2018/11/18 22:18:50 (permalink)

Always Thinking of You

Always Thinking of You
https://www.reverbnation....always-thinking-of-you

6 Replies Related Threads

thegaltieribrothers
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 319
    Re: Always Thinking of You 2018/11/19 11:36:16 (permalink)
    Hi Rex,

Nice idea and lyrics - didn't like the choice of strings which made it sound a bit dated + disguised your excellent vocal a bit.

Needed a more dramatic change of chords in possibly a bridge part + more stop and starts to emphasize the hook a bit more would be my choice.

Thanks for sharing.

all the best!

paul
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Always Thinking of You 2018/11/19 15:07:15 (permalink)
    This is a well put together piece. Sounds so close to radio ready it isn't funny. Good vox. Nice hook. 
    Might be because I'm listening on headphones. The mix has maybe a 2% reduction in bass over what might be desirable IMO. The strings mentioned above didn't really stick out to me as being old, they did seem to be a little more up front that I might have put them,  but that's me.

Overall this would be more than acceptable as shop material to an interest. Nicely done!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: Always Thinking of You 2018/11/20 00:49:27 (permalink)
    IMO you have a really good country voice and that's one of the reasons your music has that radio ready quality to it. I wish you a lot of success with your efforts.

One thing that stood out to me here was that thumping drum every other verse. Kinda distracting IMO.

Also, I didn't get the "ending days are done" lyrics. I know what you're saying, but it doesn't sound right. Again, just my take on it.

I like the song. Thanks for posting.

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Always Thinking of You 2018/11/20 11:59:48 (permalink)
    very nice Rex - your voice sounds great on this one.
    I would love to hear some harmonies here and there
    RexRed
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 453
    Re: Always Thinking of You 2018/11/21 11:21:57 (permalink)
    Thank you very much for your excellent critiques and compliments peeps!!

I find all of the suggestions valid to some point and some I will be able to remedy with further edits of this song.

Adding a bridge may be the hardest suggestion of all because the music sections are loops that I purchased and chopped up and mixed and mastered in Cakewalk.

I can perhaps EQ the music to make the strings and drums less present (great suggestions) and I agree it is slight on the bass where I might add another bass to give it more distinct clarity on the low end which would balance some of the shreaky high end.

The music has been a big problem in this song with it stepping on the vocals and I have used compression sidechains to remedy that as much as possible, it was much worse than it is now.

Harmony and dubbing vocals would help the vocal stand out more and give it more fidelity and dynamics. Adding vocals is a great suggestion too!

Perhaps if I add expressive violins to existing strings it might give it less of a dated feel.

Like the song The Morning After by Maureen McGovern with the typical overproduced orchestra feel it is a bit better than that (though I love that song) but I can see the comparison and I do not mind that point being put forth.

Like and old TV show intro like McMillan and Wife or Quincy hehe it does have better fidelity than that but I can still see the comparison. :) 

My voice reminds me of two singers in this song, one, is Glen Campbell and the other is Jackson Brown.

On the Glen Campbell side that is where the dated feel seems to come out the most.

I will try and edit some of the concerns and please check back for future edits of this song.

:)
    thegaltieribrothers
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 319
    Re: Always Thinking of You 2018/11/21 11:42:24 (permalink)
    Hi RexRed,

Your vocals are excellent and I wouldn't change a thing about them, it was only the string sound which I did not enjoy.

Apologies for using the 'dated' adjective I didn't mean to get you second-guessing yourself or to take away from your performance in any way.

You have a great voice for Country and I personally would love to sound like Glen Campbell or Jackson Brown.

Thanks again for sharing.

all the best!

paul
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1