Helpful ReplyAI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/21 16:54:51 (permalink)
vladasyn
Saying, "We just basic DAW, if you want other tools- go with 3rd party" is not the way to move toward the future.

Actually...I think it is. The field of machine learning (which I think has far more potential for music than AI) and AI are complex, evolving, and specialized fields. Furthermore, the level of integration with a program is mostly scooping up data - the analysis happens outside the program, and then the conclusions "pour" back into the program the same way (but of course, in a much more involved way) as data from a hardware controller making changes in EQ, automation, etc.

If I was a machine learning developer who was interested in music, I would not design a DAW to go along with it. I'd feel that the DAW world is relatively mature, and I would just want to create compatible products rather than re-invent the wheel.

As soon as plug-ins were invented, DAWs went down the road of being modular, rather than self-contained. Machine learning is a perfect candidate for a modular approach.

I wrote an article for Pro Sound News, Pro Audio and Machine Learning - Ready for Prime Time? that you might find interesting.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/21 19:52:56 (permalink)
This is nice article, thanks for sharing. Could you, please, explain this better?

"I analyze a mixed file and look for half-cycle peaks that exceed, for example, -3 dB below a reference. There can easily be 30 or 40 such peaks. I can then normalize each half cycle down to -3 dB, which allows raising the overall level by 3 dB without introducing artifacts like pumping, while maintaining the dynamics."

So you say that it is a job of AI or ML developer to make compatible product and you dont see any use of DAW company to actually find talented individuals or small companies and collaborate with them to inspire, motivate, encourage them to develop mutual products that would benefit DAW and offer support and umbrella to new developing company? (Also Cakewalk probably not in the position to offer any support right now), but otherwise how do you break ahead of competition? The AI/ML developer may not know what musicians need. They need to be shown and told, "Look, we need you to teach your machine to sort through best takes and build ideal vocal track" and offer them financial incentive. (I am mediocre vocalist and it takes forever to go through 10 takes of each phrase to pick the best one!). If Cakewalk could sort through vocal takes, I would buy that upgrade right away!  

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
Audioicon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 349
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/21 19:55:25 (permalink)
vladasyn
There also apps that use artificial intelligence to fill song with drum tracks and even create melodies and chords.

You really want that? 
That's ridiculous. 

Checkout my new song: Playing on YouTube: EUPHORIA.
vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/21 20:14:48 (permalink)
I would be happy if it fills song with drums for me. 

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
Anderton
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/21 20:23:57 (permalink)
vladasyn
This is nice article, thanks for sharing. Could you, please, explain this better?

"I analyze a mixed file and look for half-cycle peaks that exceed, for example, -3 dB below a reference. There can easily be 30 or 40 such peaks. I can then normalize each half cycle down to -3 dB, which allows raising the overall level by 3 dB without introducing artifacts like pumping, while maintaining the dynamics."

Basically, it opens up headroom by reducing the absolute highest peaks. Then you can raise the file's overall level without exceeding the available headroom.

So you say that it is a job of AI or ML developer to make compatible product and you dont see any use of DAW company to actually find talented individuals or small companies and collaborate with them to inspire, motivate, encourage them to develop mutual products that would benefit DAW and offer support and umbrella to new developing company?

No, that's not what I said at all.

We already have a fine example of what I'm talking about: Melodyne. ARA came about because of PreSonus collaborating with Celemony, and Cakewalk was involved as well. I don't think either Cakewalk or PreSonus wanted to stop development of their flagship products to become experts at pitch correction.

But otherwise how do you break ahead of competition?

You can point to other programs that do pitch correction, but they won't create a tempo track like Cakewalk can because they're not ARA. If you want pitch correction that's integrated really well with a program, yet has the potential for future expansion and development, at this point your best options are CbB and Studio One. They're ahead of the competition in that respect not because they did the pitch correction, but because they signed on with a company that have incredible expertise in that field, and shared their expertise.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/21 20:31:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby msmcleod 2018/09/21 22:13:50
Anderton

Actually...I think it is. The field of machine learning (which I think has far more potential for music than AI) and AI are complex, evolving, and specialized fields. Furthermore, the level of integration with a program is mostly scooping up data - the analysis happens outside the program, and then the conclusions "pour" back into the program the same way (but of course, in a much more involved way) as data from a hardware controller making changes in EQ, automation, etc.

