Racetrack Playa

Author
bjornpdx
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 759
2018/11/22 19:27:59 (permalink)

Racetrack Playa

https://soundcloud.com/orygun/racetrack-playa

Racetrack Playa is a dry lake in Death Valley famous for the sailing rocks that inscribe "racetracks" in the ground. Google it for more details - pretty interesting.

Anyway, I want to use this song as background music for a future video, but I noticed a lot of distortion coming from the strumming guitars. I wondered why I didn't notice it a couple of years ago when I composed it.  I can EQ it out at about 4200 Hz and it's fine then.  My wife however doesn't notice the distortion which lead me to investigate further. It seems that I only hear the distortion in my left ear so that's weird and kinda scary.

So let me know if you hear any distortion especially around the 2:15 mark or if you have any suggestions.
Thanks

Ilya Efimov  Duduk  which is a fantastic vst
NI Strum
Omnisphere
Dimension Pro

Bjorn
soundcloud.com/orygun
www.bjornfredrickson.com
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper

9 Replies Related Threads

Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: Racetrack Playa 2018/11/26 03:02:39 (permalink)
    That's just great Bjorn. I loved it.

I didn't hear any distortion, but I did notice the guitar in the left channel kind of has this ringing quality to it at that 2:15 mark that's hard to describe. It's barely noticeable. If I hadn't been looking for it i never would have detected it. It almost sounds like the ringing trail of a hit on a Chinese cymbal. It sounds like it's supposed to be there. It's fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Bill
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Racetrack Playa 2018/11/26 14:32:06 (permalink)
    very nice Bjorn - almost hypnotic and fitting with the subject matter.
    I know all about the stones - very weird.
    No distortion here - have you been swimming recently?
    bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: Racetrack Playa 2018/11/26 16:44:21 (permalink)
    Bill and Daryl
    Thanks for listening.
    Nope, haven't been swimming lately.  That slight ringing that Bill described is really pronounced to me so something's going on. I have a doc appt next week.

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: Racetrack Playa 2018/11/27 14:47:40 (permalink)
    I didn't really hear any distortion. Very nice Ambient track with that unique "offish" drone pad in the background.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re: Racetrack Playa 2018/11/28 09:18:36 (permalink)
    Hi, Bjorn,

This is a very nice cinematic sounding ambient piece with lots of interesting dramatic sounding melodies weaved throughout the nicely textured mix!

I didn't hear any noticeable distortion at the 2:15 area, but I believe I can just barely hear the very slight "chimey" ring on the left guitar part that Bill mentioned, but it's barely there, and a light touch of EQ could probably soften it to blend a bit better with the backing pad. Although, it's actually perfectly fine the way it is.

Anyway, great piece of music, Bjorn, and perfect for a backing track to a scenic video about the" sliding rocks" at Racetrack Playa.  I remember seeing a segment about them a few years back on "60 Minutes", pretty cool story!

Really nice job, Bjorn, have a great day!
    Bob
    dougk1824
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 272
    Re: Racetrack Playa 2018/11/29 16:30:20 (permalink)
    That was cool - an interesting and effective composition.  To me it had a sort of melancholy vibe.  I thought the acoustic sounded fine - I didn't hear distortion.
    thegaltieribrothers
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 319
    Re: Racetrack Playa 2018/12/02 18:32:45 (permalink)
    Lovely atmospheric ambient piece.

Well put together + guitar was fine to my ears.

Very enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

paul
    biodiode
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1202
    Re: Racetrack Playa 2018/12/02 21:33:19 (permalink)
    This is quite different from your recent run of songs. Really atmospheric, melodic and hypnotic. As Bill pointed it is the left channel guitar that has a ringing effect but definitely can be fixed in the mix assuming you have all the stems. I had to dig out my HD650's to hear this ringing mind you so it is very slight.

Really nice piece this one Bjorn.

www.biodiode.com  
    https://soundcloud.com/biodiode
    PC Specs :-Sonar Platinum,
    Fractal Design Define R4 Case, Asus X-99 Deluxe motherboard, Intel Core i7 5960X Processor, Bequiet BK010 Dark Rock Cooler, 32GB - 2400mhz Corsair memory, 650W Bequiet Dark Pro PSU, 1GB XFX Radeon R5 Passive GFX, 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, 1 x 3TB WesterDigital Black HDD, LG - BluRay Combo Drive, Windows 10, Kensington SlimBlade Trackball, LG34UM88C 34-Inch 3440 x 1440 UltraWide IPS Monitor
    burgerproduction
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    Re: Racetrack Playa 2018/12/03 15:01:46 (permalink)
    Really nice track. Reminds me of a CD I have somewhere called Guitarrorists.
    I think the sound is ringing on the strings - my strings tend to make that sound when they're getting a bit old. Or perhaps you had the mic too close to the fretboard, but it doesn't jump out at me.
    It could also be that we can't hear it as well as you because Soundcloud have compressed the track for streaming and cut some of the highs.
    I would just take the high frequency down a notch, perhaps use some compression on those to get them under control.
    Your wife probably doesn't hear the noise because A) she's a woman and women lose their high range hearing with age (my wife no longer hears cicadas) B) she's not listening for it, like you are ;)

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
    Check out my music :
    https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1