels per track is not even close to that.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    JohnKenn
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/06 21:07:37 (permalink)
    Abacab,
    Fortunately haven't noticed any appreciable latency issues running series connections either in Reaper or in Bandlab although I see your point and the chains have to be set to accept a midi thru or workaround from one to the next. Bandlab does this by having the input echo checked for each synth. Reaper gets around a blocked midi thru by (on the synth's individual rack) "2 out" (or however many, right click the tab) > Midi Output > Merges with Midi Bus. This creates a limited parallel routing delivering the midi input to each synth that would otherwise stall the chain if one synth doesn't have a built in thru function.

Azslow, got to check this out on Reaper and may unfortunately have to read the manual if I understand what you are getting at. My use has been to simply drop one synth after another in a series chain so all work. Limitation in doing it this way is no pan control for the individual synth and any effect placed anywhere in the chain processes any synth before it, so you couldn't for instance load 3 synths and have 3 different delays in line for the individual synth. You seem to be saying that you can set up multiple true parallel routings in Reaper. This would be dynamite. You've got me on a mission to figure this out.
    I was quite surprised when I fired up Bandlab for some reason and found that at minimum, the series chain now works. I'll get a step by step guide to how I did this in case I magically blundered into something that is not supposed to work.
    Thanks guys,
    John
    JohnKenn
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/06 21:44:00 (permalink)
    Well guys...

I really forked this one up good. (Sorry again) Looks like Bandlab or Sonar cannot chain synths. Was working under a resolution problem that appeared like the second synth was added to the same track. The addition was actually creating the next track when the pixels were corrected and I put my glasses on... Oh well...

Thanks though for the info on Reaper. The more recent developments going toward ver 6 have been visual layouts of routings. Groundless rumors running around that ver 6 may incorporate a Bidule type option to drag and drop synths and effects around in series and parallel chains. According to Azslow, the ability already exists hidden deeper under the hood and without a graphic presentation.
    Back to the drawing board with Bandlab.

John
    2:43AM
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1147
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/06 21:49:32 (permalink)
    JohnKenn
    Well guys...

I really forked this one up good. (Sorry again) Looks like Bandlab or Sonar cannot chain synths. 

Stick a fork in it, it's done?
    JohnKenn
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/07 00:43:40 (permalink)
    Amen bro.. Done stuk the fork and yesterday's news already, although hope nobody got as excited as I did.

Working with an excellent 17 yo surf guitarist whose laptop went screwed up south in the video mode, unknown reason from a lay perspective. Reaper's TCP track rack disappeared and couldn't get it back unless plugged into a second HDMI TV monitor. Wanted to dump Reaper and look at alternatives. Suggested Bandlab. Installed it and tested the system but as a budding keyboard newbie, advised that he couldn't chain synths like in Reaper. We fired Bandlab up and holy s**t. You could gang synths on the same track. Mind blowing. Artifact of whatever problem yet unresolved that took Reaper down, looked like you were able to chain synths.

Was so inspired and washed in the blood over this, opened up Bandlab on my home computer and the celebration was over. Insert was creating another track, not adding to the same track.

Would want to ask something however of Azslow, some help if you got time to advise.

Can't get Reaper to route parallel paths and probably my ignorance. Do you have an example, simplest how you can run two synths parallel so that independent effects can be installed in either path. Thanks.

John
    the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 317
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/08 04:36:04 (permalink)
    azslow3
    Hm... I am puzzled how you have managed to make it work.
    It is long time possible to technically insert several Synths as "effects" into single track FX bin. The feature was added to simplify MIDI routing to audio effects like guitar amps, since only "synth" has MIDI input routing ability.
    But the problems are with routing MIDI input and getting the sound from everything except the last synth in the chain. At least for me, the situation is still the same (not working) in Bandlab.

REAPER supports arbitrary routing, so one MIDI track can be routed to several synths. Here I do not understand where you see any limitation. In case someone wants several synths inside one track with separate processing for each (f.e. to use the track as a "modular synth" template), there are up to 64 channels in each track and so up to 32 stereo pairs for absolutely independent processing. For independent MIDI processing there are 16 MIDI buses (16 channels each) and configurable MIDI behavior for each FX/Synth in the chain.
    I am not sure about Studio One, but Bandlab with its single MIDI bus and fixed (1-2) channels per track is not even close to that.

