So, new Win 10 Pro machine and fresh install of Sonar Platinum and CW Bandlab, BUT?

Author
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
2018/09/26 02:20:46 (permalink)

So, new Win 10 Pro machine and fresh install of Sonar Platinum and CW Bandlab, BUT?

Well I always have known that different AI's have different converters, components, etc, etc. Not saying I truly understand it all, but OK. Personally I only have experience with 3, and that covers decades. Had my M audio AP2497  (2 linked together) for ages, actually still have those in a box!
Then about , oh, 10 years ago? Really not sure, I bought the Echo Layla 3G and have loved it since then. But As I posted already my new Asus Z370 Prima A MB has NO PCI slot. I have ordered the adapter that Stickman talks about and uses and Scook let me know about. Should have it tomorrow.
I did buy Roland Octa-capture about 4 years ago but never used it. I bought it for playing out with my laptop, one man band type stuff. But never did.

Anyway, the sound is like night and day with the Echo Layla 3G and the Octacapture. The octa capture sounds like a toy compared to the Echo......
I mean everything. But it was really easy to tell when I played my Fractal Axe FX thru it. Terrible. well, maybe not terrible, but comparatively speaking it sucked. That was just straight in and out. I use the analog outs of the Fractal stuff, always have.

So that's my story. If the adapter does not work for me with the Echo I will have to buy something better.

In defense of the Octa-capture, it is feature rich and can even be used as a mixer and plenty more. But, imho, they saved $$$ on the converters..................

4 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: So, new Win 10 Pro machine and fresh install of Sonar Platinum and CW Bandlab, BUT? 2018/09/26 10:50:37 (permalink)
    I don't have or never heard the Echo Layla but I had an Octa-Capture and it served me well for a few years.  I upgraded to the Octa-Capture from a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (which is a popular unit) and the difference in preamps was like going from an old cheap Hi-Fi to a full frequency response amp.  The Octa-Capture was replaced, due to hardware problems, with my now MOTU unit, which gets high marks.  I "hear" the same full frequency response from the MOTU that I did with the Octa-Capture.  I tried several other recording interfaces before buying the MOTU and they all had about the same response as the MOTU or Octa-Capture.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    stratman70
    Re: So, new Win 10 Pro machine and fresh install of Sonar Platinum and CW Bandlab, BUT? 2018/09/26 15:24:57 (permalink)
    I don't use the preamps in the octa-capture. I have a warm12 mic pre and a tube mic. I do remember before I bought the the echo Layla 3G the talk about their drivers and components was much like the  RME talk of today.
    I definitely hear a difference. But hey, I'm old so what do I know.

Just not happy with it. I'll get over it.
    Thanks for the response

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: So, new Win 10 Pro machine and fresh install of Sonar Platinum and CW Bandlab, BUT? 2018/09/26 15:42:01 (permalink)
    Probably not as old as me.  I'm pushing 81 (December).  Still playing regular weekly gigs in a band and still going with my home recording studio.  I'm working on some songs for a "retired" Nashville songwriter and producer now.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    stratman70
    Re: So, new Win 10 Pro machine and fresh install of Sonar Platinum and CW Bandlab, BUT? 2018/09/26 16:46:48 (permalink)
    Hey-God bless you man. I hope I am doing the same if I get that far. In my late sixties..............
    Delivery of the adapter so I can put my echo Layla 3G back in my new PC is out for delivery today!

I imagine I just am used to the echo and the Octa capture is OM. But I will be happier going back to echo.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1