Midi synth Problem

Hello,

has anyone encountered the following kind of problem:

—I create a project in Sonar Platinum (mine has three audio tracks);
    — I convert the three tracks as a fourth new track;
    Until there, everything is fine! But...
    — I then insert a midi track;
    — I use Move tool to grasp the audio clip and copy it into the midi track;
    — I then insert a midi synth (Psyn II for example) and choose a sound so that the new data of my midi file is played sync  with the audio tracks but expressing a different texture;
    — I select all tracks and try to export them as a wav file to listen to my result.
    But... from that point, everything begins to mess up.  The progression seems endless, and soon a black rectangle appears, and it turns out everything is frozen.

Then if I try to click anywhere, it will open a window saying Sonar doesn't answer, with two choices:
    1. closing the program;
    2. waiting the program's answer (which never comes...)

I have tried countless things, including creating a new project with just the midi track and importing the same kind of date, as soon as I insert a midi synth and work on it, it soon messes up...

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Midi synth Problem 2018/10/20 20:04:17 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby dus6 2018/10/21 07:09:35
I'm a little unclear about your workflow.
Example
"I create a project in Sonar Platinum (mine has three audio tracks);
    — I convert the three tracks as a fourth new track;"
The more I read this the less sense it makes and might be why no one answered.

Only thing I can guess at is you have 3 recorded audio tracks of???  and you drag and drop all 3 to a blank midi track which Melodyn can chew on and convert to midi???

Or do you mean you bounce 3 audio tracks to one and then convert that to midi?

Converting complicated audio to midi can only be done with the expensive versions of Melodyn and possibly your just hanging your system on a task it cannot do.

I have a tutorial on using midi that might help you get started you can try, see my signature.

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

dus6
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Midi synth Problem 2018/10/21 07:13:59 (permalink)
    Hello Cactus music,

thank you very much for your answer and help! In fact, I just did the exact same thing that they did here, and which does not seem impossible (I had even seen that kind of video, this is why I remembered it and wanted to try myself):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYEU2Rjd_Gg

Except that I personally have the problem described in my original post. It seems that converting audio to midi can also simply be done by creating a midi synth track and drag and drop the clip directly into the synth track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4b5r7fm25o

Thanks for the tuto!

Regards
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Midi synth Problem 2018/10/21 09:37:14 (permalink)
Well the initial question raised by Cactus still remains - what sort of audio material are you trying to drag to a midi track?

Is it a simple synth line? A drum track? Complex audio?

Until we know exactly what you're trying to do you won't get a clear answer

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
dus6
Re: Midi synth Problem 2018/10/22 00:13:04 (permalink)
    Hello Bristol_Jonesey,

thanks for your message! Well, initially, I imported (in my three original audio tracks) sounds that I had recorded in various places with my mobile phone (a few noise from these places), very short recordings, but yes, due to their nature (random sounds), and considering that I then turned them (mixed) into an overall new audio track, I suppose it is what you call "complex audio".
    So in short, this means this technique (midi to audio by drag and drop) will only work correctly using simple audio?

Regards

sock monkey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Midi synth Problem 2018/10/22 17:16:38 (permalink)
The basic version of Melodyn which came with Sonar ( not CBC ) will convert a simple one note ( monophonic ) melody to midi. It works with Bass as example. It can also be set to percussive mode and create midi drum parts. 
You need to buy the upgraded versions of Melodyn to get the full conversion  of chords ( Polyphonic). The results can be good or garbage depending on how clean the material was. 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

JoseC.
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
Re: Midi synth Problem 2018/10/22 20:08:27 (permalink)
Noise, by its own nature, is mostly atonal. I guess that you are experimenting ways of giving Melodyne a seizure.
dus6
Re: Midi synth Problem 2018/10/24 02:20:50 (permalink)
    Hello sock monkey and JoseC.,

thanks to both of you for answers. Yes, I understand it was too complcated to handle. I will see with Melodyne, then it should work much better!

Regards
dus6
Re: Midi synth Problem 2018/10/24 02:20:51 (permalink)
    Hello sock monkey and JoseC.,

thanks to both of you for answers. Yes, I understand it was too complcated to handle. I will see with Melodyne, then it should work much better!

Regards
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1