SONAR Platinum + Cakewalk by Bandlab on fresh OS installs going forward

Author
Falk
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2018/09/07 07:18:59 (permalink)

SONAR Platinum + Cakewalk by Bandlab on fresh OS installs going forward

Hey folks, had to set up a new rig recently, entertained the notion of installing just CbB and going from there and got about half a project in before realizing that I'd still need an SPLAT installation (or, well, Cakewalk Command Center) to get everything back from Bifilter to Channel Tools. hence I've got Command Center up and running to install all the FX suites (and by inclusion, SPLAT) again.

I know this completely isn't Bandlab's territory anymore and there's been quite some progress migrating plugin bundling in SOME cases, but I'd still need the rest of it for recalling old projects and because some of these have been so integral to the workflow. 

For now, getting all the FX suites via Command Center, but I'm wondering if that's going to be a problem in future, despite Gibson's final statement of keeping those servers up and running (mainly because anything can happen to Gibson)

Should I be backing up the VST/plugin directory? Would that cause issues dragging and dropping to a new installation? Is it a ticking time bomb anyway because of authentication in the case of some plugins?

3 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: SONAR Platinum + Cakewalk by Bandlab on fresh OS installs going forward 2018/09/07 08:44:35 (permalink)
    Drag & Drop won't work, you need to run the original installers

As to what you want, it depends on how far back you want to go

For example, if you want the Pantheon Reverb, you have to go back to 8.5 (which means you need 8.0 installed)
    V-Vocal would be X2
    Bit Meter is X2

And so on

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Falk
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: SONAR Platinum + Cakewalk by Bandlab on fresh OS installs going forward 2018/09/08 13:41:34 (permalink)
    Actually, that's a very good point; I've been assuming I'd need to run Cakewalk Command Center to grab SPLAT, etc. but keeping a backup of the actual installers (assuming these exist) would be a healthy middle ground. Been conditioned by a decade of Steam gaming to not worry about installers ;)

I think SPLAT is basically where I'd draw the line for backwards-compatibility opening older projects. If for whatever reason we need to go beyond that, I'll just find replacements assuming we didn't stem those projects.
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: SONAR Platinum + Cakewalk by Bandlab on fresh OS installs going forward 2018/09/08 13:57:13 (permalink)
    I could have moved the Splat installers, but I found it easier to just let Command Center handle it.
    You still have to connect to get Splat authorized.
    T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1