Interview With Cool Edit / Adobe Audition Creator - David Johnston

Author
Wayfarer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 831
2018/11/06 18:07:27 (permalink)

Interview With Cool Edit / Adobe Audition Creator - David Johnston

He started out with Microsoft and is working for them again these days. We exchanged some emails about a decade ago, and he was very generous, allowing me to distribute Cool Edit 2000 wave editor on my old music website (I don't have one anymore) after he went to work for Adobe. Turns out they only bought Cool Edit Pro, but not the wave editor, so he said I could feel free to just give the software away to people. Heck of a nice guy, and no offence to Cakewalk, but I've always thought CEP was the best DAW software out there and certainly the best wave editor. Audition was even better at first but went downhill after the 1.5 version in my opinion.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/mikerussell/aap25

4 Replies Related Threads

bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: Interview With Cool Edit / Adobe Audition Creator - David Johnston 2018/11/06 23:44:24 (permalink)
    I still have my Cool Edit Pro v1.1 disk!  Loved the program, hated the name.

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re: Interview With Cool Edit / Adobe Audition Creator - David Johnston 2018/11/08 00:53:29 (permalink)
    Wayfarer,

Thanks for this, and you assessment of the progression of the program is about gospel.

When Cool Edit Pro came out, I think I wandered around in the streets for about a week in a blissed out fog.
    Holy s**t.  Multi tracks audio recording and can even put a parametric eq on every channel. Feast of cool internal effects.

Was hard on waiting for any Syntrillium updates because these guys were on the hi end of the bell curve and delivering something impossible elsewhere.

Then the big crash. Adobe bought them out and rebranded Cool Edit Pro to Adobe Audition 1.0. Rage at the time because the installer bloated up to 25 mg with no benefit. Just now Adobe property.

Completely agree with your assessment that Audition 1.5 was the end of the line before things got forked up with bugs. Audition 2 a disaster. Audition 3 trying to fix or eliminate the crap done by ver 2.

Ancient technology but still use Audition 1.5 for wav editing.

Tragedy what Adobe did to a bright light in the sky.

John

Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: Interview With Cool Edit / Adobe Audition Creator - David Johnston 2018/11/08 13:54:42 (permalink)
    Frankly, the only reason I even upgraded to Audition was the fact that it had a video monitor feature so you could watch video in a corner of the program while scoring to it. I agree CE Pro / Audition has all the effects plugins anybody really needs. It's one weak spot is probably the compressor effect, which I can never seem to dial in just right. Or it could be the weak spot is between my ears.

Bill
    iRelevant
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re: Interview With Cool Edit / Adobe Audition Creator - David Johnston 2018/11/08 23:29:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link. Cool Interview :) Interesting story. 

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
    My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1