Author
schnibbelkram
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 65
2018/09/30 15:20:02 (permalink)

Midi porblems with hardware

Hey guys,
i have problems recording a midi signal when i :
-connect a Sound module to my Midi keyboard (Roland UR 220)
-connect my M-Audio Venom Synth via USB to my PC
In both situations i can record an audio signal to an audio track without any problems,but when i open a miditrack an try to record the midi notes i play , nothing happens. I`ve played with the "midi in" and so on, but no matter what i`ve tried, i cannot record the midi signal.
Simular problem with VSTi`s. When i just open up a new instrument, it records midi. When i open an audio and a midi track, it does not record midi to the midi track.

schnibbelkram
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/05 14:37:44 (permalink)
Nobody there to help ? Need more infos?  Win7 64bit, Cakewalk by Bandlab , Steinberg UR 22 Interface, Arturia Keylab Essential Midi keyboard...
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/05 15:08:49 (permalink)
Sorry man, but for me it is unclear what you try to do. May be I am not alone and so you get no replies

In general, to record MIDI:
* you need it getting into computer. All devices should be connected before you start CbB and in case you want dis/re-connect something, exit CbB first (you can hit quite some bugs otherwise)
* enable required MIDI input in CbB preferences. Notice MIDI icon in the Windows system tray. When you press keys on MIDI keyboard your should see the left "led" blinking on it. If you do not have it blinking: exit CbB, locate "%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\TTSSEQ.INI" and delete it. Start CbB and enable MIDI input device again.
* check you do not have anything in "Control Surfaces" section (temporarily clean it in case you need it in general). Also check "MIDI/Playback and Recording", "Notes", "Controller", "Pitch wheel" should be checked (enabled) there
* record arm a MIDI track, set its input to "All" or device in question, start recording and press some keys. You will get no sound, but clip should record noted. Check the result in the Piano roll

If you can record now:
* to used hardware synth, enable it as MIDI output and set MIDI track output to it. Enable "Echo" on the track.
* for VSTi, create "Simple instrument track" (in the dialog after you insert the synth), enable "Echo", check input. Note that without that dialog it is easy to create "disconnected" tracks/synthes (handy in some cases).

Also note that some devices which have USB and MIDI do not output MIDI throw MIDI connector in case USB is active.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/05 16:30:38 (permalink)
i have problems recording a midi signal when i :
-connect a Sound module to my Midi keyboard (Roland UR 220)

This sentence implies you are triggering a Midi sound module from a midi keyboard directly?
You need to tell us the midi signal path to make this clear.

-connect my M-Audio Venom Synth via USB to my PC

This sentence implies you are using a USB midi connection to your PC so therefore the midi signal will need to pass through software to reach your Sound module.

As Azslow has said to make this work you need to do a few things and make the correct settings in your software. Follow what he said and see if that helps
I have a tutorial on setting up Cakewalk for midi might help you understand the basics see sig

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

schnibbelkram
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/05 22:27:09 (permalink)
Ok,getting a signal now. But when i set input to "All" it will also record the midi from the other tracks in the project.
The recorded midi does stil not "go back" to the Midi keyboard/sound module. The midi out of my midi keyboard is connected to the midi in of the Roland U220 Sound module. The Midi keyboard is connected via USB to my PC. I`m not using the Venom Synth with the Sound Module, but by itself/seperate. It is connected to the PC via USB. Where can i find your video?
JoseC.
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/06 13:45:49 (permalink)
You need to set the midi devices properly in the Preferences menu, then make sure that the midi track output is set to the right hardware device, and if you set input to "All", make sure that no other VST instrument is sending midi out. Or set input just to the controller you are using. Easy Peasy.
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/06 14:17:06 (permalink)
schnibbelkram
Ok,getting a signal now. But when i set input to "All" it will also record the midi from the other tracks in the project.
The recorded midi does stil not "go back" to the Midi keyboard/sound module. The midi out of my midi keyboard is connected to the midi in of the Roland U220 Sound module. The Midi keyboard is connected via USB to my PC. I`m not using the Venom Synth with the Sound Module, but by itself/seperate. It is connected to the PC via USB. Where can i find your video?

What you've described here will do the following:
  • The midi keyboard will play the Roland U220 via the MIDI OUT
  • The midi keyboard will go to the PC via USB

So the question is, where is the MIDI OUT connection from the PC to the MIDI IN of the Roland U220? 

Does your Midi keyboard have a merge function that will take a MIDI IN signal from it's USB interface and route it to the U220 via the MIDI OUT? 

If it doesn't then that's your problem.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
schnibbelkram
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/06 15:39:28 (permalink)
But then why would there be the same problem with the Venom Synth ?
schnibbelkram
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/10 08:37:38 (permalink)
My Midi Keyboard is listet (and checked) under midi ouputs, so that doesn`t seem to be the problem...
schnibbelkram
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/10 17:24:52 (permalink)
Ok, The M Audio Venom works now, but i dont no what i did different than the last time i pluged it in to my PC. Maybe i had the programer runnig while runnig Sonar at the same time...
But stil no solution for the Roland U220 .... :-(
Cactus Music
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/10 19:49:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2018/10/10 19:52:39
Myself I would not be having the keyboard controller feeding the Sound module directly. This will confuse things.

