Helpful ReplyChange tempo on audio (vocals) - how?

Author
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
2018/10/24 09:24:26 (permalink)

Change tempo on audio (vocals) - how?

I finished a project but now want to change the tempo from 125bpm to 130bpm.  Drums and other instruments are from MIDI so all is ok there.

But I'd done a lot of vocals, including painstaking three part harmonies, so I really don't want to re-record them.  I'm trying to change these vocal tracks to 130bpm from 125bpm and meeting no success whatsoever (despite the new Elastique enhancement).  I pick a clip and open Audio Snap, make sure the 'on' button is blue and my cursor is highlighting the clip.  I then click 'Clip Follows Project' and select Elastique Pro for both online and offline processing.  The result: the clip is ludicrously slow and completely out of time.  What am I doing wrong here??

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Change tempo on audio (vocals) - how? 2018/10/24 10:06:54 (permalink)
  1. I would export the vocals into a wave file (with the range starting and ending to an exact measure position) so that it includes all changes and automation to the vocals (but without FX-plugins?).
  2. Then copy the project,
  3. clean the vocal track,
  4. change the tempo to 130 bpm
  5. and re-import the vocal wave clip.
  6. Finaly, I would use "Process > Fit to Time" where I'd set "New Thru" to the defined measure ending (first you have to click on "Format" that you have MIDI measure time format).

... many years before ...
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Change tempo on audio (vocals) - how? 2018/10/24 10:10:02 (permalink)
Oh, I forgot to say that you have to select "Stretch Audio" in step 6. Then you can select whatever stretch type you want. I would choose "Radius Solo (Vocal)".

... many years before ...
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: Change tempo on audio (vocals) - how? 2018/10/24 10:16:36 (permalink)
Personally, and this won't be popular...but I would export out a master audio track at the bpm you've set it at, as well as your vocals...and then import these into Reaper...making sure you've set the correct tempo before hand. Then use Reaper's varispeed knob with the preserve pitch set to on. Then experiment to you get it right - there's probably a way to work it out mathematically because you're only trying to lower the bpm by 5 I think you said. Reaper does a pretty good job at preserving pitch when doing this type of processing - the timbre might alter slightly.

This might seem like a head****...but you see the issue is, Audiosnap was never designed to process whole files at once...someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Audiosnap works best if you cut the audio file into smaller sections and work with these.

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Change tempo on audio (vocals) - how? 2018/10/24 15:38:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Skyline_UK 2018/10/25 07:21:34
It's easy, you don't have to export/import anything. First, if you have a lot of vocal clips in a track, bounce them all into a single clip to make them easier to handle. Then: 

1. Slip-edit the beginning of each vocal track to the beginning of the song, and the end of each vocal track to a specific measure at 125 BPM (e.g., measure 70).
  2. Bounce the track to itself to make the track length extensions permanent.
  3. Change the tempo to 130 BPM, and slip-stretch the end of each vocal track to (for example) measure 70.
  4. Bounce the stretched track to itself to take advantage of the offline rendering.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Blogospherianman
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
Re: Change tempo on audio (vocals) - how? 2018/10/25 05:42:17 (permalink)
I personally start like Craig with bouncing each audio clip to a single clip (per track) that starts at zero. This makes the stretching process more reliable for me. Then i enable audio snap for those audio tracks, then enable Clip follows project (auto stretch option), For vocals I'll use Offline rendering with Radius solo vocal or Radius Mix if the vocal option yields any funkyness. Then I change the tempo(s) of the project. When I'm happy I bounce the clip to render the stretch.
I prefer this method because there are many times i might want multiple tempo changes and i like that the clips follow all of them. Haven't updated to the version with Elastique yet, but I will be soon and comparing algorithms. I've always had great results with the Radius algos though.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Change tempo on audio (vocals) - how? 2018/10/25 14:45:56 (permalink)
Skyline_UK
I finished a project but now want to change the tempo from 125bpm to 130bpm.  

If this statement is accurate, I would make the adjustment to an exported pre-master (like Ben mentioned above) and leave the project file alone. There are a load of WAV editors that will do this without issue, and if you are truly that deep into a project, it is always better to finish it in that format and adjust the pre-master. Tempo adjustment to a single wav file is simple, and easily repeated (just in case you want to adjust the project again in the future). Once you bake in edits, you will have to back-track further to adjust a mix than by working with the pre-master method.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
timboalogo
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: Change tempo on audio (vocals) - how? 2018/10/25 21:31:43 (permalink)
As an aside, I read that on Gilmour's "On an Island" in '06 Manzanera used Serato Pitch 'n Time in Pro Tools to speed up some of the boring tracks. Read about it here: https://www.soundonsound....-david-gilmours-island

If you ever need to go to sleep, try this album. Beautiful guitarist and songwriter (not a lyricist) but he needs Roger to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Timbo
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1