Helpful ReplyDoes 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues??

Author
sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
2018/10/20 16:21:50 (permalink)

Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues??

Hi, I always leave the 64bit double processing engine on  and dithering off during export. Recently had some subtle trouble with audio quality in a final mix export, it was subtle but bit obvious in the strings section. I record and render in 24bit. Since I was not satisfied with the way the strings section sounded after the  first export I turned on the dithering and made 2  more exports with tringular and power-r2 settings. The way the strings sounded improved in the later exports. Again, it was subtle but obvious to me since I was working on the mix for quite some time. 

Previously I thought there is no need to turn on dithering during export since I was exporting  the mixdowns in the same 24bit resolution. I have read many advices on using dithering only during mastering. But recent googleing has educated me that daws by default work at 32bit resolution so there is some internal conversion doing on from 32bit to 24bit even if you set the project at 24bit. Is this true? And is true with sonar?

So this also got me wondering, if that is the case each time I am rendering using 64bit double processing engine sonar has to convert the audio from 64bit to 24bit? Am I right? This can cause even more low level distortion? and thats why my export needed dithering to get it sound right? Please someone knowledgeable enlighten me. 
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/20 17:39:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sonarman1 2018/10/29 20:50:55
No, the only downside to 64-bit processing is that it places greater strain on system resources: more RAM used, more CPU cycles, more disk storage.

Dither is irrelevant in either 32- or 64-bit processing. There is some debate over whether it is relevant to 24-bit integers, but a strong case can be made that it is also a non-factor in that scenario. Yes, your 64-bit files do need to be truncated to 24 bits, but the resolution is high enough that no significant precision is lost. Remember, all this is happening at ridiculously quiet levels way below the level of audibility.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/24 17:44:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sonarman1 2018/10/28 19:09:46
Generally dithering has an effect when you are exporting to integer formats (16/24 bit).
If you intend to use it for mastering you should export to 32 or 64 bit float with dithering turned off.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/24 21:54:03 (permalink)
I just get clicks and pops if I turn that on. So it stays off.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/24 23:32:57 (permalink)
Here goes - I'm fast becoming the expert on this one, although some on here will howl me down - I am apparently a trained researcher these days (I've used a content analysis to get across this topic, but I probably need to do more qualitative study into the topic, scientific)...but since I taught myself and I'm in a protracted war with the university system here in Oz...who knows but here goes!

Firstly, well done on hearing there's a problem when going from 64bit FP to 24bit. This is not a condescending statement - some on this forum say you can't hear any differences because you only have 24bit converters. In fact it was on the strings or the sampled strings that I first heard the problem too.

One of things I cannot stress enough to you is switch on the 64bit fp record button, this is where you will encounter one of the problems that you can encounter down the line. I'm not sure how Sonar's internal dither system works, but if you're recording at 24 bit but processing at 64 bit...there might be dithering going on here. So not only are you dithering at the mastering stage, but also during the processing stage. I'm speculating, because I don't know your settings. Also, you've picked up on an important notion that I only realized myself a few weeks ago. This is not all audio programs programs process 64bit FP audio files. It was a revelation, when I heard this mistake for the first time. You see I use Vegas Video for my moving image editing...and I didn't realize that it's internal audio processing is done at 32bitfp. I would import my 64bit fp master into Vegas, but I kept hearing something, probably similar to what you're hearing...there was a graininess at the very outer edge of the resolution. It bothered me, but I thought it might just be a crap mix...it wasn't. About 2 months ago I decided to see what happend when I slapped Vegas Video's dither plug over the top of the master (I never put dither on my 64 bit masters before then you see), and it was a revelation. Gone was that nasty graininess you're hearing.