If I was a machine learning developer who was interested in music, I would not design a DAW to go along with it. I'd feel that the DAW world is relatively mature, and I would just want to create compatible products rather than re-invent the wheel.

As soon as plug-ins were invented, DAWs went down the road of being modular, rather than self-contained. Machine learning is a perfect candidate for a modular approach.

I wrote an article for Pro Sound News, Pro Audio and Machine Learning - Ready for Prime Time? that you might find interesting.

I don't know how many know that VocalSync was over a year of RND and used advanced machine learning techniques to for its detection algorithms. One of the developers who built the DSP is a PhD in machine learning. Detecting patterns in speech and music for alignment is a black art and only a few companies do this. SyncroArts is the market leader in that space.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/21 22:09:12 (permalink)
My first post here was meant to be sarcastic, but I am not sure that is how it was taken by all. There really is a significant philosophical question regarding fully machine generated music which will probably never be addressed in practice. Like most such profound questions about the nature of humanity, it is likely that technology will just make philosophical insight largely irrelevant. From a consumer/publisher point of view, music is a commodity, and when machines can create hit songs more reliably, faster and cheaper than humans by themselves or using machine assistance like DAW's, the average listener and publisher is just going to go for the artificial stuff. There will undoubtedly be boutique human crafted compositions for a long time to come, just as there are artisanal pickled carrots and hand made furniture being sold in today's modern world of the future. But the stuff playing on the radio will mostly be factory built. People will think it is quaint that we once thought that music was a mode of communication person to person. The current method of music created by teams led by "producers" cobbling together beats and loops to mimic the sound of the last big hit is already showing the direction the industry is moving.

So my music hobby will be like every other human hobby, just a way of keeping busy exploring my own taste and technique, and the people on forums like his will be like civil war reenactors encouraging each other to live in an imaginary past. From time to time a robot monitoring our self indulgent efforts will find something it does not already do, improve it and start turning out much better stuff in our style for the masses. 
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/22 04:22:06 (permalink)
Anyone for tilting at windmills?

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/22 11:27:52 (permalink)
@noel, when's the replacement forum coming? thx

just a sec

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/22 16:13:09 (permalink)
I was spear headed in this forum about 5 or 6 years ago for giving my opinion on samples and loop content.
At the time I believed people who used loops (4 and 8 bar loops you can buy in sample packs) were frauds.
Thinking they cant play an instrument and are faking it.

In the present I have come to realize these might be inspiring musicians trying to find a way in to making beats.
Times change, when I was younger if you used a drum machine on an album you were a loser.
Rather than be that guy who says " When I was kid we didnt".. or .. "Kids today have no idea".
I would rather embrace them and help them in any way possible and also be open to any new ideas.

There is still that shrill factor in me that despises computer based music with no "Real" instruments (such as guitars, bass, drums, exc)
But now a day these are the "real" instruments. 

So im all for Artificial intelligences. Not so much to write the songs for us But to assist in the process. 
Im also 100% in on having a duplicate AI husband to do my wife's chore list as well

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Anderton
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/22 16:46:33 (permalink)
chuckebaby
So im all for Artificial intelligences. Not so much to write the songs for us But to assist in the process.

Exactly. There have been lots of "computers make music" experiments and while they have the "look and feel" of music, for some reason they just don't connect. Even the attempts to take highly defined music like Bach's and create a new piece based on the kind of "rules" Bach used just don't sound like Bach.

