Sonar, File Structure, and Plug-ins

Author
BbAltered
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
2018/11/02 18:24:00 (permalink)

Sonar, File Structure, and Plug-ins

Hello.  So thanks to the help of the folks on this forum, I was able to successfully download and install Cakewalk by BandLab (CWbBL) yesterday (everything worked without any problems - yeah!).  So now, my Win 7 studio computer has my old copy of CW Sonar X2 on it, and the most recent version of CWbBL. 

When a plug-in allows it, I install it into a dedicated plug-in folder on my C: drive (C:/Music/VSTplugins on my computer).  I do this to try and keep things organized and where I can easily find them.  I have a copy of Z3TA+2 that I bought from CW.  The Z3TA+2 installer does not allow the user to choose the install location, so my copy of Z3TA+2 is now located at C:/Program Files/Cakewalk/Z3TA+2.  Within that folder are three Z3TA+2 sub-folders (Resources, Arpeggios, and Documentation). However, the Z3TA+2.dll file is located at C:/Program Files/Cakewalk/VstPlugins/Z3TA+2 - this folder contains two files: Z3TA+2_64.dll and Z3TA+2_64 application) 

In addition, there is a folder named Z3TA+2 located at C:/Program Files/Common Files/VST3/  Within that folder is one file named Z3TA+2_64.vst3 

If I open the CWbBL Plug-in Manager, under VST Instruments it points to C:/Program Files/Cakewalk/VstPlugins/Z3TA+2/Z3TA+2_64.dll; under VST3 Instrument, it points to C:/Program Files/Common Files/VST3/Z3TA+2_64.vst3.

So this is confusing, right?  Where possible, I would like to remove unneeded and duplicate files and organize related files together in one place. 

Can I move the files Z3TA+2_64.dll and Z3TA+2_64.vst3 to my dedicated plug-in folder at C:/Music/VSTplugins?  Will CWbBL be able to find them there?  Can I move the Z3TA+2 folder that contains the resources and arpeggio files to my dedicated Cakewalk folder (where I try and keep other CW-related files) and still have Z3TA+2 locate necessary resources and arpeggios?

Special Bonus Question: what is the difference between VST2 and VST3?  Does that concern me the user or only people who code VST plug-ins?

Thanks for your help; sorry for the super-nerdy and boring question.

5 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Sonar, File Structure, and Plug-ins 2018/11/02 18:34:58 (permalink)
    As a rule plug-in binaries may be moved to any folder. Keep in mind, the VST3 spec calls for the plug-ins to be installed in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3." CbB does not care where VST3 plug-ins are installed but other programs are not so forgiving. The VST2 spec is silent regarding install location.

I don't mess with moving support files and do not recommend it. It may be possible to move Z3ta+2 support files, make sure the registry is updated appropriately. I believe the relevant area is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\z3ta+\2.0. A safer alternative is a directory junction. It allows moving directory trees to alternate locations (including alternate drives) without having to make registry changes. Directory junctions are made using the command line utility mklink. The syntax is mklink /j junctionName realFolderLocation. There are some lengthy discussions with examples of how to create junctions on the forum. Use Google to search for site:forum.cakewalk.com mklink
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Sonar, File Structure, and Plug-ins 2018/11/03 16:26:52 (permalink)
    For years I battled vendor defaults in the name of file system tidiness and conservation of valuable C: space. And often lost those battles when software didn't work right or I ended up with multiple copies of the same plugin.

Ultimately, I surrendered that fight. Nowadays, I accept defaults for everything. It has greatly simplified things. Dupes still happen, such as when an installer doesn't give you the option of VST2 vs VST3 and drops both into place. But Cakewalk (mostly) transparently handles that by favoring the VST3 version. It still annoys me on an OCD level, having stuff scattered all about, but letting it happen is still easier than trying to enforce my own organization.

Because my C: drive is smaller than the other four disks, I don't want a lot of large files there that don't need to be there. The solution, as Steve notes above, is symbolic links. This allows me to physically locate large sample libraries wherever they make the most practical sense, without contradicting instruments' assumptions about where those files reside. All of my libraries, including Cakewalk, Spectrasonics, Superior Drummer and Kontakt are on drive E:, which is dedicated to samples. Someday I'll add an SSD for that role, and it'll be a seamless upgrade - I'll just copy everything over and designate the SSD as E:. But all the while Rapture, Kontakt, Omnisphere, etc. will be happily oblivious to where those files actually exist. As far as they're concerned, they're still on C:. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Sonar, File Structure, and Plug-ins 2018/11/03 16:34:21 (permalink)
    I found that when I started using the 240 GB SSD for my C drives that everything fit without a problem. But I'm only using the default Cakewalk stuff plus a bunch of the Air VST's. I know 240 GB might not be enough if you have a lot of 3rd party VST's. But like Bit I stopped fighting install pathways and leave the defaults alone now. 

Example of issues is I had Dim Pro install the libraries to my E drive and that worked fine until a Widows 10 update ( it would seem) broke that connection. Only solution was to re install Dim Pro and try again using the default to my C drive this time. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

BbAltered
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 137
    Re: Sonar, File Structure, and Plug-ins 2018/11/03 17:12:47 (permalink)
    Thank you all for your helpful replies.  Bitflipper - I am glad you have some understanding of my desire/need to organize my system drive - I understand I am swimming against the tide with this.

SCook - so if I understand you correctly, I can move the binary file of VST3 Z3TA+2 and CWbBL will still be able to see it - correct?.  Do I need both a VST2 and a VST3 version of Z3TA+2?  I suppose in the event I am using a plugin host that does not support the VST3 standard?  Thank you for suggesting directory junctions - I will do some research.

Thanks again.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Sonar, File Structure, and Plug-ins 2018/11/03 17:51:44 (permalink)
    CbB will use the plug-in as long as the scanner can find it in the scan path.

There is no need to have both VST2 and VST3 plug-ins unless you encounter a host that does not support one of the formats.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1