How To Assign Midi Notes To Different Voices of Piano Hall

Author
OffworldWalker
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2018/09/06 22:49:31 (permalink)

How To Assign Midi Notes To Different Voices of Piano Hall

Hi.  I've imported midi notes into Music Creator and would like for the notes to be converted to sounds of Piano Hall vocals.  I assumed by changing the voice in the Piano Hall window the corresponding track with the midi notes will take on the selected sound but that's not happening.  

How can I get the instruments or vocals of the Piano Hall to be assigned to my imported midi notes?

Thanks.

8 Replies Related Threads

jimfogle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: How To Assign Midi Notes To Different Voices of Piano Hall 2018/09/07 01:21:26 (permalink)
    I'm not familiar with Piano Hall so I'm not understanding what you mean by "different notes to be converted to sounds of Piano Hall vocals."  Can you elaborate?

Generally speaking midi drum is the only instrument with different instrument patches for each midi note.  Other than that many instruments allow multiple patches for each note to account for the way a sound is altered by velocity.

You may be able to do what you want by using a software sampler VST.  tx16wx is free and has a good reputation.  https://www.tx16wx.com/

Jim F
    Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
    Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
    Music Creator 6
    Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
    Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
    http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

OffworldWalker
    Re: How To Assign Midi Notes To Different Voices of Piano Hall 2018/09/07 04:13:33 (permalink)
    I’ve done it with piano hall and about a year ago. I imported midi notes from another software and converted them to voices in Music Creator. Now it won’t work and I don’t know what I’m missing in the process. I was hoping that someone had a defined set of settings that I may have forgotten. I know it’s doable just not sure whether I’m doing something different or if it’s a software issue.

I’ll keep trying but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: How To Assign Midi Notes To Different Voices of Piano Hall 2018/09/09 16:32:56 (permalink)
    I find your question very confusing as Jimfogle does. I don't actually understand at all what you're trying to accomplish, as Piano Hall is unknown to me.
    Is Piano Hall an indendent  virtual instrument, soft synth, or one instrument included in a in a VST soft synth like TTS-1? If so, you need to look up how to use soft synths. I think it's tutorial #4, and IIRC you can get there with F1.

The normal procedure to hear MIDI as audio is to insert> synth (selecting first audio output track or more depending on the synth) and route the MIDI track to it, and have that synth as the input of an audio output track.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    OffworldWalker
    Re: How To Assign Midi Notes To Different Voices of Piano Hall 2018/09/10 05:32:03 (permalink)
    In Music Creator 7 you'll see the Piano Hall as an instrument when you right-click in the blank track area.  You get a context menu:  Insert From Track Template > Instrument > Piano Hall.

Once Piano Hall is loaded it also loads a corresponding synth.  double-clicking on the little piano icon either on the track or synth from the right panel you'll see many instrument choices including vocals.   

This feature stopped working for me for some reason.  I guess it has something to do with the drivers but I don't know where to began troubleshooting.  I've been at it for days but no luck.

Here's a link of the Piano Hall instrument [tube]https://youtu.be/YeUqeB7Fa50[/tube]

post edited by OffworldWalker - 2018/09/10 18:55:35
    SandlinJohn
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 188
    Re: How To Assign Midi Notes To Different Voices of Piano Hall 2018/09/13 19:48:00 (permalink)
    Make sure your MIDI track is set to send to the Piano Hall Soft Instrument, and on the MIDI channel the instrument expects. When you change the voice used by Piano Hall the MIDI notes should use that new voice. I don't have Music Creator 7 to test with.

When I set up an Instrument track in Cakewalk, the instrument wants to know where to look for MIDI data. The default is OMNI which is "all channels." Then I tell the existing MIDI track that it should use the soft instrument to output the MIDI to, instead of to my synth, which is my default MIDI out. When I go into the soft instrument and change the voice, say from Piano to Nylon Guitar, the sounds definitely change. The soft instrument I used in this case was the TTS-1 VST.

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Intel NUC micro-workstation with 5th Gen Intel i5-5250U, 16 GB RAM and 1.25 TB Storage, Yamaha MG10XU Mixer USB Interface, Yamaha HPH-MT8 Monitor Headphones, Yamaha MX-49 controller synth
    OffworldWalker
    Re: How To Assign Midi Notes To Different Voices of Piano Hall 2018/09/14 22:51:19 (permalink)
    I got some of the sounds to work but I think my problem was that I initially installed Music Creator 5 then later Music Creator 7 then the Sonar free platinum.  I noticed that these software put plugins in the same folder.  Also saw an uninstaller in the VSTPlugins folder.  I manually copied plugins from an older system that had Music Creator 5 and later noticed that they were deleted so I'm guessing that the missing sounds were deleted by the Music Creator 7. 

After installing the .fsz files manually into the plugins folder I'm able to load individuals sounds by inserting them as instrument templates which is fine but still don't have a .fsz file of the voices that I used on my previous work.
    I loved the voices of the Music Hall plugin but sadly I've spent two weeks looking for solutions and I'm going to have to use an alternative perhaps a generic aahh sound or choir sound.

Thanks for your help.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: How To Assign Midi Notes To Different Voices of Piano Hall 2018/09/14 23:19:10 (permalink)
    You may install MC5, MC7 then SHS (and or CbB).  But keep this in mind
    MC5 is 32bit only
    MC7 and SHS are both 32bit and 64bit. By default, the Command Center installs the version appropriate for the OS.

Any DX plug-ins installed by 32bit MC5 and MC7 will work not work in 64bit MC7 and CbB.

On a 64bit OS, 32bit Cakewalk DAWs install "Program Files (86)" folders. 64bit DAWs install in "Program Files." When running a 64bit DAW depending on install order, it may be necessary to add the 32bit plug-in paths to 64bit DAWs in order for them to pick up 32bit VST plug-ins. 64bit DAWs can bridge 32bit VST plug-ins but not 32bit DX plug-ins.

"Piano Hall" is a track template. The "Piano Hall" template uses a 32bit VST synth called Cakewalk Sound Center. This synth must be installed using the manufacturer supplied installer. Simply copying this synth from another install is not enough. The synth relies on registry entries made during the install process.

It might be easier to start clean then install MC5 (if you want a 32bit DAW) then install MC7 using Cakewalk Command Center then install Cakewalk by BandLab (using BandLab Assistant) if you want a more capable DAW. To get CbB requires a BandLab Account. This account should be setup using the same email address as your Cakewalk account.

Be aware step 8 in the clean install instructions will delete everything in the default VSTPlugins folders. Consider making a copy of these folders if there are VST plug-ins installed that did not come with MC5, MC7 or SHS.
    OffworldWalker
    Re: How To Assign Midi Notes To Different Voices of Piano Hall 2018/09/18 03:57:03 (permalink)
    Thank you so very much scook.  Exactly my issue.  I guess one of my recent updates of MC7 made my 32bit vsts' an issue.  I was able to play the 32bit vst files in my MC7 until recently.   Your recommendation of the clean install is definitely the way but the download link in my Cakewalk account says "No downloads are available for this product".  I have a second machine with Windows 10 that I was hoping to install MC5 but I'm now considering redoing the projects.  6 months worth of material I thought would always be there to edit until I was ready to mixdown.

Thanks for the education in all this.  I'll find a solution out of all the info you gave me.  Thanks again for all your help.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1