Command to zoom to fit project horizontally?

Author
Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
2018/09/15 13:31:18 (permalink)

Command to zoom to fit project horizontally?

This is a move so common in my other DAW that it doesn't even use a modifier, it's just the "0" key all by itself and I use it about as often during a session as RTZ.

You know, it doesn't change track height or open or close any folders or anything annoying, or move anything else around, it just zooms out (or in, as the case may be) and centers the project timeline nice and tidy so that you can get an overview. I pretty much use it at least at the end of every take by reflex. Or at least I did until I started using Cakewalk.

The closest I can find in Cakewalk is the "Resizes and zooms tracks to see entire project," command, which I quickly assigned to a Control Bar button, but while that does the zoom thing, it also resizes the tracks, which is a silly thing to do when I only have say, three tracks so far and then I get these three TALL TRACKS that I then have to shrink back down which is enough of a pain that it's easier just to zoom the project manually and fiddle around with the scroll bars to center it. I just want the same command without the "resizes." Is it in there somewhere?

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly

5 Replies Related Threads

msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Command to zoom to fit project horizontally? 2018/09/15 15:02:03 (permalink)
    I'm not sure there is one, but here's how I do it:

• Press "F" to fit tracks vertically
    • Use the mouse wheel whilst holding down ALT to zoom horizontally

You can actually zoom both at once using SHIFT+ALT with the mouse wheel, but I don't find this particularly useful, as it keeps on increasing the vertical height way past the point of usefulness.

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    mkerl
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 190
    Re: Command to zoom to fit project horizontally? 2018/09/15 15:45:11 (permalink)
    What I do sometimes: put the mouse arrow in the upper part of the timeline until it becomes a magnifier. left-click and drag the mouse to zoom horizontal, right-click and drag to zoom vertical.

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
    Euthymia
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    Re: Command to zoom to fit project horizontally? 2018/09/16 03:57:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips!

Unfortunately, since I use a trackball (Logitech Trackman Marble), I don't get to do the wheel stuff. That's the only time I regret it, when there's wheelin' to do. The rest of the time, man, I do love my trackball for DAW work.

-Erik
    Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
    Bassman002
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re: Command to zoom to fit project horizontally? 2018/09/16 05:45:21 (permalink)
    HI:)

I f I have only 3 Tracks and press Shift+F, these 3 tracks fill out the window vertically and the whole project horizontally!

But: It makes a difference if you have Autozoom On or Off (Shift+Z to switch). With Autozoom Off all tracks have the same height, with Autozoom On the selected track has its last state height.

If you have more than 3 Tracks and just want to see 3 tracks and the whole project, first mark these tracks, press Ctrl+Shift+H and then Shift F.

Ctrl+F is for fitting the events in the track.

I have Autohotkey in the background, so I would make a Hotkey for Ctrl+Shift+H, then Shift+F, if I need it often! For me it is much faster to pull 2 knobs on my BCR2000 for zooming hor. and vert.

Greetz:)
    Bassman.

Cakewalk for DOS Shareware
    Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
    All Versions of Cakewalk
    Sonar Platinum 64bit
    msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Command to zoom to fit project horizontally? 2018/09/16 09:37:17 (permalink)
    Euthymia
    Thanks for the tips!

Unfortunately, since I use a trackball (Logitech Trackman Marble), I don't get to do the wheel stuff. That's the only time I regret it, when there's wheelin' to do. The rest of the time, man, I do love my trackball for DAW work.

Yeah, my original trackball didn't have a wheel.

I replaced it with this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-Orbit-Mouse-Ergonomic-Compatible/dp/B002Q42S4E/

I originally just got the one, but I got so used to using the wheel I had to get ones for all my other machines.

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1