Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X?

Author
lossmentality
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
2018/11/22 02:29:19 (permalink)

Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X?

Hello All -

I'm thinking of getting an Icon QCon Pro X. I've found a few threads on this board about it (or the older Icon Pro), but they're all a few years old now. Back then, it seems people got some of the functionality working, but not all (or maybe they did, but never reported so on the forums).

Can anyone speak to how well the  Pro X is currently working with Cakewalk? Specifically:
  • Which Pro X controls do not work with Cakewalk? I'm fine with having to do whatever extra configuration, mapping, etc... that needs to be done. What I'm asking is which controls, if any, can't be made to work at all.
  • Can it be configured to open Pro Channel plugs, and then use it to adjust their parameters?
  • Same question as above, but for plugins in the FX bin?
  • Is azslow3's (a forum member here) AZ Controller useful with the Pro X in order to overcome any of its limitations?
  • I've read that a modified .dll was needed in the past - is this still true (see this post)?
....or anything else you'd like to say about it. 

Thanks very much!
post edited by lossmentality - 2018/11/25 03:09:58

Jeff

18 Replies Related Threads

lossmentality
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/28 03:59:22 (permalink)
    Sorry for the bump - just hoping for a reply...

Jeff
    msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/28 09:14:26 (permalink)
    The Icon QCon Pro X uses the Mackie Control protocol.

Unless you're doing something really odd, you shouldn't need to use Azslow3's AZ Controller - the stock Mackie Control should work just fine.

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    Steev
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 314
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/28 10:37:38 (permalink)
    These have been know to be riddled with problems, sorry to say. very nice looking VU meter bridge, but they pretty much were designed to be used favoring Steinberg Cubase/Nuendo users. And less than stellar Mackie protocol performance/integration/control.
    Anyone familiar with Sony's old version of Mackie protocol will know what I mean.

Spending hours creating customized MIDI maps and having to remap (and sometimes, do it all over again) next time you fire up your DAW can be very frustrating, is a real buzz kill to the creative work flow.
     And than Yamaha acquired Steinberg and developed the Nuage Dente based system and well, Steinberg's support was never anything close to Cakewalk's, soooooooo.

Cakewalk's support for Mackie protocol is rock solid for Mackie Universal DAW Controller and nearly identical Behringer X Touch ( which has led VU meters built into channel strips). They are so close you can use Mackie documentation for problems with the X Touch.
     The X Touch also includes an Ethernet port and 2 extra USB ports as well as standard 5 pin dyn MIDI ports great for an extremely wide variety of connectivity, especially with many excellent Behringer digital mixers and snakes, and future expandability with other devices utilizing "Dante" Ethernet connectivity with things like Focusrite RedNet systems and Steinberg Nuage. (adding 100's of channels through WiFi or a CAT6 Internet cable.
     Oh yeah, it won't be long before it becomes affordable, and we're ALL going to want to do that.

I have absolutely NO IDEA how Cakewalk's support for Mackie protocol will work for the Icon QCon Pro X latest "Firmware" version. Have they even issued a better more reliable firmware version in the past year??? THAT would be the first piece of research I'd look for before entering this type of rather expensive and most certainly time consuming crap shoot.

From what I've ever read, Icon QCon Pro X has the most % of bad reviews of DAW controllers.
     However setting up any type of DAW and MIDI controllers requires a rather steep learning curve and understanding that can't be reliably through reviews, as some times they are tainted with the bias of unreasonable expectations of what equipment actually does, and what we want it to do..

I do know Mackie protocol does not have support Cakewalk's ProChannel, or any particular DAW specific technologies. It is a very simple set of the most commonly used MIDI control parameters for multi-track recording meant to be openly shared for any DAW on any platform, nothing more, nothing less and that's what makes it so ultimately and universally reliable.
    post edited by Steev - 2018/11/28 11:21:54

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
    Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
    Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
    Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
    Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/28 13:31:32 (permalink)
    Steev
    ... I do know Mackie protocol does not have support Cakewalk's ProChannel, or any particular DAW specific technologies...

Azslow3 made a fix for allow control of the EQ and Track compressor in the ProChannel.

i've incorporated his fixes into my branch, along with some other fixes.

You can download the updated DLL here:

http://msmcleod.co.uk/cakewalk/MackieControl_64bit.zip

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/28 18:22:59 (permalink)
    Steev
     I do know Mackie protocol does not have support Cakewalk's ProChannel, or any particular DAW specific technologies. It is a very simple set of the most commonly used MIDI control parameters for multi-track recording meant to be openly shared for any DAW on any platform, nothing more, nothing less and that's what makes it so ultimately and universally reliable.