Studioguy1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 244
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/22 16:55:12 (permalink)
You know it really irks me when these topics of other daws come up. But then, that is probably why these birds post these things.  Now, I can totally understand if something like this is placed in the suggestion for improvement area, but I honestly don't give a hoot what the other daws are doing.  Having tried most of them on both PC and MAC and there is none that work for me, personally, like Cakewalk from BandLab.  And the truth is, they amaze me with every update.  Every time I think they couldn't make it better, they do.  That works for me and my music.  It really comes down to different strokes for different folks, now, doesn't it?  As far as I know, Logic products are still strictly for MAC, right?  I stopped using a Mac 10 years ago, so it definitely doesn't hit my interest button. 

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
- 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
Blue Clown Records Ltd
Blue Clown Publishing BMI
Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/22 17:15:38 (permalink)
Oh, I always thought AI means extraterrestrial in German (AusserIrdisch)!
Sometimes you find AI also on number plates in Switzerland.

Frankly, I think AI is an expression invented by IT guys to define how brilliant their software is. Often it's hard for me to find their "hidden" intelligence! Most of the time it's rather primitive what they call AI.

Marc

... many years before ...
jb101
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/23 01:04:30 (permalink)
BenMMusTech
Come on too...I mean writing drums isn't hard. Mostly, its 4 bars of time and then a bar of fill.

Really?

Sonar Platinum
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/23 04:00:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby a13xhp 2018/09/23 11:37:29
chuckebaby
I was spear headed in this forum about 5 or 6 years ago for giving my opinion on samples and loop content.
At the time I believed people who used loops (4 and 8 bar loops you can buy in sample packs) were frauds.
Thinking they cant play an instrument and are faking it.

In the present I have come to realize these might be inspiring musicians trying to find a way in to making beats.
Times change, when I was younger if you used a drum machine on an album you were a loser.
Rather than be that guy who says " When I was kid we didnt".. or .. "Kids today have no idea".
I would rather embrace them and help them in any way possible and also be open to any new ideas.

There is still that shrill factor in me that despises computer based music with no "Real" instruments (such as guitars, bass, drums, exc)
But now a day these are the "real" instruments. 

Im also 100% in on having a duplicate AI husband to do my wife's chore list as well

Whilst I agree with your statement, because in fact what you're talking about is the last one hundred years of western art music. The loop was theoretically conceived of in 1913 by The Futurist painter Luigi Russolo or The Art of Noises, he also built his own instrument The Intonarumori. Coincidently built from bits of gramaphone records. John Cage and Pierre Schaeffer then built and experimented with Russolo's theory to create what we understand as sampling. Both are the godfathers of what we now call a DJ. This is because both used gramaphone record players in the same way as a DJ to create the contemporary techniques of a DJ. There was a Swedish or German guy who used a duel gramaphone record in the early 20s too - so no...Jimmy SaVILE didn't invent the contemporary concept of the DJ as he so claimed :). Of course the history also shows why the idea of cultural appropriation is nonsense...because hip-hop and rap appropriated what the historical avant-garde or white dudes created. It was The Beatles who then facilitated the popularization of the loop and other important sonic and visual techniques used across cultural production today. My point being - it is important to embrace new ideas and techniques...absolutely, and AI generated music could become one of these modern techniques added to the 5 major ones created by all three movements of the avant-garde. The issue is, as we can see in contemporary cultural production - if we become lazy and allow the new technique do all the heavy lifting...it can cause problems later for creators of cultural production. ;)

The loop is a prime example of this theory. The avant-gardes free us from having to read and write music, but there was still a strong pull and desire to learn an instrument. It could be said that radio and in particular the BBC trained the next generation of great musicians and composers - we can hear this training throughout the rock-avant-garde era...roughly 1964 through to 1980. Queen in particular are a prime example of radio ear training...in doubt listen Bohemian Rhapsody...probably one of the best 20th century compositions, and the best or pinnacle of analogue recorded art. But when the radio is supplanted by TV and MTV - the quality of music content starts to decline. This is just my opinion, but I think the current state of music culture sort of backs that opinion up. And sure there will be great music out there...but finding it and funding is a problem.

