Session Drummer3 notes in X3 Studio

Author
Agentcalm
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 257
2018/10/29 18:11:30 (permalink)

Session Drummer3 notes in X3 Studio

Hey folks
I need to swap around the hi hat and the snare. Im doing this because I use an Md-90 electronic drum kit to trigger session drummer 3  and the MD90 by default has the snare and hi hat  in a poor position.  Reversing them puts the hi hat in the more natural position of left of the snare.
Here's my problem.  In session drummer, I found a nice snare sound i want to use.  Ive assigned this sound to the hi hat icon (as that will be the snare) but the sound is wrong.  Ive noticed where the problem might be but i dont know how to fix it.    If i right click on the hi hat icon i have two options...Load instrument and unload instrument.  This allows me to browse for the sound i want and load it.        But i also see other other options.   Im seeing
Note - 22 : CLHHDD
Note - 26: Oph Hedd
Note - 42: blah blah
Note - 44:blah blah
Note - 46: blah blah
It looks like the icon is assigned to notes in PRV which is preventing the snare sound i want.   The snare sound in PRV is up on key 55.  And its name is Splash.
Can i assign that hi hat icon to say
Note - 55: Splash  ???? 
Thanks guys.  

Southern kin y'all 

8 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Session Drummer3 notes in X3 Studio 2018/10/29 18:25:03 (permalink)
    You can use a drum map to point one note to an alternate.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Session Drummer3 notes in X3 Studio 2018/10/29 18:30:13 (permalink)
    The notes/pad/name relationships in Session Drummer are hard coded. A drum map can work but it may help to know how are the sounds loaded into Session Drummer? Using a predefined program/kit, custom sfz files or individual samples via drag and drop? If it is a factory program or kit, what is its name?
    Agentcalm
    Re: Session Drummer3 notes in X3 Studio 2018/10/30 21:56:19 (permalink)
    The predefined kits basically put the snare as it looks in the S Drummer window.  It doesnt seem to want to be switched to the hi hat icon.  Shame those notes are hard coded.  I've tried dragging the notes in PRV up to the desired key number but it's not very accurate.  The notes dont drop in exactly the same location so the timing goes out.   My only option might be to put the MD90 back to its original setting and forget about the hi hat for the moment.
    I'll add the hi hats in later maybe using a keyboard to trigger them.
    I've no idea how to use drum maps. Ive tried several times to read up on these but its not making sense to me at all. 
    By the way, yes, Session drummer drums can be assigned by dragging a drum sound directly onto the drums icon.  and the weird thing is...Ive no problem assigning kick, toms.   It seems to be just this swapping the snare for the hi hat that is causing me grief.    But thanks for reply bro.  Appreciate your time and help. 

Southern kin y'all 
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Session Drummer3 notes in X3 Studio 2018/10/30 22:37:42 (permalink)
    Session Drummer has no idea what sound samples make. Any sound may be loaded into any slot in the synth. There are two ways sounds are loaded
    1) Drag and drop - Session Drummer uses one sample per pad. The sample is triggered by any of the hard coded notes associated with the pad.
    2) Sfz files - using sfz files it is possible to load any sample or group of samples. Spend a little time with a simple sfz changing the notes (the key tags in an sfz file) to move the instrument samples around the kit. After change a key tag, load up the sfz and notice where the samples play. If you use Session Drummer much, learning sfz basics can be very useful. There are a lot of sfz files bundled with Session Drummer.

The other way is leave Session Drummer along and remap the notes using a drum map or change the notes sent by the hardware.
    Agentcalm
    Re: Session Drummer3 notes in X3 Studio 2018/10/31 21:01:44 (permalink)
    I might have a look at sfz.  Assuming i can find a good snare sound with that extension.  As i havent a clue about drum maps no matter how much i try to read about them..ill leave the map option aside.
    However, I might have an easier fix.  I didnt know this existed but i read it on another forum that there is a midi FX plug in called a transposer.   It has a TO and FROM option in its window.   I've added in this effect and from what i can make out, you can move a C3 for example to an A2 (whatever you want).     I managed to figure how to change the view of PRV to show the keyboard (black and white keys) on the left hand pane instead of pad names.  Armed with this I should be able to transpose those snare to notes from the current F3 to the desired note number. 

Southern kin y'all 
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Session Drummer3 notes in X3 Studio 2018/10/31 21:42:56 (permalink)
    Yes, a custom map in Transpose MFX can work too. I suppose most think drum map when creating a translation table because it has the ability to associate note names with the map. Transpose MFX offers no way to associate note names with the custom map, although; it is possible to create custom note names in Master.ins.
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Session Drummer3 notes in X3 Studio 2018/10/31 22:11:19 (permalink)
    What note number is the MD90 sending from the pad that you're using as your snare? A quick glance at the MD90 manual shows you can change that. As others have said, if you've loaded the snare to the Hi Hat position, any of the note numbers 22, 26, 42, 44, 46 should trigger that sound. You just need to set the MD-90 to send one of those note numbers from the desired pad.

I'm not sure how the sound you want ended up on note 55 (associated with the first pad on the 4-way pad in SD3), but if that's what you want, just set the MD-90 to send that note number.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Session Drummer3 notes in X3 Studio 2018/10/31 22:36:14 (permalink)
    The most simple solution to a miss match between a Drum kit and playback with any VST drummer is... Do not trigger the VST while recording drums.
    Monitor the drum kit Brain and focus on a good performance. 

Hi Hats can be multi samples and are integrated into the foot pedal positions of the kit.
    Pre sets in some VST's like AD2 have a whole range of notes assigned just to the hi hats.  

Once your happy with the performance you can easily edit the midi data to match the VST kit.
    Make sure snap to grid is on when you drag the notes up or down.
    You can move all the notes of any value but selecting them using the left side bar keyboard GUI. Clicking the note on the GUI  will highlight all the notes of that value. Now simply drag up or down to the note value that matches the correct sound.

Session Drummer for the most part is GM compatible so pretty simple to use. You might want to read the manual for your drum kit to see if it can be set to GM mode, My Yamaha kit can be mapped.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1