Looking for the right midi sample

Author
tcolton5
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 203
2018/09/11 22:53:03 (permalink)

Looking for the right midi sample

I'm trying to record a version of David Bowie's "Cat People" on the Let's Dance LP.  This is a question for you keyboard and midi players out there.  I'm new to midi but can do some things.  I need to find the right patch or sample of the really cool keyboard sound in that track.  See youtube link below.  I tried a few things like using a Hammond on the bottom and a DX7 on the top. I'm primarily using the synths that came with Sonar.  If anyone has any idea how to emulate that track that would be great.
Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4xpdaIZyzs

TomC
Lenovo T530 (Laptop)
Windows 8 (64 bit)
Intel(R) Core (TM) I7-3430(M) 2.90 GHz
Sonar Platinum 
Presonus Firestudio, Faderport
Universal Solo/610 Audio Pre-amp
Nektar Impact LX 40
http://www.tomcoltonmusic.com

4 Replies Related Threads

promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: Looking for the right midi sample 2018/09/11 23:06:22 (permalink)
    Exactly which version of SONAR are you using? Which synths do you actually have access to?  Personally, I would try and edit an existing patch to achieve that sound.

I'm thinking a Hammond with a filter envelope, maybe layered with a DX7 sound. 

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    Audioicon
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 349
    Re: Looking for the right midi sample 2018/09/12 03:09:43 (permalink)
    tcolton5
    I'm trying to record a version of David Bowie's "Cat People" on the Let's Dance LP.  This is a question for you keyboard and midi players out there.  I'm new to midi but can do some things.  I need to find the right patch or sample of the really cool keyboard sound in that track.  See youtube link below.  I tried a few things like using a Hammond on the bottom and a DX7 on the top. I'm primarily using the synths that came with Sonar.  If anyone has any idea how to emulate that track that would be great.
    Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4xpdaIZyzs

Do you have a sampler? Then Sample the song, chop it up and that's it.
    Otherwise you will need to look into a Library to find it.

Here is what you can do.
    1. Find a live version (video) of the track
    2. What keyboards are they playing? I see this a lot, you can easily see the keys, then find the patch.
      For example: I own all of the Yamaha Motif and Montage and so if an artist is playing a song using one of these, then I can easily find the sound. Unless it's a combination then that becomes a bit tedious. 

Look at this live version: I did not listen entirely to see the keys but you can.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrDSPZBfzh4

Checkout my new song: Playing on YouTube: EUPHORIA.
    Steev
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 314
    Re: Looking for the right midi sample 2018/09/12 09:59:00 (permalink)
    Try using the Cakewalk TTS-1, it has 9 different "Banks" (complete presets versions) accessible thru bank selection from the MIDI track so you may very well find the right sounding organ patch your looking for by switching banks.
     If not, you can add a modulation audio FX plugin like Chorus, phase, flange, or Rotary patch or what ever on the audio output channel for the organ to fine tune for perfection.

The TTS-1 uses the Roland SoundCanvas synth engine, which is really sweet especially for this era of pop music.
     It can also be configured to output to 4 separate audio tracks which can be treats and tweaked with different audio plugins for some very exacting results and sound quality, and is very easy on the CPU, so if you want use it for more than 4 synth track parts, simply open up another instance of the TTS-1. 

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
    Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
    Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
    Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
    Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

tcolton5
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 203
    Re: Looking for the right midi sample 2018/09/12 17:30:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input.
    I'm using Sonar Platinum with little midi experience so I've been going through the libraries in dimension and Rapture and I've been coming up with different sounds but not exactly what I'm looking for. I'll try TTS-1 as well.  If anyone comes up with anything please let me know.

TomC
    Lenovo T530 (Laptop)
    Windows 8 (64 bit)
    Intel(R) Core (TM) I7-3430(M) 2.90 GHz
    Sonar Platinum 
    Presonus Firestudio, Faderport
    Universal Solo/610 Audio Pre-amp
    Nektar Impact LX 40
    http://www.tomcoltonmusic.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1