My humble attempt of making music for a game

Author
ØSkald
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1248
2018/09/22 17:50:02 (permalink)

My humble attempt of making music for a game

The son of a friend was making a game this winter and asked me to help with music for it. He is 13 but did work a lot to on it, so I made this here.

I was thinking of having a story teller voice on the intro theme to introduce people to the game story, and just cut of after the main theme. But this was kind of demo, to show of other themes to use in the game too.

But the boys never finished the game. I could be angry they didn’t, but I made this music. And I learned a lesson or 100. I also had that in mind that they might do that.

Reason I opened the project now, was to test the new Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol software. I still have trouble rendering when no tracks are freezed.

All Native Instruments Komplete 11. Here are the synths I use:
1, Evolve Mutations – Pad.
2-5, Action Strikes – Drums.
6-11, Symphony Essentials – Orchestral.
12, The Grandeur – Piano.
13, Form – Pad.
14, Massive – Pad.
15-16, Polyplex - Drums/perk.
17-19, Scarbee Jay-Bass – Bass.
20-21, Mutations 2 - Sound effects.
22, FM8 - Synth guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/oy...pill-musikk-13/s-U0W49

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro

6 Replies Related Threads

ØSkald
    Re: My humble attempt of making music for a game 2018/09/22 18:03:23 (permalink)
    Lol. Cant delet this now. it was supposed to be posted in the song section. I had that open but something might have gone wrong in my head as always. Lol.

Asus TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, Bugera Trirec Infinium, Cakewalk Platinum, Corsair RM750 750W, Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB, Genelec 6010A with 5040A sub, Ibanez AEG10II BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E BK, Ibanez Iron Label RGIR28FE BK, Ibanez RG550 RF, Ibanez RG570 FMCS, Ibanez SR506 BM, Intel Core i7 8700K, USB, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate with Kontrol S61, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, Samsung SSDs 840 EVO 1TB, Toontrack EZdrummer 2, Toontrack EZMix 2, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, UA Apollo Twin Duo, Windows 10 Pro
    Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: My humble attempt of making music for a game 2018/09/22 19:38:11 (permalink)
    See now? This is the kind of stuff that SuperMarioGamer guy keeps claiming he hears in his head. It moves well, evokes various emotions (I could see myself moving through a virtual fantasy game universe throughout) BUT is well and properly composed as well as produced.

I would not listen to this as a song (which was not your intent) but as a video game backdrop it is perfect. You nailed it.

I've always been interested in the production of music for video games. The way things loop and vary as the player moves throughout the game and how that's triggered by the game coding. Very nerdy stuff.

Anyone here know about how that type of stuff is produced/coded? I'm actually very curious.

Nice work, Oyvind... as usual.
    ØSkald
    Re: My humble attempt of making music for a game 2018/09/22 21:41:22 (permalink)
    Beepster
    See now? This is the kind of stuff that SuperMarioGamer guy keeps claiming he hears in his head. It moves well, evokes various emotions (I could see myself moving through a virtual fantasy game universe throughout) BUT is well and properly composed as well as produced.

I would not listen to this as a song (which was not your intent) but as a video game backdrop it is perfect. You nailed it.

I've always been interested in the production of music for video games. The way things loop and vary as the player moves throughout the game and how that's triggered by the game coding. Very nerdy stuff.

Anyone here know about how that type of stuff is produced/coded? I'm actually very curious.

Thanks!
    Yeah. Coding and how to master, make the files flow and so on.

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: My humble attempt of making music for a game 2018/09/22 22:34:31 (permalink)
    Yep, I listened on headphones, glad I did. I'd make those drums pound a little louder/deeper, but then again, that might be my headphones.

I'm no gamer but I wouldn't mind listening to this. It evokes "The Gate to the Mind's Eye" by Professor Dolby.

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    ØSkald
    Re: My humble attempt of making music for a game 2018/09/22 22:39:06 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul
    Yep, I listened on headphones, glad I did. I'd make those drums pound a little louder/deeper, but then again, that might be my headphones.

I'm no gamer but I wouldn't mind listening to this. It evokes "The Gate to the Mind's Eye" by Professor Dolby.

cheers,
    -Tom

Thanks.

ØSkald
    Re: My humble attempt of making music for a game 2018/09/23 10:49:02 (permalink)
    Beepster

I was planning on making every music files one bar longer than the end so the reverb and echo could ring out, and it would be "easy" to program it to start the new file on the end mark, and not the end of the file. 

Making some variations of the music I have in there. Some with all instruments and some with just a some. Like just pad and one more instrument. another with just drums and bass...

And I guess the music has to be ether lover than CD master, or that the game engine lover it, because gamers has to hear other players over team speak. And that is other apps, so the game cant auto lover volume for a call without code some heavy stuff inn windows core, i guess. But i might me wrong there.

I dont think there is much money in it for me. I work to slow to earn a living of works like this. I dont even know how much to ask for, if i was to make all those music files, sound effects, and even voices in the game. It is a lott of work. But all these games have smal budget. My friends son had no budget at all. Lol

But it is fun to make. You have to look up other types of sound you dont use in pop/rock/blues/metal/classical/country/western/and the rest of normal music.

Do you guys have anyone you look up to in film/games music? Film is a trick question, because "singing in the rain" isn't this category. Lol

Mine is Christopher Franke. But he is niche composer. But most people making music for top films, series and games are amazing.
    post edited by ØSkald - 2018/09/24 10:15:20

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1