Helpful ReplyPlug-in Presets Folder?

Author
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
2018/10/19 17:34:07 (permalink)

Plug-in Presets Folder?

So, in Spalt, I always backed up my presets in all VSTS that I could. But for the life of me I cannot remember how to get them back into the plug in menus. Like Kontakt for instance. There is no import in any of them. I searched the complete registry looking for plug in presets and variations there of? Nothing.
I mean if I have to recreate them all, whats the point of backing them up? 
So there must be a way buit it eludes me, as many things do these days.
Thanks folks

stratman70
Re: Plug-in Presets Folder? 2018/10/19 18:25:27 (permalink)
Yikes!

stratman70
Re: Plug-in Presets Folder? 2018/10/19 19:55:12 (permalink)
bump really important, no one knows? Really Yikes!

stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: Plug-in Presets Folder? 2018/10/19 20:08:57 (permalink)
I've saved and loaded VST plugin presets using the VST dropdown menu as documented here. I keep my .fxp and .fxb files in a known, backed-up location outside of the normal Windows folders.

The default presets are hiding somewhere but I think it varies by plugin and may even be in the registry for some of them.
stratman70
Re: Plug-in Presets Folder? 2018/10/19 20:37:04 (permalink)
Hey Stickman

Thanks. At least I know where that menu is now. Strange thing is my backups (EZ drummer 2, kontakt 5, Ez Keys, etc, etc, etc, etc are a  a suffix of spp files not fxb. Tried importing a few and error says not an VST bank? Of course all the drop down menus are labeled vst 2? 
So frustrating. I have been installing only the vst 3 versions of any vsts I have that have both. Maybe thats it.

Thanks for the info-at least I can search a bit better now

TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: Plug-in Presets Folder? 2018/10/19 20:39:22 (permalink)
stratman70
So, in Spalt, I always backed up my presets in all VSTS that I could. But for the life of me I cannot remember how to get them back into the plug in menus. Like Kontakt for instance. There is no import in any of them. I searched the complete registry looking for plug in presets and variations there of? Nothing.
I mean if I have to recreate them all, whats the point of backing them up? 
So there must be a way buit it eludes me, as many things do these days.
Thanks folks

You're not clear on what exactly your issue is i.e. if you are talking about Cakewalk's plug-in layout menus or plugin presets or something else.

Re Cakewalk's plug-in layout menus
  • If what you are referring to is loosing your custom menu when you move to a new machine
    Check under Cakewalk/SPlat's Preferences/Folder Locations/Plug-in Layouts
    and copy files and setting to new PC.
  • Custom plug-in layout menus are not updated by the VST scanner.
    To keep your plugin layout menus updated you'll either need to use Cakewalks's Plugin Manager or a 3rd party tool.
Regarding Plugin presets...
Where a plugin stores it's presets varies from plugin to plugin. Some plugins creators use a consistent system within their plugins others don't.

A popular location on PC's is:
%PUBLIC%\Documents   - look for a subfolder wwith plugin or plugin creator's name eg SoundToys
or
in your personal Documents folder.

Other places to look:
%ProgramData%
%APPDATA%

Some plugins will store their preset location in the registry (which you say you have already checked) or their programs preference/option settings.

You mentioned Kontakt...
If what you are referring to is presets specific to a library I'd google how to set up Quick-Load.
Using Quick-Load you can have all your nonKontakt-Player libraries and their presets set up for instant access/usage.

Hopefully somewhere in here I've addressed your issue.

Best regards
...Steven

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
stratman70
Re: Plug-in Presets Folder? 2018/10/19 20:39:52 (permalink)
What a dope I am. I saved all of these preset banks using Sonars plug in manager. Thats how I did it. 
Your post led me to the answer because I started wondering what spp suffix was....Thanks Guys

Then of course I saw Stevens post with all the answeres

Thanks very much. 
It is so frustrating when you do something for so many years and forget.

I have been saving preset menus with the plug in mgr since it first came out and always back them on on an ext drive.....

msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Plug-in Presets Folder? 2018/10/19 22:14:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jackson white 2018/10/20 15:59:01
Here's a neat trick I stumbled upon for better organising Cakewalk/SONAR's plugin presets....

Normally when you use the Cakewalk preset drop-down to load/save a preset, it goes to either the default preset content folder, or the last preset folder you were looking at.

However, if you open up regedit, and go to: 
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory

You'll see a lists of all of the plugins. If you click on one of the plugins, and edit the PresetPath key, you can enter in the path of where the presets are for that plugin only. So when you use the preset drop-down menu it will always start at that folder for that plugin:

Be careful though! If the path is invalid, or doesn't exist you'll crash CbB.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
stratman70
Re: Plug-in Presets Folder? 2018/10/19 23:06:08 (permalink)
Great! Thanks Marc..............

Synaptic
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: Plug-in Presets Folder? 2018/12/20 09:42:50 (permalink)
this seems pretty broken to me - cakewalk cannot browse & audition VST presets ( either VST3 or VST2).
From what I can gather, every preset has to be loaded via a dialogue, and then re-saved one by one into cakewalks proprietary format.
If I am off the beam, let me know
also, Is there ANY way to batch load *.fxp or  *.vstpreset into cakewalks format ? I don't want to do this one by one..
Chuck

HP Z420 24 gigs Ram:Win 8.1 
Eleven Rack :M-Audio Keyrig: Avid Artist Mix + Control
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1