You pretty much hit every item I was thinking when I read the original post. Putting things on different channels within a single track in REAPER really opens up the possibilities. I've only a few times had three or so different sets of stereo pipes running within a single track in REAPER, but it amazes me every time I set up one of those complex routings that I would have never thought possible in any DAW.

Glennbo
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    http://soundclick.com/glennbo

msorrels
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1025
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/08 12:23:43 (permalink)
    Some of us still hope CbB will add support for MIDI to the patch points system, so you can route a MIDI track to more than one synth.  Hasn't happened yet, but something like it seems possible.

You can however setup multi-synth rigs using a number of third party plugins.  Going this route is a lot easier actually since the results can be used in more than one DAW.  You can also get all sorts of complex parallel chains.  Plugins that can do this include (pretty sure there are others these are just the one's I know about):

DDMF Metaplugin (what I'm using currently)
    Image Line Minihost Modular (free/beta)
    Blue Cat's Patchwork (just updated, I'm waiting for a sale before I get it)
    New Sonic Arts Freestyle (again waiting for a sale, has a nifty feature to resample a synth for use with their Nuance sampler that seems very useful)

You can also set up things using MIDI patch drivers (LoopBe30 is what I usually use to route a MIDI track to more than one synth) and then use the built in patch points and audio tracks to setup any processing.

-Matt

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/08 13:19:23 (permalink)
    You can use Akai VIP on a single DAW track as a instrument plugin with up to 8 synths in a multi patch.

There are up to 4 insert FX and 4 sends internally on each synth slot.  There are also 4 internal busses with 4 FX slots each, plus a master bus with 4 FX slots before you output to the DAW.  Then you have 8 stereo multi audio outputs back to the DAW.

So you can do all that on one track of MIDI input, with from 1 - 8 tracks of stereo audio output.  Each of the 8 instruments can be assigned to a unique MIDI channel 1-16, or omni, as desired.  So splits or layers are both possible in a VIP multi patch.

The only real limitation with VIP is that it has no audio input, so you cannot use it just as an FX rack.  But it makes a great synth rack, which it what it was designed for!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    BobF
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/08 16:16:57 (permalink)
    JohnKenn
    Studio One came out with this in ver 3 and took the lead. With a series only routing you can insert effects in the series chain but everything on one side of the effect is processed. In Studio one you can route a synth parallel with effects that will not color the other synths.

Yep, Studio One has an in-built layering container called a 'Multi Instrument', with quite flexible routing.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

JohnKenn
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/09 00:36:59 (permalink)
    Still trying to figure out how to pull this off in Reaper although has been said here it can be done. Just over my head at this point.

Studio One has the capacity native and easy to get to. I've used chainers in the likes of Sonar without much trouble or added CPU drag, latency. Usually fell back on Energy XT though they haven't updated the vst/vsti plug in many years.

Some otherwise good chainers like P&M, Bidule etc don't have bridges so you can't mix or match 32 and 64 plugs. Appreciate the leads on chaining software and approaches you all have advised. I had bypassed the ImageLine host because it looked like it was only for FruityLoops users. Maybe gave up too soon.

Still feel like an idiot for getting this thread off the ground on a false premise. Looked good at the time on a defective laptop screen and thought I'd struck gold. Oh well, a couple more beers will numb the grief.

John

Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/09 14:12:20 (permalink)
    JohnKenn
    Still trying to figure out how to pull this off in Reaper although has been said here it can be done. Just over my head at this point.

What are you trying to accomplish? In REAPER you can throw multiple VSTi's on a single track and play them all from one keyboard, or you could put VSTi's on multiple tracks and then simply drag-n-drop from the sends bin of the track that will be recording midi to each of the tracks with VSTi's on them, and they will all play from one keyboard with the added benefit of being able to individually add FX.