Here's my advice to sum up - first always record, mix and master at 64bitfp. Only dither when you need to. So if you're going to use the master file in a film clip check what bit depth the program processes audio and dither accordingly. Now I make a few mistakes here and there, it's why I get laughed at on this forum...but I'm still trying to work out whether to dither for MP3 and compressed audio formats...do some experiments and use your ears to determine whether or not to do so. At the moment I use 64bitfp master files, which I upload to soundcloud and convert to MP3 format. I will have to do some listening tests on this one. I also recommend junking powr dither - it is absolute rubbish. I will tell you why - when I slapped Vegas Video's dither over my 64bitfp master file...it was the first time ever I heard what the dither was doing. If you do a little research, you will find dither has some really basic settings...and these settings resemble film filters in many ways. Think gaussian blur, which is a setting on my dither. Being able to hear what the dither does, means you can set the dither accordingly and indeed not chop too much off. So my dither has rectangle, triangle, half triangle and gaussian off the top of my head and you can shift the noise floor to the top end and across the spectrum...off the top of my head again. It is so cool when you hear what you're doing, because you can keep more of the definition...which is super important if you're doing the amount of processing I do. Think the analogue emulation aesthetic, binaural time based effects and other audio ear goodies :). Its also why I suggest you record at 64bitfp too, it returns the digital realm to the analogue realm. You have probably more dynamic range (internally) than the best analogue system with 64bitfp audio files. And if you use Melodyne or digital varispeed - the manipulation doesn't create artifacts or a graininess again. And here's a clue too as to why you should record at 64bitfp audio, and it was my first clue in better understanding the 64bit digital audio paradigm. Are there times when you wouldn't use 64bitfp audio files? Yes! Let's say you're recording an acoustic troubadour with minimal processing...I would turn off 64bitfp and if I had good microphones and preamps use these to massage the sound. I would also switch off 64bit FP if i was going to do all external processing - going in and out of the box. You will get no benefit of the 64bit engine and audio file paradigm then and in fact it's quite possible artifacts could be introduced if you do.

Finally, to fix the issue you have I suggest this - switch on the 64bit fp audio file button, and make sure you've hit the up upsampling or x2 button and enabled the plugin to process with upsampling...upper left hand section of the plug. Most plugs apparently these days have this already punched in, but with modern computers and SSD drives these days...there's no point in not switching on these devices (unless as I said above). Then freeze each of your tracks, what this will do is wrap your 24bit audio files into 64bitaudio files...giving you the added benefits of 64bitfp audio files. This should fix the graininess you hear on your strings. Make sure you turn off Sonar's internal dither first...but maybe experiment and do an a b test. So freeze a track at 64bit fp with and without Sonar's internal dither on. I haven't really tired this, but now I've mentioned it...I will probably give it a burl.

Hope that helps:)

Ben.

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/25 07:41:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sonarman1 2018/10/29 21:02:35
"Safe" approach is to minimize format conversion, for that you need to realize which format is used by different components in the signal chain.
sonarman1
I record and render in 24bit.

An audio interface native record and play format is 24bit. From that, the last 4-8 bits are garbage (in the best case there is "good" white noise). So recording into 24bit is fine, you just record what you get. There is no magic way to improve that. And that is what defines the "Project bit depth".

DAW process the signal in 32 or 64bit FP format. While a DAW internally theoretically can do what it wants, VST by design support 32 and 64bit FP only. To preserve as much as possible, render into the same format. In this case you "record" (out of the DAW) what it produce. In practice, 64bit (FP) make big sense during processing only, "truncating" it during rendering to 32bit (FP) is fine. Only under extreme conditions and with cranked environment you may notice the difference. I mean when you can hear the difference, even subtle, that has other source.
Note that you should set the format not only during "Export" rendering, but also (and in fact more important) for intermediate rendering: "File/Audio Data/Render Bit Depth".

Rendering into 24bit can be problematic. But you still should not hear any difference if you do that under normal conditions. Check the processing chain from the source to the place where you notice the problem. Probably you will find the evil (bad VST, intermediate rendering to 24bit -40dB level signal, etc.).

If you do not trust me, at least trust Noel. Do not try to solve problems with dithering. It is good for final conversion into 16bit and even there should produce subtle effect and for demanding material only.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
michael diemer
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/25 15:52:34 (permalink)
Wow, this stuff is so far above my head. What about music for full orchestra? Should dithering be used there? I usually just go with the default setting. Should I change it?

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

bitflipper
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/25 16:38:19 (permalink)
michael diemer
Wow, this stuff is so far above my head. What about music for full orchestra? Should dithering be used there? I usually just go with the default setting. Should I change it?

No. The violins will supply all the dithering noise you need.

My Stuff
michael diemer
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/25 19:26:04 (permalink)
bitflipper
michael diemer

Yeah, you got that right! The low strings also do a great job muddying up the mids, too. Strings remain the most challenging thing to get right. but then I have heard actual performances where the high violins sound terrible. Just too many instruments, no way they can be in tune and in time with each other.

