Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment:SOLVED

Author
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
2018/10/21 00:29:20 (permalink)

Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment:SOLVED

EDIT:I cannot find an answer and I know it has to do with the conversion from mbr to gpt.............I give up 

So, I did this conversion so I could use the UEFI protocol. But, I cannot create a win 10 recovery disk. States files are missing. SFC says all is good. So the conversion created a small partition on C called EFI. The original recovery partition created during initial install is still there but it's status reads "none" While C partition and efi partition status reads GPT?
 I did try the C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagentc /enable command in admin command prompt and REAGENTC.EXE: The Windows RE image was not found. Oh it' there alright, all 481MB of it......
I have backup images but thats not the same imho....Oh well, Win 10 is determined to beat me to submission........

I have searched and will continue to do so............I'll report back if I find an answer.

post edited by stratman70 - 2018/10/24 01:17:55

13 Replies Related Threads

stratman70
    Re: Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment 2018/10/21 18:01:17 (permalink)
    Nobody? Well Google has no answers either. I did pay full retail for Win 10 pro less than a montha fgo so maybe I have tech support.

I wil try and contact microsoft. I cannot be the only person that decided to use the mbr2gpt tool for the coversion from mbr to gpt.

stratman70
    Re: Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment 2018/10/21 18:42:47 (permalink)
    So got a real person at MS tech today. Honestly, made me feel like I know much more than I do. Person kept repeating stuff I already told him I had tried. sfc, check disk, etc.   

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment 2018/10/22 18:21:24 (permalink)

You might be able to get away with just booting from the Windows installation disc to repair, and choosing automatic repair.

I have not done this but it might help:
    https://www.winhelp.us/restore-windows-re.html

I would not even begin to try messing with these early partitions without first making a full system backup of the working system you have now. 

In any case most of the repair options in the recovery partition will run from the recovery options on the installation media. You can always download a new version iso from Microsoft and burn it to disc.

stratman70
    Re: Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment 2018/10/22 19:23:15 (permalink)
    Hey Slartb

I was wondering if it mattered ( to the UEFI protocol) if the recovery partition is mbr as long as the boot partition is gpt? Couldn't find an answer. I do have good images of everything right up to this hour.

So I will try what you suggest 

Thanks for chiming in. I felt so alone on this, even google could not help me  :-) 

I'll post back with results.
    thanks
    Frank

stratman70
    Re: Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment 2018/10/23 16:27:39 (permalink)
    Well, no luck. I do give up this point and will just start doing more frequent image backups. 

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment 2018/10/23 17:07:51 (permalink)
    On my Win 10 UEFI GPT drive, my "C" partition is NTFS
    I can't post screenshots, but here is how to display the drive:

Hold the Windows key down and press the Pause key.  
    In the Panel that comes up Click on "Control Panel" at the top.
    In the Control Panel, Click on "System and Security" and then
    "Create and format hard disk partitions.   When the panel comes up 
    it will profile all the drives on the system. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    stratman70
    Re: Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment 2018/10/23 18:34:25 (permalink)
    Correction:
    I used the term bios incorrectly. Bios "is" the procol for lack of a better term. GPT is the newer more efficent protocol, once again if protocol is the right word.
    I am thinking about taking some online classes to get back\relearn and learn new the stuff I used to know so well. I stopped at server 2000 as a ssys admin and winxp was the desktop of choice for windows.
    These days I seem to fumble around because I think I still know so much and I don't...................

Thanks. I know all that. My drives are NTFS, that is the formatting of the partitions. That's not the issue. The issue is the recovery partition is GPT, not MBR. That is the only thing that I can figure is stopping Win 10 pro from finding it. GPT is needed to use the newer UEFI bios protocol (not sure thats what it is, but that is what it does. BIOS aka Basic input output system is better, newer and more secure using Uefi. 

I converted the whole drive to GPT because I did not know this info when I first installed a clean win 10 pro on a new ssd. So everything was MBR (master boot record-older protocol)So I had to use a converter to get to GPT to use the newer UEFI.

I am thinking that I only had to convert the main (OS) partition to GPT (from MBR) but I converted the whole drive.

I need to find out if I could have only converted the one partion, I am not sure. Need to go to the stores now but will investigate when I get back
    Hope that makes sense? 
    post edited by stratman70 - 2018/10/23 21:48:50

stratman70
    Re: Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment 2018/10/23 18:38:10 (permalink)
    BTW here is the microsoft info for what I did: https://technet.microsoft.../windows/mt782786.aspx

fireberd
    Re: Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment 2018/10/24 10:15:50 (permalink)
    Why do you even have or need a "recovery" partition?  Its useless if you have a drive failure.   Any "recovery" I do is from a Macrium Reflect backup (disc image of the full drive all partitions) on a separate drive.   I know most PC vendors include (or used to include) a recovery partition restore the PC to the original factory image but if the boot record is ever changed (OS changed) the recovery is no longer valid.   Most PC vendors, now, include a (run once) procedure to create an external recovery media that can be used to restore to the original factory image.  

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    stratman70
    Re: Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment 2018/10/24 19:25:25 (permalink)
    Well, the main reason for the recovery partition is so one does not have to use any type of boot disk to try repairs.
    That is pretty much the only reason really-convenience .

As far as Macrium, that is not the same....Macrium can reinstall the image, but unless you make an image every day you will never have everything. Yes you can set Macrium or Acronis to track things and keep track and blah, blah, blah. I would rather not have all that BS running in the background while I am trying to work on a project. I make a new image every week or so. I disable all types of scheduling and background processes in Acronis (same as Macrium which I also have)

Windows of all versions are famous for having boot issues, sometimes simple and sometimes not.
    You are telling me that anytime you cannot get your system to reboot you replace everything with an image? Ok thats cool I guess.
     But I have learned to troubleshoot and diagnose issues. Image is my last resort. Always.

This was not a cannot boot issue, really just a PIA and it pissed me off---at MS.

Hey look, I understand. If you noticed, before you posted this I had hours ago changed the title to solved.My solution was I do not need it. But it has nothing to do with images. I have boot disks of various types so I can troublweshoot. It just bothered the hell out of me that MS would give me the tools and video for converting a drive to GPT so it can utilize the UEFI process but neglect to tell me it would nullify the "convenient" recovery partition.

Yes images are great, but not for every issue.............

stratman70
    Re: Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment 2018/10/24 19:26:27 (permalink)
    Not sure what drive failure has to do with any of this? I didn't have a drive failure. I had a new install of Win 10 Pro.........
    BTW, recovery partition is NOT just for a new image. It is a trouble shooting partition when you know how to use it.

fireberd
    Re: Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment 2018/10/24 19:36:35 (permalink)
    OK.  I'll not make any more responses.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    stratman70
    Re: Win 10 recovery cannot find recovery environment 2018/10/24 21:35:55 (permalink)
    fireberd
    OK.  I'll not make any more responses.

well OK. I guess................Disk failure iss completely different. MBR can be rebuilt very easily without re installing a full image. 
    Just that your insistence about images had nothing to do with what I was talking about-Troubleshooting.....

Anyway, didn't mean to get you upset.......... 
    post edited by stratman70 - 2018/10/25 06:44:06

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1