Helpful ReplyDoes anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording?

Author
douglasc52
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2018/10/12 17:15:42 (permalink)

Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording?

This may sound silly but, does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? I have turned off the metronome, tried to mute my midi notes and muted all my windows sounds still when I enable any track for recording audio, start recording and end recording I get this ding. It isn't recorded just monitored. Very annoying to me. I also get some strange low cord sounds when I add a track. Anybody hear this? I just got a new HP desktop and it is pretty powerful (Win10-64, I7-4790 with 16 G RAM) I am not having any trouble running Sonar but that ding is driving me crazy. Maybe I'm just obsessing but I don't recall that happening before. Any thoughts?
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/12 17:24:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2018/10/12 20:58:34
douglasc52
 muted all my windows sounds

Not sure what this means. Windows should be set to "No Sounds" in the Windows Sounds preferences so that Windows does even attempt to make a sound.

brundlefly
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/12 18:53:55 (permalink)
Sometime back in SONAR days, I reported a problem to the Bakers that SD3 would produce a 'ping' artifact when attempting to record its output, but it was only at the start of recording IIRC.

Are you using a dedicated audio interface for CbB or it's using onboard sound? As posted in another thread just a bit ago, I recommend having a dedicated interface for CbB using ASIO driver mode, and leaving your onboard sound enabled and set as the default device for use by Windows, browsers and other generic multimedia apps so that there's no interference.

If you're limited to using onboard sound with CbB for the moment, make sure you set the driver mode to WASAPI Exclusive.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
douglasc52
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/12 19:52:10 (permalink)
Thanks for the replies. I followed scook's and changed my windows scheme to "no sound", no change. Brundlefly, I have several different interfaces (Digi-tech VX400, Zoom R-16 (default), line 6 UX-2, and an old Edirol audio capture) I have always had trouble with the ASIO drivers and Sonar, I can't get them to sound right no matter what i do. I have had to fall back to MME (32bit) drivers to get any acceptable recording. Even the newer drivers (WDM, WASAPI (Exclusive & Shared) don't seem to work. I know my interfaces are a little old, but don't have the $ to upgrade right now.. Do you think it is the MME(32Bit) drivers causing it?
I can't use the Zoom R-16 for an input because I am using it for a USB output and you can't do both. The Line 6's ASIO drivers work but I have to run the Gear box app and that is kind of clunky. The Edirol & Digitech are MME (32 bit) only.
douglasc52
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/12 20:04:37 (permalink)
I just tried the ASIO drivers with the Line 6. The MME drivers may have been the culprit. I did not get the ding or the low chord sound when I did anything that produced it when in MME mode. Thanks for the tip. I guess I have to look for an up to date interface. Any suggestions?

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/12 20:12:47 (permalink)
Check out the hardware section on this forum. There are numerous threads posted there about interfaces. If you cannot find anything useful, create a new thread in that section with a budget and I/O requirements.
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/12 21:01:07 (permalink)
I would have bet my house it was a Windows sound.
I would try disconnecting everything and listen as I bring back each device one at a time.
Troubleshot it one at a time. 

It could very well be interference as well.
disable your wireless card on your laptop.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

douglasc52
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/23 03:10:42 (permalink)
I'm back. Thanks for all your input. I did some investigation and looked at my needs and available equipment and decided to buy a Focusrite 18i20 interface. I got it all set up and got the ASIO drivers installed and guess what? The dings are back. Bummer. I tried to go back to the Line 6 ASIO drivers and the ding was there, too. I don't know why I didn't get them before but now it is everywhere. Chuckebaby, I tried following your suggestions and no change. This is really weird. I don't get it when I am using another DAW (RealTracks or Protools light). I have tried disabling any peripheral  (Anti-virus, Networks, Sounds, etc.) still no change. Anyone still out there with any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/23 08:38:28 (permalink)
If you shift everything over to start at bar 2 does it still happen?

I've found with certain projects, there's a sudden "burst" when starting at bar 1. Moving everything over a bar cures this.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
csnack
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/23 15:38:52 (permalink)
msmcleod
I've found with certain projects, there's a sudden "burst" when starting at bar 1. Moving everything over a bar cures this.

I get that tempo "busrt" when pressing play/space bar every time near as I can tell when opening a project and playing it *for the first time* from bar one, but every time thereafter even from bar one it's fine.