You run your controller through the computer and back out to the module.
The way you have it set up ( as Mark has pointed out) is there is no midi coming from the Computer to the Roland sound module.
There is no need for a midi output from the Sound module as that will cause the loopback you are experiencing.

It's simple

Keyboard controller via USB to computer/Omni/ midi tack input echo on/ track output to MIDI out of interface. This goes to the sound modules, audio output of sound modules to audio interface to be recorded as audio.

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/10 19:55:41 (permalink)
Cactus Music
There is no need for a midi output from the Sound module as that will cause the loopback you are experiencing.

Just to add, the time a MIDI output from a module/synth back to the DAW is needed is when the synth has controls that send MIDI CCs and you want to record the MIDI generated by controller movements - e.g. filter sweeps, envelope changes etc. - into the DAW as MIDI envelopes so the synth will follow them.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
schnibbelkram
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/10 21:45:17 (permalink)
But there is no midi out from the sound module to the PC or to the midi keyboard. The midi out of the Midi keyboard goes to the midi in of the Sound module,that`s it. The mdid keyboard is conected via USB to the PC.
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/10 22:46:03 (permalink)
schnibbelkram
But there is no midi out from the sound module to the PC or to the midi keyboard. The midi out of the Midi keyboard goes to the midi in of the Sound module,that`s it. The mdid keyboard is conected via USB to the PC.

According to the M-Audio Venom manual, the Venom USB driver should present the following MIDI output devices to Cakewalk:
  • Venom Synth Out—system MIDI plays back using the Venom synthesizer.
  • Venom MIDI Out—system MIDI plays back through the Venom MIDI Out port.

Selecting the Venom MIDI Out device within Cakewalk should therefore send MIDI data to your Roland U220.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
sock monkey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/11 02:33:57 (permalink)
I just read this and was totally lost but I think I understand correctly that the OP does not have a MIDI interface or midi ports on a Audio interface so is using the M audio controller for that. Everything goes in and out of Sonar Via the USB cable to the Venom. So Mark has read the manual for the OP and solved the issue, good one. 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

schnibbelkram
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/11 20:18:08 (permalink)
Well not really, because i dont use the Venom with the Roland U220, but an Arturia Keylab essential Midi Keyboard, i wrote that in my first post. Most of the time i use my midi keyboard, i rarely plug in the venom. Thank you for the effort anyway, Mark. I do have a Steinberg UR22 Interface (wich has Midi ports), i wrote that in my second post. Im also confused now . How would i play the Roland if the midi in comes from the interface and not from the midi keyboard ? I would have to play the midi into Sonar first  and than let Sonar "playback" the notes into the Roland?
Wouldn`t be a good solution for me :-(
Cactus Music
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/12 19:44:48 (permalink)
Well you did mention those items in your second post but I just read everything again and it is still not clear how you are hooking this all up. At this point we will assume you have as I described in Post #11.  

You still must not have one little item in the midi signal path correct. 
This may be either the input echo, track output settings, midi devices in preferances etc.

My Tutorial is in my signature ( as I said in #4,  see sig ) 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

JoseC.
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/14 20:32:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby schnibbelkram 2018/10/29 14:54:46
schnibbelkram
Well not really, because i dont use the Venom with the Roland U220, but an Arturia Keylab essential Midi Keyboard, i wrote that in my first post. Most of the time i use my midi keyboard, i rarely plug in the venom. Thank you for the effort anyway, Mark. I do have a Steinberg UR22 Interface (wich has Midi ports), i wrote that in my second post. Im also confused now . How would i play the Roland if the midi in comes from the interface and not from the midi keyboard ? I would have to play the midi into Sonar first  and than let Sonar "playback" the notes into the Roland?
Wouldn`t be a good solution for me :-(

Why not? That is actually the correct solution, and the reason why, it seems to me, that you are not having your setup work. Bear in mind that when you play a hardware synth hooked to a sequencer, no matter if it is computer software or a stand alone unit, you play the synth's keyboard into a sequencer track, and the sequencer outputs the midi data back into the synth. Even when it is a synth with its own integrated keyboard that is the best way to set up. That is why all synths have a "local off" parameter that disengages the keyboard from the sound engine so the synth does not get triggered directly by its own keys, in order to avoid double notes.

If you want to be able to use the controller and module without the computer, and it is not convenient for you to change the cabling each time, you can either use a midi interface that can work as a stand alone patchbay, like the MOTU Midiexpress XT, or use a midi merge box that merges the midi out of the controller and the midi out of the computer into the midi in of the sound module. Anyway, I would advise that you stick with using Cakewalk as midi through.
schnibbelkram
Re: Midi porblems with hardware 2018/10/29 14:56:49 (permalink)
@joseC. : I tried it ,and it works fine !!! Could slap myself now, because the (easy) solution was right in front of me all the time... Thanks to all of you guys for trying to help !
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1