What the last one hundred years of sonic experimentation also achieved was an unparalleled advance of music technology. Think about it this way - Beethoven wants a better piano, it gets built. He doubles the size of the orchestra, leading to bigger and better concert halls. Better horns too...but this was what 100 years of music technology expansion looked like then. In our contemporary era - we've seen 2 new recording mediums and distribution technologies introduced. We've seen countless new instruments added, and we've seen the convergence of sound and vision...where it became necessary for a visual accompaniment of the sonic element. Pure music lost its appeal. This can perhaps be disputed...but I think it's pretty obvious what I'm saying is the truth.

So music innovation, particularly music technology innovation needs each element of the music production process to be firing for innovation to continue. We can already see the conundrum of the avant-gardes in the contemporary era of music innovation contraction. Because the avant-gardes free us from needing a symphony and how to write for a symphony - but at the cost of music literacy, which had underpinned 400 years of western art music and innovation, and the last 100 years of innovation on speed.

Here is some evidence of the contraction. In 2002, Sonar was a software only product...off the top of my head - Sonar 2 cost 400 dollars for just the basic version. No bells and whistles...it came with a tome of a manual and on CD...no DVDs then either. As a software only company - it did alright. All DAWs were software only companies then. But the market shifted in 2007/8 the next prosumer revolution began. This meant cultural production tech, that was out of the reach of all but a few became available to almost all. And by prosumer - we're taking Abbey Road and Hollywood on a laptop. The technology though has only matured in the last year or two. What this prosumer revolution also did was change the DAW game, software only was never going to be a profitable business. Of course it wasn't only the prosumer revolution - a by-product of prosumer revolution The Capple iPhone also made software only unprofitable by introducing the ubiquitous 3 dollar app. Today we can the end result in the change of software after the prosumer revolution and Crapple by looking at the DAWs that survived this change - Cubase is owned by Yamaha, Logic by Crapple. Pro Tools - once the dominant player across the industry is now handed around (purchesed) because the once behemoth product is too expensive and unwieldy to continue its dominance. New players or relatively new players in the market like Presonus and Motu started as predominately hardware makers and now create DAWs for those pieces of hardware. Sonar of course has been swallowed up and spat out twice now and is now free. I'm still puzzled as to what Bandlab is and is trying to do in this regard. But these days I'm more interested in mastering the technological eco-system - both sound and vision than the next whatever...because I also know that the DAW is now a mature product. I don't expect my technological eco-system to be perfect, because I'm not and so long as I have a reasonable good machine to run the eco-system...i have relatively few problems.

My point to all this...if havent been able to decipher my long and verbose missive :) is...embrace all ideas in regards to sound and vision production...but never call yourself a musician unless you play an instrument or indeed read and write music. If you're an errant button pusher...you are nothing more than a child in kindergarten playing with coloured blocks! One of your tracks - someone like me could replicate in a day and day in and day out. We need to encourage people who want to make music to embrace music literacy to get the best of of the amazing tech available to each and everyone of in the contemporary era. We need to embrace the new digital theory paradigm, which some still resist because of a misunderstanding of the medium and because it was 'how we did in analog' and worse 'their ideas are based on digital audio theory' that are now 20 and even worse 40 years old. PCM was invented in the 1930s and the first digital recording was made in the late 70s. If we don't - then the continued decline in music but not just music will continue to decline in quality, learning to less innovation. Of course I accept some may still enjoy the children's music of today. But to me...music is still a high order language - capable of communicating the full range of human emotion and to be able to express these emotions even if you can't speak the native tounge of the listener.

Peace and Love

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/23 09:08:26 (permalink)
jb101
BenMMusTech
Come on too...I mean writing drums isn't hard. Mostly, its 4 bars of time and then a bar of fill.

