How often do you hear libraries that you recognize?

Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
2018/11/27 19:11:51 (permalink)

How often do you hear libraries that you recognize?

So a friend of mine just donated his old Kontakt library after upgrading to the newest version. That thing is LOADED to the absolute brim with solo much good stuff!!
But it leaves me curious; in general when listening to the radio or TV, commercials especially, or maybe watching movies - how often do you guys recognize samples and libraries that you've heard?

I personally haven't heard ENOUGH libraries to really put a finger on which is which just by sound. But I'm sure you guys who have been buying, using, and analysing libraries for years or decades can tell the difference, amiright?

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3

12 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: How often do you hear libraries that you recognize? 2018/11/27 19:46:08 (permalink)
    I hear Omnisphere often. It's all over TV shows and of course most-famously, Avatar.

Not a sample library, but I also hear Zebra2 in movies, made even more recognizable because you can actually buy the patches created by Hans Zimmer for the Batman movie.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: How often do you hear libraries that you recognize? 2018/11/28 13:13:19 (permalink)
    yep, all over tv and movies and ads, but i haven't spotted one in a real song yet

just a sec

Amicus717
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    Re: How often do you hear libraries that you recognize? 2018/11/28 14:31:01 (permalink)
    I hear the Damage library and a few other of the Heavyocity libraries being used in TV shows, every now and then.

One of the Criminal Mind's spin-off shows used a pretty recognizable Damage rhytmic patch in its underscore quite often...Offhand, I don't recall which spin-off, or which patch, but I remember hearing it and saying "Hey, I could have written this!"

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
    Kuusniemi
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 490
    Re: How often do you hear libraries that you recognize? 2018/11/28 19:31:26 (permalink)
    From time to time you hear and recognize libraries. I've found that when this happens you notice that the composer has been rather lazy and not done enough to mask them...

The bigger question with this topic is does it really matter... :D

Composer & Sound Designer at Really Slow Motion, Man Makes Noise,  Epic North,  YleX and Yle Puhe.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: How often do you hear libraries that you recognize? 2018/11/28 22:10:19 (permalink)
    I don't think it does matter. The purpose of TV and movie underscores is to set a mood, not to engage the listener. Sometimes, all that takes is a spooky-sounding drone.

Still, it's fun to listen for them. Kind of like how sound designers intentionally throw in the Wilhelm Scream as an inside joke for other sound designers.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: How often do you hear libraries that you recognize? 2018/11/28 23:35:22 (permalink)
    Kuusniemi
    From time to time you hear and recognize libraries. I've found that when this happens you notice that the composer has been rather lazy and not done enough to mask them...

It's kind of a contradiction.  We are not the target audience. 

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re: How often do you hear libraries that you recognize? 2018/11/29 01:12:57 (permalink)
    all the time, the amen break being the obvious one, used in loads of things.

my friends put out a sample cd years ago.. and it's used in a uk tv show road wars a lot. it's funny how much it's used. bought the arturia fairlight recently, and loads of the samples have been used in 80's music.
    the proteus sound modules I got ages ago, were well used years earlier

because the music I'm into , a lot is sampled from elsewhere like films etc. well used to be moreso.. so you watch a film , then it clicks.. "who sampled" will show you a lot of where stuff comes from.

tv "library music" is interesting, as sometimes it turns up in different shows.

this turned up in 2 tv shows.. one had to change it. "give us a clue" and "grange hill" in the UK being the one most will know.

davdud101
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1058
    Re: How often do you hear libraries that you recognize? 2018/11/29 15:05:43 (permalink)
    Kuusniemi

bitflipper
    I don't think it does matter. The purpose of TV and movie underscores is to set a mood, not to engage the listener. Sometimes, all that takes is a spooky-sounding drone.

Haha it's not so much that or whether it matters.... I just find it interesting!
    Definitely helps us with the cheap libraries know how easily we'll be found out 

I suppose the real reason for me is that it's fascinating to think that there are guys doing this stuff professionally who are making all the money in film/TV/radio, and yet they're using a lot of the same stuff that's available to us - with most of us being primarily hobbyists.

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
    Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
    Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
    DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
    Amicus717
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 555
    Re: How often do you hear libraries that you recognize? 2018/11/29 15:48:02 (permalink)
    davdud101
    Haha it's not so much that or whether it matters.... I just find it interesting!

I suppose the real reason for me is that it's fascinating to think that there are guys doing this stuff professionally who are making all the money in film/TV/radio, and yet they're using a lot of the same stuff that's available to us - with most of us being primarily hobbyists.

That's what I take from it, as well -- it is interesting to hear, and a small reminder that the stuff I have is what the pros also use. I also sort of thought that if I ever had the chance to score a show, I'd make more effort to hide riffs and motifs that might catch the ear of fellow library users. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
    michael diemer
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re: How often do you hear libraries that you recognize? 2018/11/29 17:35:47 (permalink)
    An interesting side note: I use Garritan Personal Orchestra some, so I'm very familiar with the sounds. And I discovered that in Dimension Pro, the "In The Venue"  flute, oboe, clarinet and bassoon are taken from the Garritan Pocket Orchestra, one of DP's sound sets. But they sound much better. In fact, all the sounds in the pocket orchestra sound better than than they do in GPO itself, even though they're much older. Obviously they have been fixed up by the sound engineers who made DP. For example, in GPO, changing velocity has little effect on the notes, but in Pocket it does. I tend to use original GPO though, because it has a depth setting which does make a difference. But I do use the pocket orch. harp, because it stands out much better in the mix, and harps tend to get lost easily. Also, I use the pocket orch clarinet because it just sounds better.

michael diemer
    Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
    32 GB ram
    1TB Western Digital Black X2
    Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
    UR22 interface
    Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
    GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: How often do you hear libraries that you recognize? 2018/11/29 19:32:39 (permalink)
    Amicus717
    davdud101

That's what I take from it, as well -- it is interesting to hear, and a small reminder that the stuff I have is what the pros also use. I also sort of thought that if I ever had the chance to score a show, I'd make more effort to hide riffs and motifs that might catch the ear of fellow library users. 

Kind of in the same line as with a pro who buys a Les Paul guitar that you could buy as well, all with the same strings, pickups, setup, etc.

It's what the pro does with it that sets them apart.

Tools are just tools.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: How often do you hear libraries that you recognize? 2018/11/29 19:43:13 (permalink)
    michael diemer
    An interesting side note: I use Garritan Personal Orchestra some, so I'm very familiar with the sounds. And I discovered that in Dimension Pro, the "In The Venue"  flute, oboe, clarinet and bassoon are taken from the Garritan Pocket Orchestra, one of DP's sound sets. But they sound much better. In fact, all the sounds in the pocket orchestra sound better than than they do in GPO itself, even though they're much older. Obviously they have been fixed up by the sound engineers who made DP. For example, in GPO, changing velocity has little effect on the notes, but in Pocket it does. I tend to use original GPO though, because it has a depth setting which does make a difference. But I do use the pocket orch. harp, because it stands out much better in the mix, and harps tend to get lost easily. Also, I use the pocket orch clarinet because it just sounds better.

I do not have GPO, but that is an interesting observation.  Garritan is designed to be a sample playback library, using the Aria player engine. 

When Cake started out to design Dimension, they were trying to create a synthesizer that played samples, with a bit more emphasis on the "synthesizer" part.  That resulted in the creation of Cakewalk's Expression Engine that Rapture and other Cake instruments also were later based around.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1