Mackie protocol does not support any DAW parameters. It in general ignore all commonly used/defined MIDI operations. From computer perspective (and so from ANY DAW perspective), Mackie device is a keyboard with 100+ keys, 9 pitch bend controllers and 8 knobs. Nothing more, nothing less.

For QCon. There was report that modern firmware make it Mackie compatible. So no more strange ranges for faders and mixed buttons. Initially, QCon developers have written they have not found (!!!???) Mackie documentation to emulate it right. But probably they have found it later (open and for decades in Google...) and adjusted the firmware. 

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    pgw
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 705
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/28 18:27:40 (permalink)
    I have zero experience of either, but the QCon Pro G2 looks more promising than Pro X since it has an overlay for Sonar included, i.e. one can assume it´s supported. Another + is that it´s cheaper.

Sonar/CbB wasn´t even mentioned among Pro X´s supported DAW:s.
    I.e. I´d look for reviews of the Pro G2 instead.
    https://iconproaudio.com/product/qcon-pro-g2/

Windows 10 (LTSB) - i7 8700 - ASUS GTX1060 -16 GB Corsair Vengeance - Samsung SSD´s - Seagate HD´s - RME FF400 - & too many geetars & amps
    Steev
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/29 13:12:19 (permalink)
    pgw
    I have zero experience of either, but the QCon Pro G2 looks more promising than Pro X since it has an overlay for Sonar included, i.e. one can assume it´s supported. Another + is that it´s cheaper.

Sonar/CbB wasn´t even mentioned among Pro X´s supported DAW:s.
    I.e. I´d look for reviews of the Pro G2 instead.
    https://iconproaudio.com/product/qcon-pro-g2/

The  QCon Pro G2 sells retail for about $80 more than the Behringer X Touch The G2 is a totally redesigned unit from the original less the cool meter bridge, too bad about that, but that's a good indication that the firmware is newer(?), but still only has LIMITED support FOR MCU and HUI which is another TWO too bads.
     However that doesn't make it a bad unit pre se, just one that's designed and destined to become obsolete much sooner, although I don't see anyone dropping support for MCU protocol any time soon.
     Behringer's flashable firmware has been around for a while, and has had new features and functionality added thru the years, and all deliver rock solid performance and expected results.
     The X Touch is built like a tank, has fast, quiet, responsive, and very pro grade tactile touch sensitive 100mm ALPS faders.
     And most importantly for a MCU protocol based DAW controller the X Touch has the exact control functions as does the original Mackie. All buttons and rotaries are labeled and function identically to the original Mackie which was designed and built using the very open source friendly Apple Logic DAW. Hence the need for Overlays for use in other DAWs.

The QCon was designed based on the not so or as much open source friendly Steinberg family of DAWs, and so does not have exact open source control support.

The QCon has no dedicated "encoder assignment" buttons that give one button instant access to Track, Pan, EQ, sends,  audio plugins, and MIDI instrument control.

The QCon has no dedicated "modifier" buttons M1-M4. These are used for a whole host and set list of user defined and customized functionality. (See Mackie Control user manual for details)

No dedicated automation read, write, touch, latch or

No dedicated "Control Group" buttons Track, Buss, Main, Save, Undo, Redo.

WITHOUT THESE TYPICAL DEDICATED CONTROLS ON THE CONTROL SURFACE UNIT ITSELF, YOU DO NOT HAVE THE COMPLETE FULL SUPPORT, BENEFITS OF CONTROL, ACCESS, AND FUNCTIONALITY OF MACKIE UNIVERSAL CONTROL PROTOCOL.
    What is very commonly known as MCU.

While the QCon does come with multiple overlays including one for SONAR and the X Touch does not, the QCon only has one USB connection and 2 1/4" foot controller jacks, it doesn't offer nearly as much present and future expandability options as does the X Touch with it's extra Ethernet, standard 5 pin dyn MIDI, and 2 extra USB hub/ports and individual scribble strips above each channel.
     Believe me, you will really appreciate the extra back panel connectivity IMMEDIATLY.

Getting and making an overlay template for the X Touch for SONAR/ CbB is very easy to get. Here in this forum and on Behringer's X Touch user forum.
     Ask, and I'll be happy to send you one vis email in .PDF format free of charge. 

And so last but not least, ANYONE in this forum or the thousands to millions of other users elsewhere who has EVER used and understood  Mackie or X Touch can help you out, troubleshoot, and give you advice concerning these nearly identical, tried & true proven with track records, and truly world class universal DAW controllers. 

Or if you prefer to try and reinvent the wheel with a QCon as the new top dawg maybe, maaaaybeee (?) Have fun trying..

