I could use some help with path assignment. (Still with ye old Splat)

Author
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
2018/11/15 19:44:02 (permalink)

I could use some help with path assignment. (Still with ye old Splat)

I'd like to record to an external hard drive. Is that possible? which path would I setup the path to go to the external drive.
To be clear. When I hit record I'm using the external as my recording drive as well as save my project files there.

EDIT: also any related info is always welcome and useful to me. :) 

Thanks You!
Dave

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019

6 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: I could use some help with path assignment. (Still with ye old Splat) 2018/11/15 19:58:58 (permalink)
    Changing "Project Files" in Preferences will cause SONAR to try to default to whatever path is entered when creating new projects. Keep in mind, SONAR checks this path when the program starts up and if it cannot be opened, SONAR will silently change "Project Files" in preferences back to the factory default "C:\Cakewalk Projects." This means if the external drive not not turned on before SONAR, expect to have to go into preferences and make the change again.

The good news is the "Project Files" setting does not matter much. All it does is default the new project path which may be overridden when creating new projects. While using per-project audio folders, projects may be created on any drive seen by the PC and the audio folder will be added underneath the project by default.

The only issue with an external drive is performance. Typically externals are not high performance drives. They are designed for backup and convenience. This means they are a little slow which may limit the number of audio tracks available to a project. Maybe buy the drive and the enclosure separately.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: I could use some help with path assignment. (Still with ye old Splat) 2018/11/15 23:06:07 (permalink)
    As Steve has pointed out external is not what I'd choose for my working drive. And as it is always super important to back things up you are much better off to record locally to your fastest, cleanest drive and then you can copy those files to the back up drive and transfer to another machine.

It is possible to have a SSD external drive on USB 3.0 which would be a good performer. 
    Then I would simply open the project and perform a "SAVE AS" to the external making sure to check copy audio with project.
    Point this at the external drive and now you will be working there.
    I do this now using One Drive so I can share files between 2 computers. This way the project is automatically updated on either machine once you boot up and it goes on line and one drive updates. This works real well with projects that are heavy on the midi side and light on audio. I don't think it would work with pure audio.

No matter where you have stored a file...
    Next time you start Sonar simply use the file menu and browse to it and open or it might also be on the quick list. 
    You can also open the Windows browser and go to the file where ever it was stored and open it from there. Make sure you set the correct version of Cakewalk as the Windows default for CWP files.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Unknowen
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1276
    Re: I could use some help with path assignment. (Still with ye old Splat) 2018/11/16 05:09:30 (permalink)
    scook
    Changing "Project Files" in Preferences will cause SONAR to try to default to whatever path is entered when creating new projects. Keep in mind, SONAR checks this path when the program starts up and if it cannot be opened, SONAR will silently change "Project Files" in preferences back to the factory default "C:\Cakewalk Projects." This means if the external drive not not turned on before SONAR, expect to have to go into preferences and make the change again.

The good news is the "Project Files" setting does not matter much. All it does is default the new project path which may be overridden when creating new projects. While using per-project audio folders, projects may be created on any drive seen by the PC and the audio folder will be added underneath the project by default.

The only issue with an external drive is performance. Typically externals are not high performance drives. They are designed for backup and convenience. This means they are a little slow which may limit the number of audio tracks available to a project. Maybe buy the drive and the enclosure separately.

Hey Scook, thanks for the info!
    Right now I have an ss drive for programs and a second non ss drive for files/projects. From what you are saying I've been having slow loading projects from the hard drive so I thought a external would be maybe better and faster. So maybe the best option is to get a faster internal drive for recording. But is the basic load issues it sonar being on the SS Drive loading from the D drive then another hard drive will have the same problem.
    I guess I may be better to get a larger SS Drive and run and save everything to that drive id the problem is with Splat.
    Just thinking out loud. lol

Peace!

Hay look,
    Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: I could use some help with path assignment. (Still with ye old Splat) 2018/11/16 13:18:28 (permalink)
    Get a Western Digital "Black" drive, or any operating at 7200rpm.
    I would NOT go external or SSD on my Audio drive.
    Projects load "slow"? More detail on your system and what's in your projects.
    ie: What VSTi are you using in the projects?
    Set your "Folders>Project Files" to your Audio drive (note that my Audio drive is A)

and "Audio Data>Global Audio Folder" like this: Same drive and folder

HTH,
    T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    Euthymia
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    Re: I could use some help with path assignment. (Still with ye old Splat) 2018/11/16 13:25:42 (permalink)
    11Dreams
    Right now I have an ss drive for programs and a second non ss drive for files/projects. From what you are saying I've been having slow loading projects from the hard drive so I thought a external would be maybe better and faster.

Your choice to stay with SONAR rather than upgrading to Cakewalk by BandLab and to store project files on an external drive are interesting. I was relieved to see that you hadn't also tried removing RAM from your system.

Cakewalk by BandLab: free, works the same but faster and stabler, and you still get to use everything that came with the SONAR suite, including SONAR if you need to for some reason

SSD: put your projects and virtual instrument libraries on these for top performance (also the best choice for system and programs)

Internal 7200RPM: also a good choice for projects, less expensive and slower than SSD

External drives: back up your system and data to these for safety and security

-Erik
    Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: I could use some help with path assignment. (Still with ye old Splat) 2018/11/16 14:11:09 (permalink)
    11Dreams
    I've been having slow loading projects from the hard drive so I thought a external would be maybe better and faster.

If this is the issue and your setup uses a 7200RPM HD for projects, the drive is probably not the cause.

On load, SONAR reads the project file, loads plug-ins, opens audio files and reads the audio images. It does not load the audio files themselves. They stream from disk.

Project files are usually pretty small, although; if they contain a lot of audiosnap data they can get pretty big and will load slow.

Sample based plug-ins can load slow depending on the size of the sample set being loaded and whether the plug-ins loads everything in memory at once. There are some reports of Waves plug-ins loading slow, check the forum for threads about this (I believe it may be related to recent Waves updates but I do not use Waves so don't pay much attention to their issues).

If the picture cache is too small or the project is larger than the cache, it can take some time to redraw the audio pictures.

It is pretty easy to tell if any of these are the problem by watching the project load except for project size. Check project size by comparing sizes of the cwp files using Windows Explorer.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1