Plank Eye

Author
superdan54
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 526
2018/11/05 17:54:34 (permalink)

Plank Eye

Hi all,

Just uploaded my first new track in a while. It's something of a rockgrass type tune...banjos & distortion in disharmony. Also, just a fair warning it's a little political/religious in nature in case you are turned off to those sorts of things. The title refers to the verse that points out the hypocrisy of calling out a speck on someone's eye, when we have a plank in our own.

Overall, I like the song but am not super impressed with my mix. Part of the problem is that I just have too much going on. I play a ton of instruments and like to incorporate them, but finding that little niche of sonic space for each seems to elude me. If anyone has any advice or even criticism of the mix I'd definitely love to hear it. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/one-man-dan-band/plank-eye

10 Replies Related Threads

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Plank Eye 2018/11/06 03:02:00 (permalink)
    I'm into this. Here's a few mix ideas, don't know what you've tried. First off, 
    I assume your overbaked compression vocals are intentional, in the in-your-face slightly distorted style? I'd say they work that way, and sound nice against the clean background vocals. But the sacrifice is clarity and therefore lyric intelligibility. So look around at what other instruments you can drop in volume so that there's less competition for the vocals.

That for me would be the drier picked banjo / mandolin lines, and the cymbals / hihats. Justa half a db off of those. For me around :30 that mandy is too loud. It's a nice part though.

I really like your combo of rock funk folk. I'd compare to Blues Traveller or suchlike.

Just after 1:06, that chorus's lyrics are hard to pick out. But during the verses, it's much easier.  2:14, those violin? parts offer direct competition with the vocal.

The whole piece has a wonderfully live feel, the parts are excellent and well-conceived. Main vocal performance I think is really great. 

An experiment might be to kill the violin part, and see what happens? Or whack 2 db off?

Just some thoughts, worth what you paid for them . . . others will have more. Really great tune here.

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    Mannynyagain
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 140
    Re: Plank Eye 2018/11/06 13:17:29 (permalink)
    A bit heavier and darker than what I usually listen to, but I like it. Lots of little surprises and several melodic variations. I get a kick out of the string sections - busy yes, but a nice bit of nuttiness in the middle of all this. It’s a pretty dense mix but it sounds intense and that’s in keeping with the lyrics. Good stuff.

Hello from New York
    My Music 
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Plank Eye 2018/11/06 15:37:27 (permalink)
    All good advice from Tom, nothing I can add will keep the furry ears out for any possible remix.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Plank Eye 2018/11/06 16:38:32 (permalink)
    I like this a lot - great energy
    superdan54
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 526
    Re: Plank Eye 2018/11/07 01:53:25 (permalink)
    Wow, thanks so much for the comments & advice! Tom, I applied pretty much every one of your suggestions, amazing what a small nudge of the fader here and there can do for a mix. Anyway, soundcloud sucks and won't let me upload a new version so I'm going with bandcamp instead. Still a little crowded, but I think better than before. I'll post the updated mix below. Thanks again!

http://onemandanband.bandcamp.com/track/plank-eye

bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: Plank Eye 2018/11/07 02:56:13 (permalink)
    I really like the calm voice/angry voice changeups you have going. I'm still having trouble with lyric intelligibility on the 2nd version, although it is better than the 1st.  And saying that, I hope it's not just me who's having problems. If it is, then never mind what I just said. My hearing ain't what it used to be...

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: Plank Eye 2018/11/10 01:13:03 (permalink)
    I love this song and style very much.  I like the density of the mix, but as others have said, the vocals need to come up a few db's.  That's all I would change.  This is a pure gem!

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Johnbee58
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 946
    Re: Plank Eye 2018/11/10 03:20:14 (permalink)
    I take it the over compressed lead vocal is intended so I won't pick on it.  It's actually quite effective in a protest song.
    Great instrumentation and arrangement with the acoustic and electric instruments together.  I never heard of Rockgrass before, but I like what you have here.

John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
    NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
    thegaltieribrothers
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 319
    Re: Plank Eye 2018/11/10 04:13:09 (permalink)
    More banjo plucking please.

Good job!
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Plank Eye 2018/11/28 20:16:00 (permalink)
    Late top the party, but...  I really liked this!  Your vocal performance was really good, and the blend of disparate instruments was just great - so weird yet so right.  

Mix-wise I think the panned instruments are still just a touch loud in spots, but otherwise I enjoyed the density.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1