Helpful ReplyZynaptic Intensity

Author
Marshall
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
2018/11/23 14:16:12 (permalink)

Zynaptic Intensity

This is currently on sale - is any one using it?

I have been excited about it since reading Paul White's review in the September edition of Sound on Sound. So, now it is on sale, I have downloaded the demo and have been trying it out this morning. I'm a little underwhelmed. 

It is quite good, but for mastering, I can't get it to do anything quite as well Ozone Advanced, which I already own. I should add that I am far from an expert on Ozone, but I am pretty happy with the results I get - and that is without fiddling and tweaking for hours. 

I have also tried Intensity on a vocal track, but I couldn't get it to sound as good as Waves Scheps Omni Channel combined with Waves Scheps 73 EQ, which has been my go to combination for a while now. 

I guess I will save my money and not buy Intensity - how about that for self restraint? I'd be interested in other users experiences. I honestly am beginning to think that once you have a bunch of Waves and Izotope stuff, you don't need much else! 
Bajan Blue
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2029
Re: Zynaptic Intensity 2018/11/25 16:27:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Marshall 2018/11/25 17:06:01
Hi Bill
I just read the article by Paul White (we're always a few months behind here!!)
Anyway I downloaded the Intensity trial and gave it a run.
As a test, I was using a track I have just mixed and originally Mastered with Ozone 8
I disabled Ozone and put on Intensity
When you first put it on the track it definitely sounded different, perhaps even more open. I adjusted the settings until I got something I thought, initially, sounded better.
But after a couple listens I was not so sure.
So I tried a few combinations, Intensity plus a limiter (PSP Xenon) Intensity on its own, Intensity into Ozone.
Then I tried Eqivocate, that I also use.
Without doubt Eqivocate was best to my ears.
Now I'm no Mastering expert - in fact I only do this on our demos as all our stuff is mixed and Mastered for us.
In conclusion then, after a couple of listens I was not sure as to what I was getting from Intensity, so I am not going to bother getting it.
Cheers
Nigel

Nigel
Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
www.devinelie.com

Marshall
Re: Zynaptic Intensity 2018/11/25 17:12:27 (permalink)
Hi Nigel

You and I both - I don’t think it’s all it has been hyped up to be. I have huge respect for Paul White and I know this is all fairly subjective, but it’s not the first time in the past year or so I’ve read a product review of his which sounds like something is a real game changer, only to think REALLY?! when I try it out myself. Perhaps Intensity is aimed at real beginners who can’t go beyond two knobs, but at this price, it’s not beginner land. Therefore it’s best hope is to be marketed as a time saver, but to my ears, it’s not quite there yet.
Cheers.
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Zynaptic Intensity 2018/11/25 18:03:23 (permalink)
Well I bought it and think it's very useful. I have Ozone but shy away from it because there are six or more modules that all potentially interact, everything affecting each other, and I'm a noob who's only been at this stuff for 20 years. 

I'm not sure what I get from Intensity, either? What is it doing??? But I'm also not sure of the interplay between six or more Ozone modules, each with its accompanying universe of adjustable parameters. Ozone is however great for the multiband processing and mid-side you can do.

Intensity is two knobs and some bell curves to apply, plus a dry-wet mix. So simple, and I've found you set it to where it sounds GREAT then back the wet-dry mix down a bit, so it doesn't overhype the highs. 

Depends on how skilled you are with Ozone, really.  I've mucked about in there for hours. Even with the presets as starting points. The ultimate rabbit-hole. Intensity is 10 minutes tops.

I am trying to figure out if Intensity needs a limiter after it, not crushing anything, just to stop peaks. I'm not sure.

In my youth I remember being sucked in by the "gooderizer" of the BBE Sonic MAximizer!!! That got old fast. Too much sizzle. I hope Intensity is more than a sonic maximizer! ? 

But it's "based upon facial recognition algorithms" which to me does not pass the smell test, at all.

Anyone else using this?

cheers,
-Tom

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Zynaptic Intensity 2018/11/25 19:02:42 (permalink)
Well, two of these magical plugins blew my socks off this year: Zynaptiq Intensity and SoundTheory Gullfoss. Both incredible, but use them sparingly, otherwise you’ll be walking barefoot for a while.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
Bajan Blue
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2029
Re: Zynaptic Intensity 2018/11/25 20:57:54 (permalink)
Well I've just had another play, but on a single Guitar Track....and I found it good - as long as you back it off a bit!
Not sure if its worth getting still but have a few more demos to mix so shall continue - I am going to Intensely give a good thrashing!!
Nigel

Nigel
Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
www.devinelie.com

S.L.I.P.
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 949
Re: Zynaptic Intensity 2018/11/26 02:00:00 (permalink)
This is one of the best plugins I've found in many a year:

https://www.wavesfactory....&mc_eid=9c2dbb6de1
Marshall
Re: Zynaptic Intensity 2018/11/26 09:50:06 (permalink)
S.L.I.P.
This is one of the best plugins I've found in many a year:

https://www.wavesfactory....&mc_eid=9c2dbb6de1

That does look really interesting - I'll give the demo a try.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1