Really?

i'd love to hear from some drummers on this

just a sec

SimpleManZ
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/23 15:08:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2018/09/24 02:56:29
because hip-hop and rap appropriated what the historical avant-garde or white dudes created. It was The Beatles who then facilitated the popularization of the loop and other important sonic and visual techniques used across cultural production today.
I think it is a breaking point of a stretch to insinuate, The Beatles created hip-hop.
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/23 15:26:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby marled 2018/09/23 16:27:52
BenMMusTech
because hip-hop and rap appropriated what the historical avant-garde or white dudes created. It was The Beatles who then facilitated the popularization of the loop and other important sonic and visual techniques used across cultural production today.

Actually, if anything I feel it was the opposite. Up until the Beatles, drummers pretty much played standard well known beats, almost like the selection you'd find in a drum machine.

Ringo was one of the first drummers who "played" to the song, changing what he played to suit the various parts of the song.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
michael diemer
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/23 18:53:30 (permalink)
BenMMusTech

My point to all this...if havent been able to decipher my long and verbose missive :) is...embrace all ideas in regards to sound and vision production...but never call yourself a musician unless you play an instrument or indeed read and write music. If you're an errant button pusher...you are nothing more than a child in kindergarten playing with coloured blocks! One of your tracks - someone like me could replicate in a day and day in and day out. We need to encourage people who want to make music to embrace music literacy to get the best of of the amazing tech available to each and everyone of in the contemporary era. We need to embrace the new digital theory paradigm, which some still resist because of a misunderstanding of the medium and because it was 'how we did in analog' and worse 'their ideas are based on digital audio theory' that are now 20 and even worse 40 years old. PCM was invented in the 1930s and the first digital recording was made in the late 70s. If we don't - then the continued decline in music but not just music will continue to decline in quality, learning to less innovation. Of course I accept some may still enjoy the children's music of today. But to me...music is still a high order language - capable of communicating the full range of human emotion and to be able to express these emotions even if you can't speak the native tounge of the listener.

Peace and Love

Thank you for having the courage to speak the truth, in an age when most are falling all over themselves not to offend somebody, and - horror of horrors - get banned from a forum. 

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

jb101
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/23 21:54:42 (permalink)
pwalpwal
jb101
BenMMusTech

Really?

Well, five bar phrases are not the norm..

Sonar Platinum
BenMMusTech
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/24 04:38:07 (permalink)
jb101
pwalpwal
jb101
BenMMusTech

Really?

Well, five bar phrases are not the norm..

Lol...in my music yes. But mea culpa...it should have been 3 bars of time and 1 fill. I don't really do genre type music, and can get some ideas confused...my brain hurts like a warehouse, I had no room to spare :) db by the way and 5 years.

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
BenMMusTech
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/24 04:57:05 (permalink)
SimpleManZ
I think it is a breaking point of a stretch to insinuate, The Beatles created hip-hop.

No I never said this, I said the historical avant-gardes come up with the techniques, the rock avant-gardes popularize these techniques and hip hop and rap then use these techniques to create said genres. Without either the historical avant-garde and rock avant-garde - there probably wouldn't be both rap and hip hop...God I wish there wasn't! Lol...but it's pretty hard to argue that Kunteye ;) (gesamtkunstwek...Kunteye is German for Kanye lol) West, who is a dim as cardboard could come up with a theory on anything...let alone sampling. And no flogging overpriced junk to people marketed as fashion doesn't make you clever.

So I never said that The Beatles invented hip hop, I said that hip hop and rap appropriated ideas from both movements of the avant-gardes to piss of the idiot's of this world and their cultural control mechanisms. It's very odd how a group of men, and I use the term lightly - seem to have jumped aboard the PC control ship, when in many ways the PC control ship are destroying what it means to be a man...I digress. Finally, whilst The Beatles didn't invent hip hop and rap...listen to I Am The Walrus, and Give Peace a Chance and most of Dylan's early stuff and we do have hints of rap and hip hop...this is the spoken word style of both said genres. I believe this style of spoken word lyric style has its roots with the beat poet movement...Kerouac and Ginsberg. I've actually been thinking of creating a hip hop style version of Give Peace a Chance to demonstrate the links. I've got so many projects on the boil, and I'm in 3d render hell at the moment with my 3d animation for Sonata 4a, that I haven't had a chance. I'm almost 3 mins into 3d animation, only 5 mins more...or another month of 24/7 rendering lol. It will be worth it though...I now not only have Abbey Road on my laptop, I also have a full suite of Hollywood sfxs too. I am Hollywood, Abbey Road and Beethoven :).