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
    Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

Steev
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/29 14:23:59 (permalink)
    I just got a newsletter from the "Focusrite Plugin Collective"  with featured artist Pete Townsend of "The Who" video raving about another great USB DAW Controller.
     It would be a KILLER compliment of control sitting right along side of my X Touch! The Softube Console 1 MKII is on sale with $100(us) off.
     Offering all the dedicated knobs, controls for Hardware/Software Mixer with SSL SL 4000 E Plug-in USB Controller. It  of course supports all Softubes plugins, many already provided free from Focusrite, it also has support for hands-on control of UAD Plug-ins, Apollo users should rejoice on that one.. This will turn my X Touch into the closest thing to a large format SSL console I can get without spending, umm, around say $100,000 for a used one!
     Click on the link above for 55 five star reviews provided by Sweetwater.. A very trusted name in all things musical and easy credit terms. 

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

poetnprophet
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/29 20:03:33 (permalink)
    Some of the claims above are just plain WRONG.  I have a Qcon ProX, I like it.  I don't use Cakewalk at all anymore so I can't comment on how well it works with that.  Is it a VS700C?  Hell no, not even close. But it does function well enough with any basic MCU protocol.  I'm using Reaper, and there are a few MCU-like configurations to use, all a little different.  I don't know enough about how to program protocols or any of that, but I am able to use all of the functions of this controller well enough without too much trouble on my end.  There are lots of things I wish could be better, and of course the G2 came out just after I purchased the ProX.  At the end of the day, I am able to control transport, track controls, sends, plugins, and automation.  And although looks have nothing to do with function, this thing looks amazing.  I have a full review on gearslutz.  

Cakewalk by Bandlab
    i7 8700k, 32GB, Win 10pro
    MOTU 828es, VS700(idle)
    Hulk 990, NT1A
    Slate Digital, Izotope, Waves
    www.kdubbproductions.com
    https://www.bandlab.com/kdubbproductions 
    azslow3
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/29 21:38:07 (permalink)
    poetnprophet
    Some of the claims above are just plain WRONG.  I have a Qcon ProX, I like it.  I don't use Cakewalk at all anymore so I can't comment on how well it works with that.  Is it a VS700C?  Hell no, not even close. But it does function well enough with any basic MCU protocol.  I'm using Reaper, and there are a few MCU-like configurations to use, all a little different.  I don't know enough about how to program protocols or any of that, but I am able to use all of the functions of this controller well enough without too much trouble on my end.  There are lots of things I wish could be better, and of course the G2 came out just after I purchased the ProX.  At the end of the day, I am able to control transport, track controls, sends, plugins, and automation.  And although looks have nothing to do with function, this thing looks amazing.  I have a full review on gearslutz. 

I do not see many "wrong" places, except what I have already written before and
    "original Mackie which was designed and built using the very open source friendly Apple Logic DAW".
    Still public Mackie documentation is from EMagic time... so before Apple.

Early problems with Qcon Pro are known. There are reports that is fixed, but not many and not deep.

G2 has less buttons then MCU. So something will definitively work differently. What exactly? That requires exact comparison.

Reaper has more or less normal MCU implementation, with Klinke extension. But even with that it can not be used as "a reference".

X-Touch I have (remotely) compared myself. Each control and each message. It is exact "clone" of Mackie. Faders are different. I have forgotten to check on big X-Touch, but X-Touch compact has low resolution faders for sure.

I have googled only one claim G2 has 10bit faders, from the source I do not trust (not the manufacturer).

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    poetnprophet
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/30 00:20:15 (permalink)
    Hey azslow, don't worry I don't understand most of your technical talk anyway so I wasn't referring to you  :)
    The claims that the Xtouch is built like a tank are wrong.  I got my hands on one just briefly, and instantly was not impressed once I touched it.  Everything feels cheap, everything thing is plastic and the exact opposite of the ProX.  It literally feels like half price stuff.  The only thing I wish the proX had that the Xtouch does is rubber/quiet buttons.  Yes it is an exact copy of the MCU, but if you want an MCU get an MCU, it's better than the Xtouch in every way except it doesn't have a meter per channel or rubber buttons.  
    This:
       No dedicated automation read, write, touch, latch 
    And this:
       No dedicated "Control Group" buttons Track, Buss, Main, Save, Undo, Redo.
    are also wrong.  Well, there's no buss/track/etc button (if you use reaper this is totally moot!), but there is save, undo, and all the automations, and lots of other useful and common buttons, and quite a bit of the buttons can be programmed as needed depending on how you have it setup, and on and on.
    None of these controllers are perfect, at least to me.  There are trade offs to them all, whether missing meters, missing particular buttons, missing build quality, missing a good price, missing vpots/channel, etc.  Even the mighty VS700 isn't perfect since it can't be expanded and the main reason why I needed one that does.  The number of expandable control surfaces is....well I think only the few we've mentioned already, Icon, Behringer, and Mackie.