So, I guess I should turn dithering off altogether? 

michael diemer
32 GB ram
UR22 interface

bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/25 20:03:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sonarman1 2018/10/28 19:09:05
These discussions on dithering and hearing the difference are interesting. For dithering meant to apply to export, there is an easily repeatable experiment that can be done. The OP would be in a very good position to try this.

Export multiple files, each time using a different dither setting. Twice for example: once with no dithering and once with a dithering option that sounds different. Then in a bare project, put those two files, one out of phase. Based on my understanding of the definition of dither, those files should cancel out down to the least significant bit.

The resulting file should be noise, and it should be very hard to hear when played back at the same volume that would normally be used to listen to the exported original. Certainly if the original file does not use the dynamic range available in the original format (e.g. 24 bits), the dither becomes a larger proportion of the signal, and may cause audible artifacts.

In any case, if samples in the resulting file are larger than '1' (literally the value 1 in a possible range of -838608 to +8388607) there could be a bug in the dither code or an error in the application of it. (Edit: there are some controls on the timeline to zoom vertically on the waveform to see 1's and easily see samples out of that range)

Does the canceled output sound like noise or does it have any pitch or audible pattern (turn up the volume to hear it)? The noise can be subjected to frequency analysis to see if the spectrum looks like noise in the frequency range predicted by the description of the dither option.

W10 pro, Sonar Platinum, Alesis Multimix 16 FW, MOTU Express 128, Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7 8700K, 16 Gigs, ssd + 2 X 2T disks, D50-MEX, JV80, A90EX, M1REX
sonarman1
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/28 20:11:10 (permalink)
Thanks to everyone for shedding some knowledge. 
bitflipper
No, the only downside to 64-bit processing is that it places greater strain on system resources: more RAM used, more CPU cycles, more disk storage.

Dither is irrelevant in either 32- or 64-bit processing. There is some debate over whether it is relevant to 24-bit integers, but a strong case can be made that it is also a non-factor in that scenario. Yes, your 64-bit files do need to be truncated to 24 bits, but the resolution is high enough that no significant precision is lost. Remember, all this is happening at ridiculously quiet levels way below the level of audibility.

True the difference is very subtle. Two factors might have made it quite evident in my export. 

1. I had bounced the strings from another project and imported the strings track to the current project. I might have added dithering during the first export from there as well. So successive dithering might have made my case obvious on the strings.

2. I did terrible sound staging prior to the mix and ended up with a mix with master bus peaking at abt -12dbfs. Not willing to restage the already good sounding mix I simply kept the master fader at +6. I guess by doing this I might have brought up the noise level and this might have somehow affected my track when I bounced at 24bit with no dithering. 

sonarman1
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/28 20:25:55 (permalink)
Generally dithering has an effect when you are exporting to integer formats (16/24 bit).
If you intend to use it for mastering you should export to 32 or 64 bit float with dithering turned off.

Thanks Noel. I understand the daw is internally handling audio in 32bit or 64bit. ButIhave kept my record, render and import bit depth to 24. So now if I export my mix for mastering in 32 or 64bit format with dithering turned off, will it still benefit?
If thats possible it will be of great use, I can totally forget abt dithering and make all my exports 32bit.
sonarman1
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/28 20:33:15 (permalink)
michael diemer
bitflipper
michael diemer

Yeah, you got that right! The low strings also do a great job muddying up the mids, too. Strings remain the most challenging thing to get right. but then I have heard actual performances where the high violins sound terrible. Just too many instruments, no way they can be in tune and in time with each other.

So, I guess I should turn dithering off altogether? 

Whats interesting is I heard Yoad Nevo telling he would keep the dithering off since the waves plugins he used already emulate some analog noise in the background. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V9d6zQzcrg

sonarman1
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/28 23:00:28 (permalink)
bvideo
These discussions on dithering and hearing the difference are interesting. For dithering meant to apply to export, there is an easily repeatable experiment that can be done. The OP would be in a very good position to try this.

Export multiple files, each time using a different dither setting. Twice for example: once with no dithering and once with a dithering option that sounds different. Then in a bare project, put those two files, one out of phase. Based on my understanding of the definition of dither, those files should cancel out down to the least significant bit.