At least when Dylan and Lennon do spoken word type songs they sing and are in tune too by the way lol.

Peace and love

BenMMusTech
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/24 05:00:31 (permalink)
michael diemer
BenMMusTech

Peace and Love

Thank you for having the courage to speak the truth, in an age when most are falling all over themselves not to offend somebody, and - horror of horrors - get banned from a forum. 

I do, and it is lonely...but someone has too! When you've been given great power, then you have the responsibility too...as uncle ben from spiderman would say lol. It's because I stand up for these inalienable truths, versus relative truths ;)) that I've been exiled from the uni system here in Oz. They won't let me finish my phd.

Ben

michael diemer
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/24 21:33:04 (permalink)
BenMMusTech
michael diemer
BenMMusTech

Peace and Love

I do, and it is lonely...but someone has too! When you've been given great power, then you have the responsibility too...as uncle ben from spiderman would say lol. It's because I stand up for these inalienable truths, versus relative truths ;)) that I've been exiled from the uni system here in Oz. They won't let me finish my phd.

Ben

Their loss, I'm sure. Besides, those fancy high-falootin' degrees ain't what they used to be. Anyone can get one these days, for "important" studies that would have made serious students laugh just a generation ago.

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

Audioicon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 349
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/24 21:57:03 (permalink)
vladasyn
I would be happy if it fills song with drums for me. 

There is a difference between tools that streamline or make the process easier, vs tools that do the work for you.

But I am thinking maybe we should have these mind reading machines, they read your thoughts and develop a melody. 

Hang on, the producer is pissed, "I am going to develop an angry song based on Drowning Pool's Let the Body Hit The Floor." - AI/Machine!!

Checkout my new song: Playing on YouTube: EUPHORIA.
royarn
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 427
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/25 09:25:11 (permalink)
So old hat, this was all done in Star Trek years ago.👂🏻

INTEL HASWELL Core i5 4670K Z87-K MB, 16 gig DDR3 ram, 250 gig ssd 1 x 250 gig 1 x 1TB sata 2 drives,Faderport 1, Motif ES 6, Focusrite 8i6. Windows 10 64 bit. Sonar Platinum Lifetime Updates.CbB .
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/25 20:00:54 (permalink)
BenMMusTech
...but never call yourself a musician unless you play an instrument or indeed read and write music. If you're an errant button pusher...

. Of course I accept some may still enjoy the children's music of today. But to me...music is still a high order language - capable of communicating the full range of human emotion and to be able to express these emotions even if you can't speak the native tounge of the listener.

Peace and Love

If you look up the definition of a "Musician" it does not necessitate playing a physical instrument, it can refer to someone with muscial abilty.  There are "button pushers" with musical ability.  

Many people don't need an academic approach to convey the emotion.  Reading and writing music is not required at all for many great musicians.  

In addition to that, people can compose music in a DAW without the ability to play a physical instrument.  How is soemone writing notes on a sheet of paper that much different than pencling in blocks in a PRV?  Neither necesitate having an "instrument" in hand if you have the right skill set.  Both of these are completly foreign composition concepts to me, but I've seen it done by others.  

The method "button pusher" vs "string hitter" quite frankly is irrelevant as long as the intended emotion is conveyed.  I haven't met many button pushers that move me emotionally, most string hitters don't either for that matter, but I'm not going to deny that there are those that can.  