Cakewalk by Bandlab
    MOTU 828es, VS700(idle)
    Hulk 990, NT1A
    www.kdubbproductions.com
    Steev
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/30 00:23:01 (permalink)
    Glad to hear of someone who actually has a good experience with the QCon and doesn't need the extra connectivity options and full MCU support.
     However not needing or even liking Cakewalk and posting in the Cakewalk forum is, umm, ahhhh, oh never mind..

And thanks for the info azslow3, I didn't even realize Mackie made the controller back in the EMagic days.
     I really liked the Windows version of Logic and preferred it over Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 back in the day.
     And if Apple kept up Windows support, good chance I wouldn't be posting in this forum either, LoL.

But by the time SONAR 4 Producer was released I didn't care anymore that I was a Logic orphan.
     I shut down my Mac and jumped ship when OSx came out with core audio drivers, what a freak'in time consuming and prohibitively expensive train wreck that was! 
     But today as far as I'm concerned Logic is the reasonable equivalent of Cakewalk for the Mac.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

poetnprophet
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/30 00:44:40 (permalink)
    I still have CW installed, it's not that I don't need it or like it...in fact the opposite, it's CW that screwed me over.  And, I'm still a forum member, and I'm here every now and then to see if something ever gets fixed so I can return.

You sure jump to a lot of conclusions about things that have nothing to do with you.

Cakewalk by Bandlab
    MOTU 828es, VS700(idle)
    Hulk 990, NT1A
    www.kdubbproductions.com
    Steev
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/30 01:06:06 (permalink)
    BTW, I'm not sure what the bit resolution of the faders on the X Touch are, or if it is even different from the compact. Behringer has always been lax with providing detailed documentation (to put it mildly).
     But you can match it to run smoothly with finer control by right clicking on any channels VU meter and set the  range to match fader movements to the X Touch.
    My X Touch feels and responds smoothly with SONAR/CbB VU meters set to the 42 db range.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

Steev
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/30 12:46:23 (permalink)
    poetnprophet
    I still have CW installed, it's not that I don't need it or like it...in fact the opposite, it's CW that screwed me over.  And, I'm still a forum member, and I'm here every now and then to see if something ever gets fixed so I can return.

You sure jump to a lot of conclusions about things that have nothing to do with you.

Your here because CW screwed you over? I jump to conclusions about things that don't have anything to do with me? 

Hee, hee, my, my, my how you draw such negative conclusions, such negative opinions..

Admittedly you can't figure out how to make Cakewalk work for you, nor get your QCon to work with Cakewalk.
     News flash Kdubbs, I can't honestly see how that is Cakewalk's or my fault.

Maybe and hopefully you might find a solution.. But doubtful you will find it by criticizing others by posting replies in forums that offer no absolutely no positive contributions or solutions at all..

Didn't you used to try that on ACIDplanet back in the day, or are you another Kdubbs with an equally nasty attitude?

Well I guess this thread deserves a timely lock out. I "guess" the answer to the current state of the QCon Icon Pro X support seems to be an unequivocal "Same As It Ever Was.." and was fixed with a newer but not necessarily better model???
     Only time and money will tell..

Steev on Bandlab.com

Pro Tools.

poetnprophet
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/30 18:58:49 (permalink)
    Nope, I don't do acid.  I have never tried to use my Qcon with CW ever, and neither any of the smart ones on this forum or bandlab support could help resolve my issue so there's more fact checking for you, Mr. Trump.

And lastly, the op came here for advice on the Qcon ProX.  Did you give anything helpful at all??  Any hands-on experience to share, second hand experience, anything remotely empirical?  Seemed like everything that you spoke about was something you "read" and every single bit of it was negative.  So, somebody has to be here to set the record straight.

hat tip

Cakewalk by Bandlab
    MOTU 828es, VS700(idle)
    Hulk 990, NT1A
    www.kdubbproductions.com
    azslow3
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/11/30 22:28:35 (permalink)
    Peace friends...

lossmentality
    Re: Can anyone tell me the current state of support for QCon Icon Pro X? 2018/12/02 06:23:13 (permalink)
    I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my post (and thanks to @msmcleod for the lib).

You've all given me more of a baseline to go from. I've been considering the XTouch as well, it's just I was able to find more info on it with regards to Cakewalk, so I didn't bother asking about it.

I've got all the connectivity I need already, so that's not really a deciding factor, though of course it doesn't hurt to have more and so is still a plus on the side of the XTouch.

While I knew the Pro X doesn't list sonar support or come with an overlay, I didn't know the G2 does, so I'll add that to the mix (pun intended). 

Jeff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1