The resulting file should be noise, and it should be very hard to hear when played back at the same volume that would normally be used to listen to the exported original. Certainly if the original file does not use the dynamic range available in the original format (e.g. 24 bits), the dither becomes a larger proportion of the signal, and may cause audible artifacts.

In any case, if samples in the resulting file are larger than '1' (literally the value 1 in a possible range of -838608 to +8388607) there could be a bug in the dither code or an error in the application of it. (Edit: there are some controls on the timeline to zoom vertically on the waveform to see 1's and easily see samples out of that range)

Does the canceled output sound like noise or does it have any pitch or audible pattern (turn up the volume to hear it)? The noise can be subjected to frequency analysis to see if the spectrum looks like noise in the frequency range predicted by the description of the dither option.

Will try that.
bitflipper
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/29 01:29:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sonarman1 2018/10/29 21:01:39
First, there is little benefit to rendering at 24 bits over 32. Disk files are 25% smaller, that's all. There's no audible downside to running at 32 bits throughout. Even if you're importing 24-bit audio or using 24-bit samples, all CbB is going to do is tack on zeroes to pad them out to 32 bits, which doesn't change the sound at all. However, the 32-bit files will be far less susceptible to problems resulting from subsequent modifications to the data. 

If you export your 24-bit project to 32 bits, the same thing happens: zeroes are appended to each data word. Dither isn't necessary whether exporting to either 24 or 32. Only if you export to 16 bits do you need dither. Even then, you might be surprised to find that it makes no difference there either (try it, it's an easy experiment).

My Stuff
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/29 19:22:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sonarman1 2018/10/29 20:47:14
sonarman1
Thanks Noel. I understand the daw is internally handling audio in 32bit or 64bit. ButIhave kept my record, render and import bit depth to 24. So now if I export my mix for mastering in 32 or 64bit format with dithering turned off, will it still benefit? 
If thats possible it will be of great use, I can totally forget abt dithering and make all my exports 32bit.

It will still benefit because irrespective of the source formats of 16/24 bit all internal mixing is done at 32 or 64 bit float. So exporting to a float format is keeping the data at a lossless resolution. With a float format you can literally bounce or process thousands of times with no audible noise build up since floating point errors are infinitesimal.

There is no point setting the record depth at anything higher than 24 unless your audio interface has floating point support. Most do not... You should leave the import depth to same as original - that way if you import a float file it will stay in floating point and not get truncated to integer.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
sonarman1
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/29 21:01:14 (permalink)

It will still benefit because irrespective of the source formats of 16/24 bit all internal mixing is done at 32 or 64 bit float. So exporting to a float format is keeping the data at a lossless resolution. With a float format you can literally bounce or process thousands of times with no audible noise build up since floating point errors are infinitesimal.

There is no point setting the record depth at anything higher than 24 unless your audio interface has floating point support. Most do not... You should leave the import depth to same as original - that way if you import a float file it will stay in floating point and not get truncated to integer.

Thanks. Where in the world could I get answers from such knowledgeable people.  Let me consider myself privileged to be here. 

bvideo

I tried what u suggested. As you said I could only hear only the noise and everything else gets phase canceled. I had to put a limiter with 30db gain to get the noise to audible levels. 
bitflipper
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/29 22:50:14 (permalink)
Exactly. Now ask yourself what the audible difference would be between triangular vs. Pow-r 3 dither in a full mix. You could instead insert a satanic message in reverse...no one would know the difference.

My Stuff
sonarman1
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/30 10:08:12 (permalink)
Yea, the dither noise was actually much lower in level compared to the noise added by analog emulation plugins. Now I understand why Yoad Nevo doesn't use dither when there is analog noise at the background. 
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Does 64bit double processing engine means more dither issues?? 2018/10/30 20:23:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sonarman1 2018/10/31 10:32:52
With 24bit, dither noise is technically impossible to hear till you do digital amplification. If you send it strait into ASIO, it will be way below any modern interface DAC noise level. But if you digitally amplify it, you can shift it into audible domain. Every +6dB shift ~1bit.

For myself I have done a noob test. I have checked how many bits (max) should be occupied in a sample of WAV file so I can recognize the presence of dithering on laptop with ~$5 headphones. Lower then 10bit... I am noob and test conditions was bad. So when someone write that is 16bit (CD), I think "well, theoretically possible". But not with 24.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1