simple orchestration- to conquer

Author
korn3lius
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41
2005/02/20 05:12:21 (permalink)

simple orchestration- to conquer

this my simple orchestration, about 2 min...try to imagine the battle scene.
when the orcs got to attack the human or something like that.
appreciate your comment, critics, and advise about music, mix, etc

to conquer

thx

4 Replies Related Threads

brendantownsend
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 279
    RE: simple orchestration- to conquer 2005/02/20 06:15:22 (permalink)
    Hi Korn3lius

Welcome to the Sonar fold

This would be my humble suggestion...

By all means make the piece more interesting by switching the rhythm with foreground instruments, though I think that the underlying beat should be repetitive and sustained with the big drums, with underlying bassy horn/string chord hits in time with the bass drum to reinforce the foundation - so-to-speak. This should fatten the rhythm and help make the bass drum a little less "on its own" - particularly after the first few bars.

Also, you might like to try a subdued violin string hold followed by a basic snare march sequence just prior to the opening horn (I think that's what it's supposed to be), but would definitely benefit from a better sound sample for the horn (?) as it just sounds a bit... well..."odd" Also, try ramping the opening horn with a volume envelope to reduce the attack, such as would be the case when blowing it. However, if it gives you the sound that you want then you might like to try simultaneously adding in just a weeny hint of + or - octave notes, or equalisation, which might improve the overall sound. There's also room for aspiring, fast tremolo violins (for example) to add that sense of danger and foreboding.

Also, the piece may benefit from the addition of rapid, repeated rising string arpeggio off-beat to the big drum to fatten things up a bit for a slight crescendo, just before the midway pause.

Of-course the final goal is what you want and not myself or anyone else, though you might like to experiment with the above to see if it improves on what you are looking for. Also, I don't know what samples you are using though it would definitely benefit from further experimentation with different sounds for the more prominent instruments.

Good luck with your work.

Brendan.
    post edited by brendantownsend - 2005/02/20 07:13:28

S6Pro; P5v2; XV-5080; V-Drums+SPD11; 2x Delta 1010; Soundcraft 24ch; TC M3000 Reverb; Keystation Pro88; Alesis M1Active 620; Dual 3.2GHz 2+2MB; 4GB 800MHz XMS-2; 5x 10krpm HDD; RAID-0; XP PRO & 64
    gugliel
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: simple orchestration- to conquer 2005/02/21 13:47:14 (permalink)
    You captured a lot of the interest in the imagined scene. Good work. Toward the end the steady underlying rhythms got a little less interesting for me.

www.soundclick.com/guglielmo
    Delerium
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: simple orchestration- to conquer 2005/02/22 12:54:38 (permalink)
    Hey that's pretty cool.

I've never done an orchestration like that in my life though I love ambient soundtrack and mood ideas. I may have to give it a whirl.
    korn3lius
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: simple orchestration- to conquer 2005/02/23 00:09:27 (permalink)
    Hi Brendan,Gugliel, and Delerium
    glad to see your comment and advise..it's very useful for me.
    I thought that this song didn't full enough, i mean didn't have much variation
    will try to do better in the next song

thank you
    Edy
    post edited by korn3lius - 2005/02/23 00:18:45
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1