Douglas, so you're getting that standard Windows Ding sound both when initiating record AND stopping record? And it *is* definitely a Windows Ding sound and not some other sound from somewhere/something else? If you've set windows to "no sounds" and still it's doing it, if it were me and having done everything that you've already done incl buying a whole new interface which you said you couldn't really afford at the moment, I'd suspect that something's wrong w/ the windows installation; something corrupt in the registry. I'd probably start by seeing if my windows installation has any kind of repair diagnostic/utility and run through it then do a cold reboot. Failing that, and as a last resort, I'd consider how much time and money I've already put into troubleshooting this, and I'd look into reinstalling windows w/o formatting (make sure you have enough HD space for new windows installation). And failing that, I'd back everything up (should be doing that anyway) and do a clean install of windows, which obviously means a clean install/setup of *everything else* thereafter but that may be your only solution if nothing else works. I know you said the problem doesn't exist when using other daws (presumably on the same pc), but it's possible that windows somehow got corrupt just as it pertains to cakewalk and not other daws. That's just what I'd do anyway. I'd like to know how this turns out so let us know.
douglasc52
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/27 16:09:24 (permalink)
csnack, thanks for the suggestions. I am very hesitant about a full reboot of windows. This is a new machine (HP ElitePro 800 (I misstated earlier calling it a 4790 which is my printer). I am thinking towards a reinstall of Sonar. I had to install it fresh for the new machine. I will stay in touch.
douglasc52
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/27 23:35:40 (permalink)
Mark, thanks for the suggestion, did you mean just move the marker over one bar and start from there, if so, no change. As I said earlier to csnack I may just reinstall Sonar. 
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/28 12:56:50 (permalink)
You aren't using anything to start and stop the transport like a frontier designs tranzport are you. Used to have an issue like that when one of the midi ports for the control surface was set to the wrong place and was sending out notes to a midi device.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/28 14:20:15 (permalink)
To add to the above, the OP never said exactly how you are starting/stopping the transport. As is sounds like the "ding" is the Windows error sound (not sure on this), it would be helpful to know if the transport is being started/stopped with a mouse on the transport controls, keyboard entry, or external device. When SONAR has focus, using a mouse or keyboard shortcut should not produce an error, but an external controller sending a signal into SONAR could, depending on how it is mapped. Even with SONAR in focus, the controller is what is relaying the message, and may be sending a message to something not online/recognized.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
douglasc52
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/29 19:12:49 (permalink)
I am using a mouse to trigger the play button on the Sonar main screen. I do have a Zoom R-16 hooked up as a control surface but I haven't been using that lately. I have tried hitting the space bar and I still get the ding. I
douglasc52
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/29 19:54:08 (permalink)
OK. I looked into the zoom r-16 control surface to see if that was causing it. I reinstalled the r-16 driver and while in the midi-preferences section I checked all the boxes in the record section, assigned the midi sysx echo ports to all the available devices, record 64 buffers and playback 250 ms buffer. Also, in the project/ midi preferences I assigned the midi sync outputs to all available devices, enabled 'transmit  mtc time code' and enabled all available devices. Lo and behold the zoom r-16 started working as a control surface and THE DINGS WERE GONE!! Yahoo. Still I am not sure what stopped them. I am pretty sure it was a midi thing. I disconnected the zoom r-16 and the dings were still gone so I don't think that was any influence. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Keep writing, playing and recording. Press on regardless. 
Audioicon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 349
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/30 01:03:13 (permalink)
douglasc52
This may sound silly but, does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? I have turned off the metronome, tried to mute my midi notes and muted all my windows sounds still when I enable any track for recording audio, start recording and end recording I get this ding. It isn't recorded just monitored. Very annoying to me. I also get some strange low cord sounds when I add a track. Anybody hear this? I just got a new HP desktop and it is pretty powerful (Win10-64, I7-4790 with 16 G RAM) I am not having any trouble running Sonar but that ding is driving me crazy. Maybe I'm just obsessing but I don't recall that happening before. Any thoughts?

I had the exact problem and it was caused by conflicting MIDI ports. This had happened because Sonar had crashed and all of the ports became mangled, I had to reconfigure all of the MIDI ports and that exact sound was gone.

Checkout my new song: Playing on YouTube: EUPHORIA.
csnack
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
Re: Does anyone get a "ding " when they start and stop recording? 2018/10/30 03:06:34 (permalink)
Always good to hear a problem solved brother. Now you know how to fix it if it happens again.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1