New Song - Wait a Minute

Author
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
2018/10/05 17:32:13 (permalink)

New Song - Wait a Minute

Inspired by the constant "Amp Sims vs. Real Amps" threads, I decided to play around with Guitar Rig a bit. I never use amp sims, and only have this because it came with Komplete.

Anyway, I'm playing four guitars (2 Gibson tracks, a 12-String, and a Strat) plus bass, each through their own instance of Guitar Rig.

I didn't use any of the presets in Guitar Rig and instead built my own from scratch. To add to the limitations I was intentionally imposing on this project, I also played the drums from a midi keyboard, even though I have a real set mic'd up and ready to go.

Basically I wanted to see if using amp sims and keyboard drums would limit my creativity. I've always had the attitude that if you can hit, pick, or strum something and it makes noise, then it's fair game to make music with. Here's the end result of my experiment.

Recorded and mixed in Linux with REAPER.
I call it "Wait a Minute" at:

https://www.soundclick.co...er.cfm?songID=13790607

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

10 Replies Related Threads

Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: New Song - Wait a Minute 2018/10/06 14:12:50 (permalink)
    Sounded really cool to me. As Allan Holdsworth once said, "Solid state, digital, tube--who cares as long as you get the sound you want."

Nice tune brother, and you're as good a guitarist and bass player as you are a drummer. I can't believe those drums were played from a keyboard. I could never do that.

Bill
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: New Song - Wait a Minute 2018/10/07 02:18:57 (permalink)
    My favorite tone was the trebly spanky rhythm towards the left.

Nice groove. Got me into a Joe Walsh mood, he did some cool instrumental stuff.

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: New Song - Wait a Minute 2018/10/07 13:51:15 (permalink)
    Bloody hell, this is marvelous.
    What a great groove!
    Guitars and drums sound great - just think of the space you could save by getting rid of the kit and amps :)
    Re: New Song - Wait a Minute 2018/10/07 13:52:01 (permalink)
    Wayfarer
    Sounded really cool to me. As Allan Holdsworth once said, "Solid state, digital, tube--who cares as long as you get the sound you want."

Hehe, I once made a stage appearance with a pair of Nike shoes that I had installed piezo elements into, along with a Roland Octapad, which I held in one hand while hitting it with a single stick in the other. My feet were the kick and snare. I did it as a total joke when a friend had asked me to come out and sit in with his band. I only planned on doing one song, but they and the crowd loved the weirdness of it so much, they made me play a whole set with them like that.   ;)

Nice tune brother, and you're as good a guitarist and bass player as you are a drummer. I can't believe those drums were played from a keyboard. I could never do that.

Thanks Bill!  I strive to play every instruments I can get my hands on, although drums is my main axe and the only instrument I'm proficient enough on to play a gig with.

Glennbo

Re: New Song - Wait a Minute 2018/10/07 13:55:05 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul
    My favorite tone was the trebly spanky rhythm towards the left.

Nice groove. Got me into a Joe Walsh mood, he did some cool instrumental stuff.

cheers,
    -Tom

Thanks Tom!  I love the old James Gang stuff.  I jammed on my acoustic kit just the other day to "The Bomber" from "James Gang Rides Again". 

Glennbo

Re: New Song - Wait a Minute 2018/10/07 14:00:36 (permalink)
    daryl1968
    What a great groove!
    Guitars and drums sound great - just think of the space you could save by getting rid of the kit and amps :)

Thanks Daryl. You should see my studio. I have a real kit of Ludwig drums mic'd up right behind me, a fully expanded kit of Roland V-Drums to the left of me, plus seven guitars, two basses, a banjo, and a mandolin to the right of me.  Oh, and a midi keyboard on a slide out thing right under my desk.  :-)

Glennbo

daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: New Song - Wait a Minute 2018/10/07 14:05:09 (permalink)
    daryl1968
    What a great groove!

Thanks Daryl. You should see my studio. I have a real kit of Ludwig drums mic'd up right behind me, a fully expanded kit of Roland V-Drums to the left of me, plus seven guitars, two basses, a banjo, and a mandolin to the right of me.  Oh, and a midi keyboard on a slide out thing right under my desk.  :-)

Lovely.
    Get rid of that lot and you could put in a hot tub :)
    Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: New Song - Wait a Minute 2018/10/07 14:10:34 (permalink)
    I don't know how Roy Wooten plays drums from a Synthaxe either. Looks tough to me.
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: New Song - Wait a Minute 2018/10/15 21:50:54 (permalink)
    Well... for me this is one of those cases where the ends outweigh the means.   

While I wasn't crazy about the guitar tones, the composition and performance made that fairly irrelevant.   Really cool tune. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Re: New Song - Wait a Minute 2018/10/21 18:10:34 (permalink)
    stevec
    Well... for me this is one of those cases where the ends outweigh the means.   

While I wasn't crazy about the guitar tones, the composition and performance made that fairly irrelevant.   Really cool tune. 

Thanks Steve. It was an experiment on two fronts. Using Guitar Rig in Linux for one, and just using Guitar Rig at all for two. My usual method of recording guitar is to hit a programmable Digitech RP7 Tube/SS preamp pedal board that feeds a little 20w Orange Micro Terror amp that powers a vintage Gretsch twin twelve speaker cab that I have isolated and mic'd up in the closet with a Sennheiser MD421. When I play or record, I'm hearing it on my studio monitors after going through all that stuff, but there is no noticeable latency, and I can get big full sounding tones at real low volume.  I was surprised to get Komplete Elements functioning in Linux under WINE, and decided to try using Guitar Rig with no real amps at all. I could use it if I didn't have the other setup and really needed to, but I prefer the sound of the real amps and preamps with tubes, and mic'd speakers.   :-)

Glennbo

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1