Helpful ReplyUpgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore

Author
Tripecac
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1702
2018/10/29 00:56:41 (permalink)

Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore

I recently bought a new desktop (running Windows 10), which is MUCH more powerful than the 8-year-old PC (running Windows 7) which I've been using for Sonar for years.

Today I tried out Sonar Platinum on the new computer.  I'm using the same gear and settings as on the old computer.

However, I get pops and clicks whenever soft synths play.  It sounds horrible.

I'm using ASIO, 256 buffers.  Latency is 5.8 msec, which is what I had on the old computer.  I've tried increasing the buffer size to 512 and 1024 but that doesn't eliminate the pops and clicks.  Reducing the ASIO buffers to 64 makes the pops a lot worse, though.

I've tried WDM/KS instead of ASIO but that results in BSOD.

Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
MIDI: (same)

tripecac.com
Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 01:09:31 (permalink)
You'd expect a more powerful computer to be less susceptible to dropouts. But that assumes everything's the same software-wise. Chances are you've got some unnecessary overhead happening that wasn't in the previous machine. For example, if your new computer has a Wi-Fi adapter, make sure it's disabled.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Tripecac
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 01:27:00 (permalink)
The new computer doesn't have a Wi-Fi card.  It also has far less software installed on it than the old computer (since it's only a couple weeks old).

I've also tried to plug the Scarlett into 3 different sets of USB ports (2.0, 3.1 Gen 1, 3.1 Gen 2) but that didn't seem to make a difference.

I ran LatencyMon (v 6.70) for a minute and there didn't seem to be any spikes.  Everything was green, in the lower 10% of the interface.  Values ranged from current (55 microsec) to highest measured (320 microsec).  Summary was "Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts").

tripecac.com
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

Tripecac
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 01:40:56 (permalink)
I downloaded and installed DPC Latency Checker as well.  All of the values are steady, hovering around 1,000 microseconds.  No spikes.  The summary says "This machine should be able to handle real-time streaming of audio and/or video data without drop-outs".

CPU: i7-8700 @ 3.20 GHz
RAM: 16 GB

tripecac.com

BRuys
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 192
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 01:51:45 (permalink)
Set your power plan  from "Balanced" to "High Performance".  This prevents the CPU throttling down, which I have found to cause audio glitches in Sonar on some systems.  If you don't want to change your entire power plan (you want your PC to sleep and HDDs to go to sleep when not in use), then at the very least, go to advanced settings and set both minimum and maximum processor state to 100%.

Let us know how you get on.
Tripecac
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 01:55:16 (permalink)
I created a new project, and added just one soft synth: Kontakt.  I loaded a bass patch, and then hit a chord.  As long as I hold down notes, I get period pops, about 3 a second.  pop pop pop pop pop....  And that's just one bass patch.

I then loaded a different soft synth (lounge lizard I think) and couldn't get any pops.

Do I need to configure something in Kontakt in order to get the pops to go away?

Also, I notice that Kontakt doesn't appear in my VST list in Sonar, despite my having defined the same paths for VST scanning.  Hmmm....

tripecac.com

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 02:16:19 (permalink)
Do you have a Windows 10 driver for your Scarlett 2i4? Make sure it is from Focusrite. Windows will install what it thinks will work. Check in System Devices to be sure. 

It might be a good idea if you were to list the processor and motherboard for your new system.  

Best
John
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 02:35:02 (permalink)
Is the focusrite interface the only audio device enabled in Windows?
Tripecac
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 04:54:24 (permalink)
Hi, thanks guys for your help!  I'm still trying to fix it but at least I have several things to try.

Here are some quick responses to your suggestions/questions:

1) I installed the "Focusrite USB ASIO Driver 4.36.5" driver from Focusrite, downloaded from this page: https://customer.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i4 -- Their site says that the Scarlett 2i4 is supported by Windows 10.  When I use the Device Manager to look at the driver properties for "Focusrite USB Audio" it says the Driver Version is 4.36.5.612, so it looks like the Focusrite driver is correctly installed.

