Is there a program to change the swing factor of a drum loop (wav)

Author
michael japan
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5252
2018/09/13 07:22:34 (permalink)

Is there a program to change the swing factor of a drum loop (wav)

So, I am producing this CD for a chap and all of his songs sound the same. It is for kids so will use drum loops -many from the native media loops. All of his songs would fit to a swing pattern but would like to take patterns already made (low budget and for kids) and be able to change them to swing a little more or less. Can this be done?

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol

3 Replies Related Threads

Skyline_UK
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Is there a program to change the swing factor of a drum loop (wav) 2018/09/13 07:25:26 (permalink)
    Program changes are only for use in MIDI clips/tracks.  The only way to change the swing, i.e. timing of some hits, in a WAV file would be to bring it into CWbBL and use Melodyne to move some of the 'notes'. Darn difficult though, in terms of which ones to move.  I think AudioSnap can be used also, I seem to remember a 'swing' feature, but I've never had much success understanding/using AudioSnap to advise further.  No doubt someone with a better idea will be along soon!

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
    OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
    Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
    Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
    + too many other plugins
    BandLab page
    Blogospherianman
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re: Is there a program to change the swing factor of a drum loop (wav) 2018/09/13 18:08:50 (permalink)
    I use audio snap to do this. Sometimes I change a Jingle from straight to swung for a completely different feel... original songs too. You'll want to make sure your transient markers are in the right place first. You can then use Quantize to swing the audio, OR manually move the Transients by hand. I've done both for different situations. Typically you'll be swinging the eighth notes OR the sixteenth notes depending on the song you're working on. If it's eighth note swing, you'll be moving the notes on the 'AND's of the beat (one AND two AND three AND four AND. If it's sixteenth note swing you'll move the notes or audio that's on the 'EE' and 'UH's of the beat. (one EE and UH two EE and UH three EE and UH four EE and UH.

In Sonar (Cakewalk) Swing @ 66% is a 'normal' swing (quater note , eighth note in a tripulet time). 50% is straight (no swing). Beyond 66% is Over swung( useful in EDM or Jazz swing). In between 50% and 66% you'll find an in between feel. (think Jerry Lee lewis or the song 'Run Run Rudolph') Below 50% is a negative swing also good for a change in 'Feel'. Probably not what you're going for here though.

Not that hard to do, you will need to have some patience and diligence.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Is there a program to change the swing factor of a drum loop (wav) 2018/09/13 19:10:57 (permalink)
    Blogospherianman
    I use audio snap to do this. Sometimes I change a Jingle from straight to swung for a completely different feel... original songs too. You'll want to make sure your transient markers are in the right place first.

Not that hard to do, you will need to have some patience and diligence.

+1, my approach as well.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1