Many extremely accomplished musicians can't read or write music in the traditional sense.  
Anderton
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/26 03:03:59 (permalink)
Brian Walton
The method "button pusher" vs "string hitter" quite frankly is irrelevant as long as the intended emotion is conveyed.

Agreed. As I've often said at seminars, all that matters is the emotional impact of the music. No one cares how you accomplished that emotional impact, as long as they're moved by it. This doesn't mean there can't be a cerebral component to music, of course, but that's one component...not a totality.

BenMMusTech
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/26 03:08:13 (permalink)
Brian Walton
BenMMusTech
...but never call yourself a musician unless you play an instrument or indeed read and write music. If you're an errant button pusher...

. Of course I accept some may still enjoy the children's music of today. But to me...music is still a high order language - capable of communicating the full range of human emotion and to be able to express these emotions even if you can't speak the native tounge of the listener.

Peace and Love

If you look up the definition of a "Musician" it does not necessitate playing a physical instrument, it can refer to someone with muscial abilty.  There are "button pushers" with musical ability.  

Many people don't need an academic approach to convey the emotion.  Reading and writing music is not required at all for many great musicians.  

In addition to that, people can compose music in a DAW without the ability to play a physical instrument.  How is soemone writing notes on a sheet of paper that much different than pencling in blocks in a PRV?  Neither necesitate having an "instrument" in hand if you have the right skill set.  Both of these are completly foreign composition concepts to me, but I've seen it done by others.  

The method "button pusher" vs "string hitter" quite frankly is irrelevant as long as the intended emotion is conveyed.  I haven't met many button pushers that move me emotionally, most string hitters don't either for that matter, but I'm not going to deny that there are those that can.  

Many extremely accomplished musicians can't read or write music in the traditional sense.  

Let me clarify for you, some of the issues you've raised in the above post. I had to look up the word musician, to check what you said in reference to this point...my ego is not so large that I can't admit I don't know everything :). You are right, in regards to the definition of the word musician, but I would hazard a guess this is the contemporary definition and not the historical one...semantics though I know. But in all fairness, you are right - a musician only needs musical talent to be classified as such. And indeed, it's taken 32 years to reach the level of musicianship I now have. I was 10 years old, when I taught myself the basic rudiments of sight reading and the recorder...true story, perhaps indicating I was a prodigy. I come from pondscum - so the only way to foster my musical ability was through my own force of will :). And a composer and a musician are by definition two completely different things. A composer doesn't necessarily have to be a good musician and a great musician isn't necessarily a great composer.

I think you're confusing academic and musical literacy and or theory though. Again, through my own sheer force of will and extreme autodidacticism...I've learnt the academic side of both musicianship and composition. It's somewhat the problem, in the stand- off between myself and the conservatoriums of Oz. They insist on the 123 way of learning and I can skip learn :), and indeed it is impossible for me to learn the rote 123 way. But I digress, yes great composers and songwriters - because composition and songwriting are different sides to the same coin, but both disciplines contain great non trained exponents of the art and craft of composition. What I was trying to emphasize though is the lack of music literacy as the problem within contemporary music...and this is the problem. Music literacy isn't just music theory though, its historical and cultural context, it's also mastery of the technological eco-system, which in itself is a type of musical instrument. Without a little from colum a and a little from b and c - the quality of music as a first order language or a language that transcends language is diluted. And worse, which was more my point...it means that the cog that was driving music innovation, composition challanges contemporary music technology, meaning better music technology, which then challenges composers and musicians alike to become better musicians and indeed write better compositions. Think about Mozart and Beethoven, Beethoven in particular re-writes the classical music 'rulebook'. He gets the pianoforte introduced, because of moonlight sonata, he doubles the size of the orchestra for the 5th and adds voice in the 9th...the first time a symphonic work featured vocals. This leads to bigger concert halls, and the late romantic period composers to push their ideas about what composition should be and indeed music instrument technology. In the contemporary historical era, The Beatles do the same thing. They introduce feedback to analog recording art, which inspires them to explore the avant-gardes sonic artists, they introduce these artistic sonic techniques into the popular musical lexicon - leading to the next wave of great musicians and composers...leading to better sonics. First they had 4 track, then 8 and then 24. First they have a Redd tube console with a rudimentary EQ, then the TG12345 solid state with EQ and compressor and finally the SSL solid state which is perhaps the ultimate large format recording console. Without The Beatles...Hendrix could not have spent months in the studio composing, Pink Floyd too and then of course Queen who are perhaps the closest to The Beatles in regards to their use of the studio. So hopefully you see my point, without composers and musicians challenging the limits of music technology through composition - music innovation can become stagnant. And we're seeing some of this now - music is mostly dross turned out by errant button pushers, more interested in style than substance. So whilst I agree with you, that yes you don't need all my tricks to be a great composer or musician, and I'm not saying that I'm great or anything like that :), but without them and without someone promoting these tricks where is music innovation going to come from? It's the healthy composition amongst masters, that's missing from this current cycle.

