Bounce Down Tracks To Audio

Author
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
2018/09/28 15:37:56 (permalink)

Bounce Down Tracks To Audio

Just out of curiosity, I was checking out the OBEDIA video (YouTube) on bouncing down tracks in CbB to an audio file and he says all you have to do is choose Export Audio from the File menu and designate what kind of file you want (MP3, wav etc) and designate where you want it.  If I do that I get an error saying something like "You didn't choose any channel(s) to bounce down".  This isn't a problem, but I'm just curious.  What I have to do is select (highlight) the tracks I want bounced before I go to File and Export.  If I'm just bouncing the whole project I use the old Windows command for Select All, which is Control+A, then File-Export.  I've also been told that all I should have to do (for the whole project) is highlight the Master Buss, then File-Export.  If I do this I get the same error message as above.  What gives here?  Is the OBEDIA guy skipping a step or is there an anomaly in MY setup?

Thanks!
John B

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007

14 Replies Related Threads

Glenville
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re: Bounce Down Tracks To Audio 2018/09/28 15:55:51 (permalink)
    • JohnB,
    All you have to do is select control all then export the file format of your choice eg wave or mp3 etc.  You can export an entire mix, tracks or clips by selecting the same in the drop down menu. If you don't select all the message will be generated and you won't be able to export.

Glenville

Cakewalk by Bandlab,Sonar Platinum, 16 gigs ram, I7 core processor, Sweetwater creation station rack xt,focusrite saffire liguid56, Cakewalk VS700 console, Focusrite Octopre MKII Dynamic,Mackie HR824Mk2,JBL Powered Sub
    Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    Re: Bounce Down Tracks To Audio 2018/09/28 16:05:51 (permalink)
    Often I simply need to click in any empty space of clip view area and it will auto select all when I expirt.

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: Bounce Down Tracks To Audio 2018/09/28 16:07:29 (permalink)
    A long time ago I was told to always use "Select none" before exporting. This has always worked for me 100%. If I miss that step I then might get that warning you got. 
    Now that said, "Select all" should always work too. I cannot remember the reason for using select none but because it always works that is what I do.

My routine for a perfect export is:
    Open the console view playing the song. 
    Solo each buss to check all is working. 
    I then mute the master to make sure all busses are running through it. 
    I go to EDIT- Select none ( you can use the keyboard short cut too) 
    File- Save
    File export audio
    I use what ever the default setting are but will change the bit rate to 16 most times.
    I have my file preferances set to open to the location I store my Masters.  

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Bounce Down Tracks To Audio 2018/09/29 06:57:29 (permalink)
    I 've never selected anything when exporting the whole mix. Just routed everything to Master Bus and picked Master as the export source. But I'm on old version, so maybe something has changed?

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Johnbee58
    Re: Bounce Down Tracks To Audio 2018/09/29 18:50:42 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    I 've never selected anything when exporting the whole mix. Just routed everything to Master Bus and picked Master as the export source. But I'm on old version, so maybe something has changed?

Isn't every channel routed to the master buss by default?
    If so, I wonder why that doesnt't work for me.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
    NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
    mrpippy2
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 222
    Re: Bounce Down Tracks To Audio 2018/09/30 02:09:32 (permalink)
    I also always use Select None before exporting. No idea why that particular command works, but I’ve never had any issues with my exports.

Sweetwater Creation Station 250, QuadCore, i5 3.4 Ghz, 2x1TB HD, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Focusrite 2i2
    JDNelson
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: Bounce Down Tracks To Audio 2018/10/01 01:09:25 (permalink)
    I've had that "no audio selected" thing pop up.  It's a bug of sorts.  Has to do with where your cursor is.  Or something.

The bakers should look into this. 
    Johnbee58
    Re: Bounce Down Tracks To Audio 2018/10/01 02:27:22 (permalink)
    JDNelson
    I've had that "no audio selected" thing pop up.  It's a bug of sorts.  Has to do with where your cursor is.  Or something.