2) The Focusrite is indeed the only audio device enabled in Windows.  I disabled the motherboard's Realtek audio and NVIDIA audio via the Device Manager.

3) Motherboard is ASUS PRIME H370-A and the CPU is an Intel Core i7 8700 (6 core) 3.2 GHz

4) I've been using the Scarlett for general audio for a couple weeks now, with no problems.  None of the games, podcasts, CDs, etc. gave me any problems.  The first dropouts I've heard were today, with Sonar.

5) My new computer's Plugin Layout in Sonar has lots of disabled/grey/missing items on the new computer, so I am having to manually re-create it.  While I'm at it, I'm installing some other non-Cakewalk, non-Native Instruments plugins I forgot to install earlier, like Addictive Drums, Addictive Keys, etc.  It will take me a while to get my plugins (and plugin layout) downloaded, installed, and configured on the new computer, so any further testing will need to wait until that's done.

6) I plan to test the same "problematic" Kontakt bass patch (mentioned earlier) in both Sonar and the standalone Kontakt 5 application.  This will let me get a better sense of whether it's Kontakt or Sonar (or the interaction of both) which is involved in the dropouts.

7) Question: Are there Kontakt settings that I should look at, in terms of reducing the chance of dropouts?  Or are all performance-related optimisations handled by Sonar and the ASIO driver?

8) I have changed the Power Plan to "High Performance", but have not re-tested yet (since my plugins are still re-installing). 

9) After I test "High Performance" I will try the "Optimise for Background Services" option.  I've done that on other computers before, but hadn't done it on this computer yet.

10) My old MIDI USB device (Edirol UM3-EX) does not work with Windows 10, so I've been using the MIDI ports on the Scarlett.  This is one change from the old setup.  Do you think by using the Scarlett as both a MIDI and Audio device is asking too much?  I can't imagine that MIDI is very demanding, though, compared to audio!

tripecac.com

Tripecac
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 04:59:03 (permalink)
Okay, the XLN plugins just finished installing, so I slipped in a quick test... and guess what... No dropouts!  I even lowered the latency to 128 buffers... and then even to 64 buffers... and still no dropouts.

I then changed the Power Plan back to "Balanced" and loaded up the project again.  Still no dropouts.

Jeesh.  So, I have no idea what "fixed" the dropouts, or whether they will come back.

I think the best thing I can do is keep setting up the plugin libraries.  The large number of missing/invalid VST plugin references is probably not helping!

tripecac.com

SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 05:22:25 (permalink)
One tip, especially after a bunch of installs, is to simply do a reboot. Sometimes, memory gets a bit hashed up with all that install activity and it may have an effect on audio operation and interaction. So, before throwing in the towel - try a clean boot first.

laudem Deo
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 05:47:47 (permalink)
Tripecac
Hi, thanks guys for your help!  I'm still trying to fix it but at least I have several things to try.

Here are some quick responses to your suggestions/questions:

1) I installed the "Focusrite USB ASIO Driver 4.36.5" driver from Focusrite, downloaded from this page: https://customer.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i4 -- Their site says that the Scarlett 2i4 is supported by Windows 10.  When I use the Device Manager to look at the driver properties for "Focusrite USB Audio" it says the Driver Version is 4.36.5.612, so it looks like the Focusrite driver is correctly installed.

2) The Focusrite is indeed the only audio device enabled in Windows.  I disabled the motherboard's Realtek audio and NVIDIA audio via the Device Manager.

3) Motherboard is ASUS PRIME H370-A and the CPU is an Intel Core i7 8700 (6 core) 3.2 GHz

4) I've been using the Scarlett for general audio for a couple weeks now, with no problems.  None of the games, podcasts, CDs, etc. gave me any problems.  The first dropouts I've heard were today, with Sonar.

5) My new computer's Plugin Layout in Sonar has lots of disabled/grey/missing items on the new computer, so I am having to manually re-create it.  While I'm at it, I'm installing some other non-Cakewalk, non-Native Instruments plugins I forgot to install earlier, like Addictive Drums, Addictive Keys, etc.  It will take me a while to get my plugins (and plugin layout) downloaded, installed, and configured on the new computer, so any further testing will need to wait until that's done.