Finally, the difference between using midi and a notion instrument such as Notion by Presonus is the ability to easily dial in the feel of a musician, but that's not all...you need to be able to understand the feel of a musician to 'fake' it. Rather than guessing, and I suspect most button pushers don't even change the velocity of each midi note or phrase from the standard 100, but rather than guessing the velocity or humanize feel with a midi effect or by hand...I can use proper musical literacy and theory to do so. This also helps expand the compositional language avaliable to the composer and indeed increases the range of emotion a composer can convey. So a gentle motif at the beginning can be set using the dynamic marker of piano, which leads to a sudden and dramatic point in the composition...let's say forte or double forte. To create the build up, you use a crescendo marker. I then could use the swing 8th humanize slider to gently pull the piano timing back just off the groove. The drums could be dead set, and the bass just in front. I can also add ghost and grace notes to further add to the realness of musical phrase. And then gently bring all back down to a piano dynamic and bang everything back on the beat. This is what an aware composer should be able to do, and again its something we should be encouraging any aspiring musician or composer to do...not push a button that has no correlation with the emotion a composer or musician is trying to convey. Yes, you can do similar things with midi...but it's harder to control, harder to learn the fine nuanced control of the composer in regards to expressing the emotion of the composer and indeed it makes it easier to leave the velocity at 100 and timing flat. Worse, though - it creates a false sense of belief that if you push a button you're a musician. Even if you have only opened Garageband for the very first time. I'd prefer these types to call themselves entertainers perhaps, I'm a snob though, 32 years of researching and composing music does that to you.

We all need to challenge cultural producers is my point - because the technology avaliable to almost anyone provides limitless permutations of cultural product. For example, I'm writing a modern take on the symphonic form, I would even use the phrase strum und drang...german again ;), to describe sonata no.4a, and it is written with modern instruments...808 kicks, synths guitars etc and with strings and brass and I'm combining this with 3d animation to create a gesamtkunstwerk;) art form. This is me pushing the limits of modern computing power, along with my knowledge as a way to push the boundaries. If we survey mass music culture, and in many ways that's all there is...its the same old paradigm of the 80s. A button pusher or one of the few guitar bands left, write a song, record it in a studio...someone from the art department and moving image department then create a video clip - either using the classical idea of the gods or perfection or surrealism...think the world of dreams. I'm saying...we can return to the romantic idea of the genius alone doing it in service of the art. An idea that gave birth to modernism and the age of enlightenment. Romanticism isn't perfect, but it's better than the beta boys of postmodernism who prefer the communism form of cultural production...art in service of lecturing people or the neo-techo-classiscm of perfection and the gods...Beyonce anyone.

Hopefully I've answered your question...yes I know I'm teriably verbose lol.

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: AI in DAW: Logic Pro's new update will detect and mark tempo 2018/09/26 03:19:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jb101 2018/09/26 23:49:08
BenMMusTech
Hopefully I've answered your question.

There was no question in Brian's post.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1