Helpful ReplyASIO/ Screen capture and CbB

Author
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
2018/11/17 04:46:18 (permalink)

ASIO/ Screen capture and CbB

I play in an Acoustic Duo and in the past to record my partner has to spend a lot of time at my place recording his parts. 
Now Cakewalk is free there's no reason he could not work at home. 
I've set up a laptop he had and will dump all the songs there once I finish my parts. I will lend him my Scarlett 6i6 as I don't use it anymore. 
So I though instead of sitting for hours showing him Cakewalk why not screen capture what I would have been showing him. 
Then he can refer back to this if he has questions. I'm using the laptop and the actual songs to do the capture so everything looks just like it will when he boots up. 

It was not easy to get to the point where this worked smoothly. First issue seems to be that age old issue with software that shares audio drivers with Cake.
I've been using Debut for recording my wife's on line seminars.  It was only $20, but it crashes under ASIO. 
 It would only work when I used the on board audio.
I tried a few headset mikes but they suck. And you could not hear the song playing in the capture which also sucks.

I Googled free Capture programs and the recommended one was called Camstudio. Dead simple and does not crash but still cannot hear the Projects audio playback. Also there is no way to get a proper level setting in Windows mixer. 

My solution so far is to use WASAPI and a small mixer to feed to the input of the on board audio of the laptop. 
This way I can use a good mike and set proper levels. 
Then  I route the laptop audio output into another mixer channel so I adjust playback level on the fly. 
The biggest bummer is I cannot show him anything regarding the Scarlett's in/out routing and more important how to use the Mix Control GUI. My Scarlett won't run under WASAPI. 

Anyhow I was just wondering if anyone has a better way to do this? Is there a Screen capture program that can use ASIO audio?

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: ASIO/ Screen capture and CbB 2018/11/17 10:09:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SergeQ 2018/11/17 20:43:43
You can have a look at OSB: https://obsproject.com/ with ASIO module https://github.com/pkviet/obs-asio

But there is no way to avoid hardware/driver limitations.
For some devices:
* if some software is using the device in ASIO mode, no other software can work with it in parallel. So other software can not capture the input nor output which is received/sent to the device
For some devices:
* if some software is using the device in ASIO mode, it can be used in parallel for Windows Audio. So at least it is possible output Windows Audio in parallel with ASIO output to the hardware. Still, it is not possible "record" ASIO output

Sure it is possible to install software ASIO/Windows audio "devices", ASIO4ALL, connect different interfaces with audio and digital cables. Obviously all that is error prone, inconvenient and can be unstable.

For that to work without mentioned problem, and audio interface should:
* allow multiple ASIO applications in parallel, also with multiple Windows Audio in parallel, on separate "channels" for each
* allow routing any output (including ASIO) as input (for ASIO or Windows Audio). Better as several "buses" which can be routed as inputs.

So far, I know only one company which produce devices/drivers with such properties: RME.
F.e. with Babyface Pro and one Mic connected to it I can:
* in (ASIO) DAW record into separate tracks: mic, Skype output, Windows output
* send as Skype input a mix of mic, DAW output and Windows output
* record in screen capture a (separate) mix of mic, Skype output, DAW output and Windows output
* listen in headphones a (separate) mix of Skype output, DAW output and Windows output
It is only possible to do because BP has:
* 6 independent stereo buses
* each bus is a mix of: 6 stereo inputs (see later) + 6 stereo software outputs
* an input can be hardware input or corresponding (by number) bus output
And so: required number of mixes is prepared on different buses, these buses are routed as "inputs" for corresponding applications.

That is not an Ad for RME. Just an explanation what is required to organize such operation mode.
From what I have observed, TotalMix has confused many people. So most reviews about RME are
about "sound quality" and "driver stability" only 

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Cactus Music
Re: ASIO/ Screen capture and CbB 2018/11/25 16:06:53 (permalink)
Thanks Alexey for, as always, having a very clear answer. 
That explains what I was guessing might be the problem with using ASIO, I'll just stay with WASAPI for now. 
, sorry slow answer, we don't get notifications anymore and I forgot I started the thread. 

I am downloading OBS as I type  Last night CamStudio must have crashed 5 times and I wasted an hour and got nothing done....  
Now my son in law who plays guitar also wants me to make a Cake Tutorial video as the all the  uTubes he watched  just got him even more confused. I gave him X1 LE a year ago and he's made no progress... He just asked me what a Buss was?  

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

azslow3
Re: ASIO/ Screen capture and CbB 2018/11/25 17:57:11 (permalink)
Cactus Music
I am downloading OBS as I type  Last night CamStudio must have crashed 5 times and I wasted an hour and got nothing done....  

I must admit OBS is not my favorite. There is ASIO module and I have tested it with fancy routing I have described. But for "easy capture" I use Active presenter.

Now my son in law who plays guitar also wants me to make a Cake Tutorial video as the all the  uTubes he watched  just got him even more confused. I gave him X1 LE a year ago and he's made no progress... He just asked me what a Buss was? 

Children...
Tracktion can be a better choice for impatient kids (independent from age).

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Cactus Music
Re: ASIO/ Screen capture and CbB 2018/11/25 18:27:09 (permalink)
Well the reason I gave him Cakewalk is it's the only one I really know how to use. 
I tried to talk him into buying a port-a studio device. He will never use midi. Oh and he is 44 years old :) 

I like the look of OBS way more than Camstudio. It certainly has good menus and a lot better GUI. It shows the Scarlett as a audio choice but so far I can't get any audio. I opened CbB and when I hit the space bar it crashed CbB. 
SO back to WASAPI and on board audio I guess. But this is an improvment from Cam studio for sure. 

I'll also look at the other one you mentioned. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

azslow3
Re: ASIO/ Screen capture and CbB 2018/11/25 20:33:24 (permalink)
Cactus Music
 Oh and he is 44 years old :) 

That was the reason for my smile and the age comment
The first time I have seen Tracktion was a birthday of a colleague (probably 62th...). When I have asked him why he is not using Sonar, his answer was: "I have Music Creator, a nice problem but it is complicated... In Tracktion everything is intuitive".

SO back to WASAPI and on board audio I guess.

That is what I have tried to explain. Without RME there is no chance to do this easy and without troubles...

Cactus Music
Re: ASIO/ Screen capture and CbB 2018/11/26 19:21:00 (permalink)
Well OBS is very stable and I managed to shoot over 3 hours of tutorials last night.
It's a keeper. I also likes the looks of the other software Active presenter, but have not dug into it yet, At $149 to purchase I'll just wait and see, I guess the free trial version leaves watermarks which may or may not bother me.

But so far I really do like OBS so thanks for that recommendation. I see it does a lot more like editing etc so will possibly try to learn more about the software. It's kind of funny, here I am making tutorials on how to use software ( Cakewalk) while having to learn how to use software ( OBS ) . 
The only issue is not being able to make a screencapture with audio  with the Scarlett in ASIO mode to show people how to set things up. But what I can do is make the screencapture without audio and then add the audio later.

Oh I could not get the OBS ASIO plug in to work,, will try again but wanted to get on with the project.

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1