The bakers should look into this. 

For me, this goes back to Sonar X3 Studio.  It's not new to CbB, so I don't know if the bakers can do anything about it.  It's obviously been a bug since at least X3.

JB

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Bounce Down Tracks To Audio 2018/10/01 02:51:18 (permalink)
    The "no audio selected" message happens when a selection is made which contains no tracks capable of rendering audio. IOW a selection of MIDI tracks or clips in MIDI tracks. At least that is how I have managed to get the message.

When no tracks are selected, all tracks are rendered to the last bit of data and exported subject to the export preferences. Note this may fail if the project is all MIDI and does not use soft synths because there is nothing to render in the host (IOW, no audio selected).

When audio, instrument or related audio+midi tracks are selected (note all cases of tracks capable of generating audio), those tracks are rendered and exported subject to the export preferences.

If one can generate a series of steps where selecting tracks that can generate audio causes the "no audio selected" error on export submit it to support so they may review the procedure.
    Hatstand
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 597
    Re: Bounce Down Tracks To Audio 2018/10/01 09:30:04 (permalink)
    The select none choice is good for ensuring that you haven't already got something selected prior to trying to export. It just clears the slate as sometimes there is something still selected that is out of view.

Sonar Platinum - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - AMD FX 8150 processor - 16Gb RAM - 27" Monitor (it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it)
    Johnbee58
    Re: Bounce Down Tracks To Audio 2018/10/01 15:34:23 (permalink)
    scook
    The "no audio selected" message happens when a selection is made which contains no tracks capable of rendering audio. IOW a selection of MIDI tracks or clips in MIDI tracks. At least that is how I have managed to get the message.

When no tracks are selected, all tracks are rendered to the last bit of data and exported subject to the export preferences. Note this may fail if the project is all MIDI and does not use soft synths because there is nothing to render in the host (IOW, no audio selected).

When audio, instrument or related audio+midi tracks are selected (note all cases of tracks capable of generating audio), those tracks are rendered and exported subject to the export preferences.

If one can generate a series of steps where selecting tracks that can generate audio causes the "no audio selected" error on export submit it to support so they may review the procedure.

So, there's an Export Preference?  I'll have to check that out.

JB

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Bounce Down Tracks To Audio 2018/10/01 15:38:45 (permalink)
    They are the settings in the export dialog.
    sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: Bounce Down Tracks To Audio 2018/10/01 17:20:46 (permalink)
    The default output of tracks depends on the template you started the project with.
    If you make a template with everything routed the way you like it all will be fine, But--

I often start projects by OPENING a MIDI file. There will be no Master or other busses. Just midi tracks and the TTS-1 is the only audio track. This will default to outputting to my Audio interface 1/2.  
    So unless I insert a master buss and point all the audio tracks to it, the default output will be my audio interface 1/2 output. 
    I find that I then will insert better VST's like AD2 using a track template I saved and this will also insert a Master and a sub buss if they were part of that save. That VST will be set to the Master automatically. 
    But If I insert a VST instrument direct from the synth rack it will default to the AI 1/2 output and bypass the master. You have to set the Master as the default etc. 
    Therefore I always mute the master buss to check that all audio is flowing through it. 

And as said above using "Select None" seems to always work as it clears any highlighted clips or tracks you might have been focused on before you exported. If that was a midi clip the error message will pop up. The export then gathers everything audio and uses it.  
    I have used this since Sonar 6 and has always worked. 
    It is not a bug that the message appears. It's just how it works. I do believe using "Select All" will also work but there was a reason I was told 12 years ago that I should use `select none so don't ask me why I forget. 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Bounce Down Tracks To Audio 2018/10/01 21:10:13 (permalink)
    Select None in preference to Select All for the simple reason that in the past, for me at any rate, Select All did NOT 'Select All' and certain tracks were missed from the export

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1