Helpful ReplyExporting CbB files to Studio One

Author
jlhawk
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 63
2018/10/26 12:52:14 (permalink)

Exporting CbB files to Studio One

I am working with a Demo of Studio One 4 and would like to be able to take a song done in CbB and wrestle it into Studio 1. I've exported wave files and imported them, which is fine for simple songs, but I have some complex tunes I'd like to do this with. CbB exports into OMF format, but I do not see that it's a viable option in S1. Has anyone done this, and what was the process you used? Not looking to Replace CbB completely, but think S1 would make a nice accompaniment for my studio. Thoughts or recommendation on other DAW's more compatible?

Gigabyte 970A-DS3, A4 8300, 16GB DDR3
Windows 10 Spring Creator Edition, fully patched
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Exporting CbB files to Studio One 2018/10/26 13:53:32 (permalink)
Unfortunately, exporting tracks as broadcast wave files is the only method that causes least grief, but this loses VST settings, etc.

If DAWs supported a universal format, life would be great, but that is not on the horizon. Alexey (AZSlow3) would be a better hope if only we can get him to fall in love with SO

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Wayfarer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 831
Re: Exporting CbB files to Studio One 2018/10/26 14:12:37 (permalink)
As far as I know, mettelus is right. Exporting wave files is the only way to do it. Not only is there not a universal wrapper for DAW's, but even wrappers made by the same company won't necessarily transfer to other products within that company line. Look at CW bun files for example. Bun files I made in CW Guitar Tracks Pro can't be opened by Bandlab even though they also use bun files. Industry standards can be a great thing. Wish we had more of them.

Bill
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Exporting CbB files to Studio One 2018/10/26 14:46:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wolfstudios53 2018/10/26 23:12:22
Yup, the only standards we have for this are the WAV and BWF formats.

If a track in your CbB project consists of many clips, you'll want to bounce them to a single clip before exporting. Rather than using BWF, I'd suggest simply starting every track at 00:00, even if they contain no data until minutes into the song. That way, when you import them into Studio One (or any other DAW) all you have to do is make sure they're all shoved up to 00:00 and you can be certain they'll all sync up properly.

Automation and effects cannot be transferred, but if you tell CbB to print fx on the bounce that won't be a problem. That also avoids issues with plugins that might not be available in the target DAW (e.g. ProChannel modules).

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: Exporting CbB files to Studio One 2018/10/26 15:48:59 (permalink)
And, for what it's worth my attempts to export in OMF were all total disasters.  I think it prefers midi only, but I'm not sure.  Try a few and see how it works for you.

Good luck with your project.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Exporting CbB files to Studio One 2018/10/26 19:24:20 (permalink)
I've got Studio One 4.1 Pro and exporting wav files is the only way I've found, too.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Exporting CbB files to Studio One 2018/10/26 19:26:22 (permalink)
mettelus
Alexey (AZSlow3) would be a better hope if only we can get him to fall in love with SO

That is not going to happened, at least not in predictable future and as long as things go as they do now.

Just to know what it is all about, I have installed free version of SO on a virtual machine... In the first minutes I have understood what can attract sonaries in it: heavy installation, immediate problems with audio ("the interface request rest every 3-5 seconds... ???" btw Sonar X2, Sonar X3, CbB and REAPER was always happy in that environment), "simple" interface. LOL.
But that is not my point. I have checked "song" format. And it is possible someone write a converter for more then just an audio (that part AATranslator has mastered for almost all DAWs and other programs). It looks more like XML form of also bloated to death CWP binary, I mean miles away from strait simple REAPER projects, but "doable". Good luck

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Exporting CbB files to Studio One 2018/10/26 19:26:22 (permalink)
Last year when we were all kicking the tires on alternate DAW's I fired up my copy of Cubase 5. I also later bought Mixbus for $20 and tried that.

So what I found worked for me. 
First thing is save my CWP as a MIDI file.
You simply open the Midi file in the other DAW. I found it harder than I expected to replace the default GM sounds with things like AD2 etc. I didn't like that I had to drag midi tracks to the new instrument tracks, but whatever. I soon sorted this out.
Then the audio was no big deal either for me as I almost always record from front to back. I can see there would be extra steps for those who chop stuff up a lot and have a 100 takes of guitar solos. Really a matter of drag and drop using a media browser directly from the CWP audio folder to a new audio track in the other DAW.
Any how the songs all sounded pretty much the same to me once I got all in place. But yes I was immediately missing Pro Channel. I found everything took longer but then I would assume that goes away as you figure out things.   