6) I plan to test the same "problematic" Kontakt bass patch (mentioned earlier) in both Sonar and the standalone Kontakt 5 application.  This will let me get a better sense of whether it's Kontakt or Sonar (or the interaction of both) which is involved in the dropouts.

7) Question: Are there Kontakt settings that I should look at, in terms of reducing the chance of dropouts?  Or are all performance-related optimisations handled by Sonar and the ASIO driver?

8) I have changed the Power Plan to "High Performance", but have not re-tested yet (since my plugins are still re-installing). 

9) After I test "High Performance" I will try the "Optimise for Background Services" option.  I've done that on other computers before, but hadn't done it on this computer yet.

10) My old MIDI USB device (Edirol UM3-EX) does not work with Windows 10, so I've been using the MIDI ports on the Scarlett.  This is one change from the old setup.  Do you think by using the Scarlett as both a MIDI and Audio device is asking too much?  I can't imagine that MIDI is very demanding, though, compared to audio!

I think its pretty clear that you are doing all the right things. I don't think you will have any more troubles. 
You also picked the right processor.  I have the same one in mine. 

Best
John
Jimbo 88
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1828
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 13:29:37 (permalink)
I know this is going to sound weird, but I'm convinced sometimes software needs to learn it's environment. So things that crash/malfunction a lot in the beginning start to work fine after a while. Especially when there are many 3rd party apps involved.  I'm sure that there are reasons for this that are beyond my understanding, like buffer memory getting set up. That and a couple of reboots help also.

My point is, I've experienced what happened here many times, where things just started working.   And yes Kontact has it's own settings (buffer) you might want to adjust.

Cakewalk By Bandlab
Cubase 9.5 Pro
Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
Behringer FCA 1616
Sweetwater Creation Station

Wayfarer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 831
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 14:29:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2018/10/29 14:46:40
Regardless of whether or not the problem comes back, it's always best with any computer to go into:

Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services

Stop anything from "Automatic" start that doesn't need to be. Usually change it to "Manual" rather than "Disable". For instance, anything having to do with your scanner/printer, anything having to do with iPod and so on.

Control Panel / Administrative Tools / System Configuration

Uncheck anything unnecessary such as anything made by Adobe, iTunes, Quicktime, Java Updater, and again printer / scanner subprograms. This won't stop any of those things from working, but it will stop their subprograms from running constantly. They aren't necessary and will only hurt performance. This latest version of iTunes can be especially bad when it comes to disrupting wave recording.

Also look under the "Services" tab in Sys Config and uncheck anything there that's similar as the above.

And of course disable system sounds. They will usually run at a different resolution that what you're recording with and this causes conflicts. And needless to say, get rid of all the fancier stuff on your desktop display. I wrote this for Windows 7, but I imagine most of it holds for 10 as well.

https://yahoobuckaroo.blogspot.com/2011/03/adjusting-desktop-display-for-best.html

Bill
StarTekh
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2007
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 15:02:06 (permalink)
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/PRIME-H370-A/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Version 0904 2018/09/29
https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/PRIME-H370-A/HelpDesk_Download/
Version 10.1.17695.8086 2018/09/266.85 MBytes
Chipset
Chipset_V10.1.17695.8086_20180702_WHQL

The above are key to a good running system !

msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Upgraded to new computer, getting pops and clicks galore 2018/10/29 17:29:33 (permalink)
Inside Kontakt you will want to go to the Engine tab and set the CPU overload protection (by killing voices).  I use "relaxed" but you might want to try the other options.  If Kontakt is killing voices it will make pops and clicks.  You can also change the number of voices an instrument uses max on the instrument itself.  For lots of commercial products the settings are too low and will cause lots of pops and clicks (Project SAM instruments, I'm talking about you!).  For Multiprocessor support set it to as many cores as you have.

-Matt

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1