I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU

Author
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
2018/10/21 00:53:49 (permalink)

I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU

Long time lurker, first time post of an original song.
It's actually a Cakewalk project from a "few" years back, and I've been trying to update the mix using some new mix toys and samples that are now available for the drums and bass . . . the electric guitars are from an original live performance.
Let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/us...0/i-thought-i-knew-you

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

10 Replies Related Threads

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU 2018/10/21 02:22:10 (permalink)
    I like it! a very fun song and the arrangement is musically something that holds interest big time.

I thought of comparisons like Joe Jackson, Nik Kershaw, even Elvis Costello.

I absolutely love that the song has seemingly eight different parts that come and go.

The guitar work is really stellar, but mixed a bit back relative to the bass, which for how midrangey the bass is presented, kind of competes with and at times overshadows the excellent guitar work. I'd be tempted to put more 100hz back in the bass, cut some of the upper  mids out of the bass, and boost those spangly guitars up a bit.

All of that being said, I totally get that if you are shooting for Joe Jackson style, early 80's? then the bass as presented is totally appropriate with that midrange percolating groove. It's very well played.

Is the intro too long? I was waiting for the vocal. The first time, I thought the intro was too long. But the second listen didn't bother me as much. Go figure.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum! Many happy returns! Really great song.

-Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU 2018/10/21 02:46:11 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul
    I like it! a very fun song and the arrangement is musically something that holds interest big time.

I thought of comparisons like Joe Jackson, Nik Kershaw, even Elvis Costello.

I absolutely love that the song has seemingly eight different parts that come and go.

The guitar work is really stellar, but mixed a bit back relative to the bass, which for how midrangey the bass is presented, kind of competes with and at times overshadows the excellent guitar work. I'd be tempted to put more 100hz back in the bass, cut some of the upper  mids out of the bass, and boost those spangly guitars up a bit.

All of that being said, I totally get that if you are shooting for Joe Jackson style, early 80's? then the bass as presented is totally appropriate with that midrange percolating groove. It's very well played.

Is the intro too long? I was waiting for the vocal. The first time, I thought the intro was too long. But the second listen didn't bother me as much. Go figure.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum! Many happy returns! Really great song.

-Tom

This

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

HarryC
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re: I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU 2018/10/21 08:03:55 (permalink)
    This song has drive, i like it. Indeed the bass is overrepresented but i like the sound.
    The song gives such a carefree feeling as if everything is beautiful in the world :)

Harry
    Fujitsu Q920, 16 GB RAM DDR3, i7-4785T, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, WIN10 x64 Pro, NI Komplete Audio 6 Interface, Sonar Platinum Lifetime (last Update)

Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU 2018/10/21 14:20:20 (permalink)
    I can't disagree with the other posters

nice work on the vocals

nice arrangement, not just a thrown together mish mash

a step above the rest

I hope you have more of these to post

I didn't realize it was this long, but not really a problem because it is so nice and the changes keep it fresh
    noynekker
    Re: I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU 2018/10/21 16:16:37 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the great and positive feedback.
    My current studio space isn't a properly tuned room, so the bass probably isn't balanced. It's always been the hardest part of mixing for me, getting that low bass right. I think I'll try emeraldsoul's suggestion and try a mix version with more 100hz bass, and less mid range bass.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU 2018/10/21 18:28:08 (permalink)
    Outstanding song with great vocal and instruments. Totally professional sound.
    Top notch arrangement too - all the sections blend into each other well. 

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU 2018/10/23 03:54:41 (permalink)
    Wow! Just fantastic in every way. What a gem.

Bill
    thegaltieribrothers
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 319
    Re: I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU 2018/11/14 15:18:27 (permalink)
    Great song and performance.

Love the vocals.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

paul
    Mannynyagain
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 140
    Re: I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU 2018/11/14 15:29:52 (permalink)
    Very, very nice. Solid driving sound - a bit of Squeeze to my ears. Vocal is terrific and the arrangement keeps you interested all through. Bass heavy but in a good way. Great job.

Hello from New York
    My Music 
    noynekker
    Re: I THOUGHT I KNEW YOU 2018/11/18 04:17:01 (permalink)
    Thanks to all of you again, I really appreciate such positive feedback, especially since I posted this 4 weeks ago.
    It makes me feel comfortable to share more of my work online, which I haven't done much in the past.

A lot of comments about the bass, and how it really drives the feel of the song . . . I'm just trying to duplicate what my bass player did years back, the bass is actually orange tree samples "cherry bass" . . . it replicates the way it was originally played with a palm muted punchy staccato idea, kind of like a low end picked guitar.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1