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

jlhawk
Re: Exporting CbB files to Studio One 2018/10/26 20:12:31 (permalink)
Thank you for the input everyone. I will sometimes start tracks at different times depending onthe song, so that will be challenging, but I should be able to line them back up on the other side... I had read somewhere Studio one uses a format called AAF, but I've not seen it used anywhere else... Standards would be a great thing...
post edited by jlhawk - 2018/10/27 14:56:59

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Exporting CbB files to Studio One 2018/10/26 21:23:48 (permalink)
I've always used multiple DAWs, so here's my perspective.

You need to pick ONE program as the "home" DAW. For example if SO4's Harmonic Editing is the reason why you want to use it, start the project in SO4. Take it as far as you can. Then export what you have as WAV files, bring them into CbB, and do the Cakewalk-specific stuff like mix with the Pro Channel's modules (e.g., Tape Emulation, Console Emulation), apply Vocal Sync, take advantage of Mix Recall, use plug-ins or instruments that are keyed to CbB, etc.

Another scenario is that with projects I start and finish in CbB, I'll export all the tracks as WAV files (including automation, rendered instruments, processing - the whole ball o' wax). I then bring these into SO4's Song page for the purpose of eventually doing renders to the Project page for mastering and album assembly. However, because all the tracks are in the Song page, if while mastering I think the kick or vocal should have come up more, or the bass needs just a tiny bit more EQ, or whatever, I can do those tweaks and "re-compile" the mix in the Project page.

Sometimes I get pretty detailed. For example, Digital Performer has some really cool guitar processors (one is sort of like a Boss SY300). I'll export just the guitar track from CbB or SO4, do the processing, render, and send it back to its program of origin. This may sound complicated, but the more you do it, the more you end up with a smooth, functional workflow. You also become very familiar with the export menu options!

For more details, check out "Transferring Files to Other Hosts" in The Huge Book of Cakewalk by BandLab Tips. I'd summarize the relevant section, but it's over 2,100 words so this post would go on forever...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
sock monkey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Exporting CbB files to Studio One 2018/10/27 03:31:33 (permalink)
Can you not "tool copy" any track into any DAW. I know it works into a Sound Forge and Wave Lab, but would it also not work into a DAW?? Hmmm. Where's Mr Cook? 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Exporting CbB files to Studio One 2018/10/27 12:52:03 (permalink)
jlhawk
Thank you for the input everyone. I will sometimes start tracks at different times depending onthe song, so that will be challenging, but I should be able to line them back up on the other side... I had read somewhere Studio one uses a format called AFF, but I've not seen it used anywhere else... Standards would be a great thing...

All that I would add is that once you have a transfered a few songs from Sonar to S1 by exporting broadcast waves then dragging them into S1 using its file browser ( you can drag multiple tracks at once to place them on consecutive tracks, or drag using the control command to place multiple waves on a single track) then executing the 'move to origin' command in the S1 file menu to place them at their correct location on the timeline, you will find it is a farly simple process. Then just copy over any eq and vst plugin settings to the appropriate tracks and you are good to go. I have transfered over 100 large projects now. Unlike Aszlow, I have not had a single problem or crash in over a year, which I find quite extraordinary. Well worth the effort in my experience.
To be fair though, Sonar was also stable on my system and I used it happily for a very long time. Just not that stable:)

AAF was the succesor to OMF, which is a bit long in the tooth now and never really took off. Pro tools, logic, digital performer and Studio One all read AAF format. It is far from perfect, nowhere near universal and in all likelyhood destined to follow OMF into obscurity, but better than nothing. It seems unlikely that CbB would introduce it, but I guess you never know.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
jlhawk
Re: Exporting CbB files to Studio One 2018/10/27 15:07:25 (permalink)
Again, Lots of great information. Bought the eBook Craig, and found it's on special from Reverb. I needed this anyway. Nice to have a reference on the software. Thanks for the explanation of OMF/AAF tenfoot. I wondered why I don't see OMF anymore. I did use it a few years back to get project files to someone who was mastering for me on the west coast. the process worked at the time, it's a shame it never got refined... Thank you every one...
Jackson

SuiteSpot
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Exporting CbB files to Studio One 2018/11/02 12:19:32 (permalink)
azslow3 has done a great job reading Sonar session files.
AATranslator can write the native SO .song format which means that it will convert almost anything (ProTools, OMF, AAF, etc) to Studio One but unfortunately we don't currently have the resources to invest in Sonar/CbB.
And for those that may be interested Sonar's OMF format allows stereo media to be referenced which actually contravenes the OMF specification which can cause grief for some other DAWs
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1