You could also put multiple VSTi's on one track, but set the number of channels on the one track to as many stereo pairs as you need to support the number of VSTi's you have. This gets messy IMO because you no longer have the visual feedback to tell you which set of pipes is running what signals, but it could be done if you had to have all the VSTi's on a single track for some reason.

If I just want to stack instruments, I throw them all into the FX bin of a single track.

Note: You may or may not have to mess with the midi output from the VSTi's. If you click the button on the VSTi container that says "2 Out", there is an "I/O" button, and clicking it reveals several items including "MIDI Output". The choices on MIDI Output include "Replaces MIDI Bus", "Merges MIDI Bus", and "MIDI Output Disabled". Selecting "Merges MIDI Bus" will allow that VSTi to pass the midi on to the next one.

Glennbo

JohnKenn
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/09 16:10:06 (permalink)
    Thanks Glenbo,

I'm trying to get the flexibility of the Studio One approach in Reaper. I'm not surprised that it is reported that this can be done under the hood.
    I've used the simple (or apparent) method of adding synths in a chain on a single track which fills most needs but falls short in some areas. Inserting a third party chainer can solve the issues so it's more my OCD fixation on having the task done inside the DAW without outside help.

My problem with the obvious chaining behavior in Reaper is that the merge input midi bus function creates a wrapper for a pseudo parallel routing dealing only with initial input issues. It's function to take the input and route around a synth that has no midi thru capability and would thus block midi notes to the next synth in the series chain. Thus both synths are receiving midi input but are still ranked in a series chain. Works great for getting all synths in a chain to sound.

A disadvantage to total freedom in routing would be for instance if you had synth A and synth B with no midi thru, and adjusted by merging the midi input as if both synths were first in the chain. Then you wanted to apply a reverb to synth B only. Can't do it because the synths are still in a series chain even if receiving parallel input. Reverb will process everything upstream equally. Inability to apply panning to an individual synth is another problem.

Studio One as an example, or a flexible chainer can send the signal thru truly independent parallel routes so that you can set up an independent processing for each synth without affecting another synth.

Short instruction or example of the workflow from better minds on how to do this without involving multiple tracks would be appreciated.

John
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/09 22:40:17 (permalink)
    JohnKenn
    My problem with the obvious chaining behavior in Reaper is that the merge input midi bus function creates a wrapper for a pseudo parallel routing dealing only with initial input issues. It's function to take the input and route around a synth that has no midi thru capability and would thus block midi notes to the next synth in the series chain. Thus both synths are receiving midi input but are still ranked in a series chain. Works great for getting all synths in a chain to sound.

A disadvantage to total freedom in routing would be for instance if you had synth A and synth B with no midi thru, and adjusted by merging the midi input as if both synths were first in the chain. Then you wanted to apply a reverb to synth B only. Can't do it because the synths are still in a series chain even if receiving parallel input. Reverb will process everything upstream equally. Inability to apply panning to an individual synth is another problem.

OK, I think I just did what you are talking about using only REAPER's native routing.

I set a track up for midi recording and set it's number of channels to 4.

Then I put a Native Instruments B4 Organ as my first VSTi in the FX bin and set it to output on all 4 channels.

Next I added a Pantheon reverb as the second item in the FX bin and set it to only receive on 3 and 4, but to output on 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Lastly I put EZ-Drummer as the last VSTi in the chain, outputting on 1 and 2.

End result was the B4 Organ has reverb on it, but EZ-Drummer does not, and it all lives on one track.

Edit:

All that said, I'd never do it like that if I wanted BOTH to use multiple VSTi's that play from a single midi track, AND be able to individually add FX to them. If I were to make a piano/organ/strings/horns thing, I would put the piano, organ, strings, and horns each on their own track, have another track that records the midi and routes it to the four VSTi tracks, and a final folder track that the monstrosity instrument sound all lives in that could be collapsed down to a single track on screen when not making adjustments, but can be opened where everything is easy to see and make changes when need be. That's my $.02

Glennbo

JohnKenn
    Re: Bandlab, when did they do this??? 2018/09/10 00:05:09 (permalink)
    Glenbo,
    Got to study and see if I can apply. Respect the time and your effort to get me a basic roadmap.
    John
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1