Author
Bassman002
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 321
2018/11/12 10:14:09 (permalink)

[Solved] Sudden crashes without notification

Hi:)

Never mentioned that: (Reproducable)

When I delete any Synth without deleting the corresponding track, on clicking on this track and try to delete it, it crashes without any notification.

When I try to bounce audio or try to mix tracks on a new track --> crash.

Tried to figure out which synth makes trouble, but it's not a special synth, I tried to delete them one by one and I come to a point where it doesn't crash anymore, at next time it's different, deleting any other synth will prevent crashing:(

So at the moment I can just bounce to tracks with an Aux Track, not a problem, it works, but don't know why these crashes are now. I even don't know since when, cause this is since a long time the first project with so many synths.

Projects with a lot of audio and plugins doesn't crash.

So I have a workaround for the problem but it would be nice if perhaps some one could confirm this first behaviour deleting the synth without deleting the correspondig track......

Thanks;)
Bassman.

post edited by Bassman002 - 2018/11/14 12:13:37

Cakewalk for DOS Shareware
Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
All Versions of Cakewalk
Sonar Platinum 64bit

9 Replies Related Threads

Moxica
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re: Sudden crashes without notification 2018/11/12 10:30:13 (permalink)
    Sounds like my situation before I changed power scheme to "High performance" in windows.
    Bassman002
    Re: Sudden crashes without notification 2018/11/12 10:52:31 (permalink)
    HI:)

@Moxica

Thanks, but I have "High Performance". I have this project in my Home PC, so I try it in my Studio PC downstairs, the Home PC is a bit older and slower, but CPU is not overloaded........

Bassman.

Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
    All Versions of Cakewalk
    Sonar Platinum 64bit
    promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: Sudden crashes without notification 2018/11/13 07:27:09 (permalink)
    What have you tried so far?

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    Bassman002
    Re: Sudden crashes without notification 2018/11/13 11:21:29 (permalink)

I've tried to freeze synths, but no effort:(  

Next I'm trying the same project on my studio PC.

I've first started from Track 1 to the last track and deleted the synths one by one and tried to bounce the whole project to a new track. Deleted all untli I have only 2 Tracks with Guitar Rig on it and this crashes too:(

So next I deleted these 2 Guitar Tracks, from the last track to the first, until I last with AD2 and still it crashes on bouncing.

No matter which synths I delete, I can't bounce or export audio with synths. 

I'll make a new project just with 1 synth and test it.......

Bassman.

Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
    All Versions of Cakewalk
    Sonar Platinum 64bit
    Bassman002
    Re: Sudden crashes without notification 2018/11/13 11:25:52 (permalink)
    HI again:)

Just made a new Standard Project with 3 synths and it doesn't crash on bouncing.
    Perhaps I copy everything in this new project, one by one synth at look which one does crash....
    This needs some time.......

Bassman.

Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
    All Versions of Cakewalk
    Sonar Platinum 64bit
    Bassman002
    [Solved] Sudden crashes without notification 2018/11/14 09:40:18 (permalink)
    Bassman.Hi:)

So I got the error:

Made a new project and dragged the original project into it. Then I made Track templates one by one from the Original and insterted them to the new project file. As soon I Track inserted SWAM Flute, it crashes at bouncing!

OK, I go back to the original File, deleted the SWAM Tracks and Synth -->> sudden Crash:(
    Now that was tricky:)  I then started again, deleted the SWAM Tracks and Synth, at first ended Cakewalk, started again and finally did a bounce -->  Voilà, no crashes anymore!!
    Obviously did ending Cakewalk finally delete the synth, don't know, but that was the answer.

So no Prob, I freezed the SWAM Flute --> start bouncing --> crash

So I freezed the SWAM Flute --> copied the audio to a new audio track, deleted the SWAM Tracks and synth, started over after saving, tried to bounce --> no crashes anymore!

Haleluja, 2 hours lost with that Synth, sounds beautiful, but obviously doesn't work with cakewalk bouncing....

What I learned - Do a Track template doesn't save the Automation with it, I have to copy the Automation Lanes from the old project file, but the Lane Names are not copied with them, they stay at A1 --> A32 for my project, but directed correctly to AD2.

Greetz;)

Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
    All Versions of Cakewalk
    Sonar Platinum 64bit
    Steev
    • Total Posts : 314
    Re: [Solved] Sudden crashes without notification 2018/11/14 14:09:52 (permalink)
    Sounds like it could a system problem. Could be virus protection software?

Too many operations and services running in the background?

