Staff View Notation in Sonar X3

Author
jonel
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2018/11/16 16:10:05 (permalink)

Staff View Notation in Sonar X3

Hi All,
   I have just imported a song that was developed in Guitar Pro 7. Because Guitar Pro understands 8va and 8vb notation on the staff, I am able to place the guitar notes in a sensible place on the staff. However, when I import the midi file into Sonar the guitar notes are one octave lower and so are shown in the Bass Clef. Can I modify the staff so that the notes are shown one octave higher and on the Treble Clef? 

Thanks

Jonel

4 Replies Related Threads

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Staff View Notation in Sonar X3 2018/11/16 17:50:42 (permalink)
    You can adjust the treble/bass split point via Edit > Layout.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Staff View Notation in Sonar X3 2018/11/16 18:06:35 (permalink)
    Could Guitar Pro 7 use a different MIDI note value for middle C? If so, "Base Octave for Pitches" can compensate for that.
    michael diemer
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re: Staff View Notation in Sonar X3 2018/11/16 18:40:47 (permalink)
    I think you first need to determine the true or actual pitch of the notes. Obviously, you want the notes in the right places. Guitars have a huge range, so you really do need the treble/bass staff. So, when you have determined the true pitches, choose a treble/bass cutoff that results in the cleanest look.

Another option is to use two separate staves, one for treble and one for bass. Then you can put the notes where you want them, bass notes on the bass clef, treble on the treble clef, without having to worry about a cutoff, which unnaturally forces the notes to one or the other staves.

Of course, there are those few notes that fall between the two clefs, Bb, B, C, Db and D ( or A#, B, C,and C#, if you are in a sharp key). They can go where you want them, on either clef. I make the decision based on rhythmic groupings. It makes more sense to keep B or Bb on the bass clef if it's part of a group of 8th notes, or a tuplet figure.

Also, if for some reason the notes are incorrectly placed on either staff - for example, notes which belong on the treble clef are erroneously placed on the bass clef -  use the transpose feature to bring them up an octave to where they belong.

michael diemer
    Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
    32 GB ram
    1TB Western Digital Black X2
    Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
    UR22 interface
    Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
    GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

jonel
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Staff View Notation in Sonar X3 2018/11/16 18:53:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies. I was able to use the Clef to Octave Treble which did the job nicely. With regard to the setting of Guitar Pro middle C. Guitart Pro did allow me to put the Octave Clef on the staff and this solved my problem in the first place but the export of midi to Sonar did not take that information with (I'm not sure I would have really expected it to since it was only for the convenience of notation after all). The answer was to do the same in Sonar, it's just that I didn't know how to do it, but thanks to brundlefly I now can.

Thanks
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1