Endless knob in AZ Controller

Author
rejkmackan
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2018/10/07 10:05:13 (permalink)

Endless knob in AZ Controller

I failed registering at Azslow forum so I try posting my question here instead.

I'm using a Komplete Kontrol S61. The knobs can be configured in two ways to to send relative values:
1) relative values 1 for up and 127 for down
2) relative values 65 for up and 63 for down
The problem is that when the knob is turned fast, increased values are sent, for option 1) above, for instance value 2, 3 etc is sent when turning the knob up. When turning the knob down, values 126, 125 etc., are sent, i.e. in reverse.

With AZ Controller option 1) works with Endless controller and Acceleration for turning the knob up. When turning down the value 127 works, but it shifts the controller really fast. To work properly, when turning the value down, it seems to expect values 65, 66, 67 etc., instead of 127, 126, 125 that it gets, in order to accelerate smoothly.

I think I could get this to work if I can recalculate value 127 to 65, 126 to 66, 125 to 67 etc.

Is there a way in AZ Controller to change midi data values in this way, before it reach the value action for the endless controller.
post edited by rejkmackan - 2018/10/07 14:41:15

12 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Endless knob in AZ Controller 2018/10/07 16:41:54 (permalink)
    Hi,
    sorry you could not register on my site, I will check what is going on.

For the subject, I guess that is not supported at the moment. Workaround in preset is possible, but special option inside the program is the proper way.

I will let you know here when things are ready (I guess tomorrow).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    rejkmackan
    Re: Endless knob in AZ Controller 2018/10/07 17:28:52 (permalink)
    Thank you for your reply. Looking forward to it. I think you're doing a great job.

I really like how the knobs on Komplete Kontrol can be used to move the faders when the acceleration works. I have kind of tested it already since it works for moving the fader up. When doing it this way there is no need to have motorized faders, and no risk of accidentally modifying the values (not very much anyway).

And the fact that I don't need another hardware unit to do this but can do it with the keyboard, is also great. However, the keyboard have no buttons that can be used for sending midi messages, so I'm thinking about getting a simple midi controller with buttons to use together with the keyboard controls, e.g. for controlling record arm, mute and solo.

About registering on your site, if you have logs telling what might have gone wrong, I can tell you that I have tried multiple times. With username "Markus Nilsson", rejkmackan, and also with my email as the username. I never got an activation mail. Tried two different mail addresses, one at gmail and one at a Swedish domain, and have checked the spam folder. The site reported that it had sent activation mail successfully.
    azslow3
    Re: Endless knob in AZ Controller 2018/10/08 11:45:04 (permalink)
    I have uploaded b394. No changes in presets required, AZController should automatically process acceleration correctly (for any relative values).

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    tobiaslindahl
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re: Endless knob in AZ Controller 2018/10/08 13:55:00 (permalink)
    This has nothing to do with this post, but I still love my X-touch mini with your preset. It works perfectly! :) 
    Just figured another thank you was in order. 
    rejkmackan
    Re: Endless knob in AZ Controller 2018/10/08 17:00:53 (permalink)
    I have tested it now, and I can confirm that it works like i hoped it would. Thanks a lot.
    azslow3
    Re: Endless knob in AZ Controller 2018/10/08 20:53:55 (permalink)
    tobiaslindahl
    This has nothing to do with this post, but I still love my X-touch mini with your preset. It works perfectly! :) 
    Just figured another thank you was in order.

Thanks

rejkmackan
    I have tested it now, and I can confirm that it works like i hoped it would. Thanks a lot.

Great. Let me know if you need something else.
    rejkmackan
    And the fact that I don't need another hardware unit to do this but can do it with the keyboard, is also great. However, the keyboard have no buttons that can be used for sending midi messages, so I'm thinking about getting a simple midi controller with buttons to use together with the keyboard controls, e.g. for controlling record arm, mute and solo.

Something like mentioned Mini can do the trick (and it has ready to use preset)
    But f.e. with FF as a "Shift", encoders can do different things, like toggling Mute when turning right and Solo when left. In addition with such "Shift" you can use 61 keys as command buttons. Adding REW as a second modifier, you can have yet another set of 8x2 toggles or extra continuous operations (jogger, zoom, etc.). Or just use 4 encoders for volume and another 4 for: mute/solo, arm, track selector, jogger.  

rejkmackan
    Re: Endless knob in AZ Controller 2018/10/10 11:47:38 (permalink)
    Not sure that I understand what you mean by "FF as a "Shift", or if that would be possible on the Komplete Kontrol, but I will read more of your documentation before asking about it. I sounds interesting anyway.
    azslow3
    Re: Endless knob in AZ Controller 2018/10/10 14:27:36 (permalink)
    rejkmackan
    Not sure that I understand what you mean by "FF as a "Shift", or if that would be possible on the Komplete Kontrol, but I will read more of your documentation before asking about it. I sounds interesting anyway.

If your keyboard has transport buttons which send MIDI (MK1, MK2 has different approach...), these buttons can be used as "modifiers" (like a "Shift"/"Caps lock" on a computer keyboard). Configuring AZ Controller is a tick more complicated in that case, you will need to understand "ACT MIDI Explained" tutorial.

rejkmackan
    Re: Endless knob in AZ Controller 2018/10/10 16:42:30 (permalink)
    As I understand it, my keyboard expose one port for the knobs and keys (Komplete Kontrol - 1), and another, called Komplete Kontrol DAW, for the transport buttons, so I suppose they are difficult to combine.
    azslow3
    Re: Endless knob in AZ Controller 2018/10/10 19:51:35 (permalink)
    You underestimate AZ Controller
    It is possible to have several (up to 4) instances of AZ Controller target at different devices/ports and work with all of them as with one (Options Master/Slave). Read "Cooperation mode" in the manual, note the warning there. To avoid the problem specified in the warning, you can try  http://www.azslow.com/index.php?topic=384.0

BTW we can try to meet online with Skype+TeamViewer, then I can show how all works and quickly demonstrate some possibilities. Experience has shown that advanced features are way faster to show then to explain. We can simply make setup suitable for your needs within an hour. But if you have time and willing to discover things yourself, everything is in the manual/tutorials.

I have plans for AZ Controller 2, targeted REAPER and may be Sonar, which is going to be way more user friendly. Unfortunately, optimistic estimation for its release is the end of 2019...

rejkmackan
    Re: Endless knob in AZ Controller 2018/10/11 09:19:22 (permalink)
    Sounds interesting with combinations. I'm currently not sure how I would like that type of feature to work. I'll try to figure that out first. Your offer of explaining to me live is very kind, and I might contact you about that if you really think that you have time for it.

I throw in a question in the mean time, that I suppose might have a simple solution.

My WAI only shows where the first track is located for AZ Controller. Since I have 8 knobs it would be easier to orientate if all he 8 tracks the knobs control, are colored. Is there a setting for how many tracks AZ Controller WAI shows?
    azslow3
    Re: Endless knob in AZ Controller 2018/10/11 11:42:48 (permalink)
    rejkmackan
    My WAI only shows where the first track is located for AZ Controller. Since I have 8 knobs it would be easier to orientate if all he 8 tracks the knobs control, are colored. Is there a setting for how many tracks AZ Controller WAI shows?

Create a new control with let say name "Init". Put "WAI" action there, set required numbers (f.e. 8 - 0 - 0), set "width only" and "initial" flags. Press "Play" to activate immediately ("initial" flag tells to do this automatically when you load Cakewalk or preset).

Note that as mentioned, it will take me much more time to answer all such questions then to just show that online

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1