Bottle necking caused by not enough or good enough or mismatched RAM memory card sticks which can't be run in "Duel Channel" mode which your motherboard was designed for and needs to run in for maximum performance efficiency?
     Not enough CPU power or not enough buss speed, or not enough or ill configured bargain basement RAM maybe OK for running Microsoft Office and streaming video from the internet, but in my experience ANY one of these conditions always been high on the list of trouble makers causing "computer brain farts" if you will, that happen at the most inconvenient times when put under too much memory intensive pressure(s) which are easily compounded and intensified in the heat of the moments of inspiration of computer based digital content creation.

Is your audio/MIDI interface(s) to small, slow, old, and outdated to handle all these operations you're throwing at and through it?
     Are the ASIO drivers up to date and officially support the OS you are using? This has got to be the #1 most over looked trouble maker there is.
     I look back with great fondness that's very close to love at my beloved MOTU 8, M-Audio Delta 1010, and UAD FX card.. I would have NEVER orphaned either one of these truly awesome PCI audio devices, but the vendors orphaned them in favor of USB, than motherboard vendors orphaned PCI slots in favor of PCIe, than Intel and AMD each through in a couple of tweaks and fastballs than Microsoft tries to readjust and tweak to innovate and accommodate everyone and all to the point where computer configuration and memory management are nearly (and I use that word loosely) nearly automatic with the HERCULIAN task of trying to please everybody without hurting anyone.
    Nearly impossible because not all computer systems are the same, quite the contrary, and all software and hardware components are seldom all kept up to date...
     Are you using hacked USB drivers to run your 7 year old MIDI keyboard with Windows 10? Hmm? Trying to out smart and fool Windows? Do you believe ASIO4ALL are actually ASIO drivers?
     Well DON'T. ASIO4ALL might be OK for fooling your DAW into thinking the little sound chip built into your motherboard is actually a real standalone audio interface with it's own AD/DA converters and clock source, but nothing beats the real thing for the lowest latency and most stable  performance.
      Instead of using hacked drivers, try something simply unplugging the USB cable for your MIDI keyboard controller from your computer and plug it into a common cellphone charger for a power supply. Do not use a USB port from your computer to power the MIDI keyboard controller because Windows will forever search for drivers and cause unwanted latency and instability. Using a cellphone charger for a USB power supply stops that problem.
    Hook your MIDI keyboard controller  up to the computer with old school 5 pin MIDI cables, for trouble free operation that's been around for decades.
     Just make sure you change/configure the MIDI I/O ports on your MIDI keyboard controller from USB port to the standard 5 pin dyn port and you are good to go using Cakewalk's ACT for customized MIDI mapping settings.

Some of these DXi and VSTi synths, especially sample based VSti synths like Addictive Drums and Rapture Pro can use enormous amounts of not only system memory, but CPU cycles which it has to share with the OS and DAW and added audio plugins. Using 3rd party hardware and software like VST and VSTi plugins can and will ADD to the problems, especially if your DAW is not listed as specifically being supported by the 3rd party vendor.

But even with a highly tuned workstation with gobs of memory has it's limits, especially during mixing and editing sessions when trying out or tweaking different audio plugins, changing and swapping out VSTi plugins, and forgetting to "SAVE" your work every time you make a serious change or series of changes for too long is going to crash your DAW.

That being said, you don't have to bounce down synths with SONAR or CbB, simply "freeze" them and let the DAW do it for you.
     You can always simply "remove the audio track" from the synth's folder before deleting the synth, or copy and paste, or drag the audio track after freezing to another audio track that you have normally bounced to.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
    Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
    Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
    Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
    Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

Bassman002
    Re: [Solved] Sudden crashes without notification 2018/11/14 15:02:50 (permalink)

@Steev

Everything's fine now:)  Problem solved, I'll take another synth for that track.

I often have to bounce or export audio cause I'm working with a lyrics writer and often let him hear (upload him a wave in the cloud) what I have done so far and what I have to change in the melody especially.

So freezing is OK, but I like bouncing or exporting much more. The song is not finished yet and everything can change, even the Key, it is not definitely clear who is singing the song....

But thank you for this very long answer;)

Bassman.

Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
    All Versions of Cakewalk
    Sonar Platinum 64bit
    Steev
    • Total Posts : 314
    Re: [Solved] Sudden crashes without notification 2018/11/14 16:08:33 (permalink)
    @ Bassman, Your welcome bro, I'm just trying out my new EV RE320 mic with Dragon Naturally Speaking in my best "radio voice" and running down all possible known scenarios.. 
     Very nice and ultra versatile dynamic mic that performs like a condenser, BTW.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
    Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
    Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
    Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
    Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1